[comp.ai] Using the ATMS to Scan Homeric Verse

flash@qmc-cs.UUCP (09/29/87)

As a toy demo, I'm trying to use Johan deKleer's Assumption Based
Truth Maintenance System to scan Homer.  I'd appreciate comments.
I'd also appreciate it if somebody could email me a hundred or so
lines, so I don't have to type in any more.

rbbb@acornrc.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <297@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk>, flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) writes:
> ... to scan Homer.
> I'd also appreciate it if somebody could email me a hundred or so
> lines, so I don't have to type in any more.

[this doesn't really belong on this list, but this is a mighty stale
pointer.  I am hoping that this will jog the memory of someone else on the
list with more recent information.]

Sometime around about 1975 (in high school) I went to a seminar at the Nat.
Junior Classical League convention where someone from Dartmouth talked
about feeding the Aeneid to a computer program, doing the meter, counting
"et"s, etc.  I was under the impression that they had other classics on
line or on tape.

By the way, how should I type in ancient Greek on my U.S.A. keyboard?  I
can use ` and ' and ~ for accents, but what about the breath marks?

David Chase, Olivetti Research Center