[comp.ai] Is Computer Science Science?

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (01/01/70)

A couple of more recommended readings which came to me after a short
conversion with Denning:

"Cargo Cult Science" by Richard Feynman last chapter (1974 Comm. Addr.
at Caltech) in his Autobiography which I reread before bed last evening.

"An Empirical Study of FORTRAN Programs" Software -- Practice and
Experience by Don Knuth Feb. 1971, see intro and conclusions.

Knuth's paper in American Math. Monthly on the differences between
Algorithmic and Mathematical Thinking, around 1985.

These along with Simon, etc. mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, I would say CS exhibits some cargo cult characteristics.
This does not have to be, we can change it.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene

franklin@csv.rpi.edu.UUCP (01/01/70)

In article <2868@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>Status Quo? Hopefully a short note:
>The reason why you have to make some clear distinctions care partially
>be read in the latest CPSR [Computer Professionals for Social
>Responsibility] Newsletter.  It appears in the halls of places like
>Ames, JPL, DOE Labs, the NAS (Natl. Acad. Sci), NSF, etc.  Basically if
>you are not a science, you don't get funding from those Science
>Agencies.
>
>This is a difference in Geography (seen as an art) and Geology.
>I studied remote sensing for several years.  The fact that it was in a
>geography --->cartography -->graph --> "art" department was a big
>minus.  RS is pretty respectable in some circles, and like AI, disreputable

This may be improving.  NSF is soliciting proposals  to set up a center
for excellence in Geographic Information Systems.

------------
Wm. Randolph Franklin
   Preferred net address: Franklin@csv.rpi.edu
   Alternate net: wrf@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   Papermail: ECSE Dept, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
			  Troy NY, 12180
   Telephone: (518) 276-6077
   Telex: 6716050 RPI TROU     -- general RPI telex number.

------------
Wm. Randolph Franklin, RPI, 6026 JEC, (518) 276-6077, Franklin@csv.rpi.edu

gore@humble.rutgers.edu.UUCP (01/01/70)

testing. I do not feel that Computer Science is a science except
when I'm doing courses like Theory of Computation, Algorithms,
Principles of Programming Languages etc. Isn't this right? By the
way , this iis just a testing message. Turn a blind eye to it.

jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) (01/01/70)

In article <2868@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>be read in the latest CPSR [Computer Professionals for Social
>Responsibility] Newsletter.  It appears in the halls of places like

can you, or anyone, post the address of this
newletter?

jimh ...yeah you right

rapaport@sunybcs (William J. Rapaport) (09/08/87)

A colleague of mine in a philosophy department recently asked me if
I could give him "some major causal laws, principles or regularities
that are special to Computer Science....  (Every science has its special
laws, so what are some for Computer Science?)"

I vaguely recall a recent discussion on one of the nets about this.  If so,
is there some way I could get a copy of it (hard or soft)?  If not,
would anyone like to take a stab at answering this?

				William J. Rapaport
				Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science, SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260

(716) 636-3193, 3180

uucp:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
csnet:    rapaport@buffalo.csnet
internet: rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
          [if that fails, try:  rapaport%cs.buffalo.edu@cs.relay.net]
bitnet:	  rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet

corwin@apple.UUCP (Entomology Lab) (09/10/87)

In article <5113@sunybcs.UUCP> rapaport@sunybcs.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) writes:

>A colleague of mine in a philosophy department recently asked me if
>I could give him "some major causal laws, principles or regularities
>that are special to Computer Science....  (Every science has its special
>laws, so what are some for Computer Science?)"

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
"There is always one more bug"
"The differnce between a bug and a feature is that a feature is documented"
-cory
--

corwin@apple.[UUCP, CSNET]
Disclaimer: The preceding message is not based on reality.

johnson@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (09/10/87)

There is a general rule that disciplines with names like XXX Science are
not a science.  In spite of that, there are some general laws that arise
out of CS.  My favorite are all from computability and complexity theory,
though I do not do that kind of research and don't plan to.

Undecideability -- just because a question has an answer doesn't mean
that there is a method to answer it.  E.g. all programs will either
terminate or not terminate, but the halting problem is undecideable.

NP complete problems -- just because a proposed answer is very easy to
check for correctness does not mean that the question is easy to solve.
NP complete problems are those whose answer can be checked in polynomial
time but where any method for finding the solution must essentially
check all possible solutions, taking exponential time.  In a similar
manner, a proof can be easily checked for correctness, but it is
undecideable (in any interesting theory) whether there exists a proof
or not for a particular theorem.

shafto@aurora.UUCP (Michael Shafto) (09/11/87)

I just saw a tech report by Peter J. Denning on the topic
"Is computer science science?"

The tech report was issued through RIACS here at Ames.

It will allegedly appear as an editorial in the Oct., 1987,
CACM.  The title is something like "Paradigms Crossed" --
referring to the crossed paradigms of design vs. experimentation,
or engineering vs. science.

I would rate this "real good" on a scale of 1 to 10, and I
urge interested parties to watch for and read it.

Mike Shafto

ed298-ak@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache) (09/11/87)

In article <6195@apple.UUCP> corwin@apple.UUCP (Entomology Lab) writes:
>In article <5113@sunybcs.UUCP> rapaport@sunybcs.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) writes:

.... Does Computer Science have any laws?

>"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
>"There is always one more bug"
>"The differnce between a bug and a feature is that a feature is documented"
>-cory

	Hey those aren't laws from Computer Science, they are from the
	Science (Religion?) of Murphyology!

								E.L.

goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (09/13/87)

THERE ARE SOME RULES OF DESIGN, AS WELL, SUCH AS:
"Garbage In --> Garbage Out."
"If the user doesn't know what he/she/they want, or what computers in general
can or can't do with the current technology, then they're not going to like
the program you write for them."
"You can't build an expert system that is better than your human experts,
although perhaps more reliable."

RULES OF SOFTWARE PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT:
"No programmer, in the history of the trade, has yet underestimated the time
it will take to get a working program."
"It takes 90% of the time to do the first 90% of the job, and the other 90%
of the time to do the last 10% of the job."

IN SPITE OF RESEARCH, THE FOLLOWING ARE TENETS OF THE CURRENT WORKPLACE:
"There is no such thing as real computer security."
"There is always one more bug."

johnson's previous posting involved some hard, scientific/mathematical laws.
These are much looser.  Possibly someday, we will feel differently about them,
but they are definitely there today.

ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) (09/14/87)

I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
computer science.  To quote (and I have forgotten the attribution)
"Computer Science bears the same relationship to Real Science, that
plumbing bears to Hydrodynamics."

There is, however, Computer Engineering. (and Software Engineering,
and Systems Engineering etc.).  Science is the discovery of the new.
Engineering takes what the scientists have found, and finds ways
to do useful things with it.  The two are like Yin and Yang, closely
interrelated, but not the same, and each dependant on the other.

I am a computer engineer.

Randy Martens
"Reality - What a Concept !" - R.Williams

donahue@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Brian D. Donahue) (09/16/87)

In article <737@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) writes:
>I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
>computer science.  To quote (and I have forgotten the attribution)
>"Computer Science bears the same relationship to Real Science, that
>plumbing bears to Hydrodynamics."
>
>There is, however, Computer Engineering. (and Software Engineering,
>and Systems Engineering etc.).  Science is the discovery of the new.

From Webster's New World Dictionary:
science n. [<L. scire, know]
1. systematized knowledge derived from observation, study, etc.
2. a branch of knowledge, esp. one that systematizes facts, principles,
and methods  3. skill or technique

From the above definition, it seems fair & reasonable to call the field
of computers, computer SCIENCE.  After all, it is a branch of knowledge.
On the other hand, there's
From Webster's New World Dictionary:
engineering n. 1. the putting of scientific knowledge in various branches
to practical uses

According to the above definition, there is SCIENTIFIC knowledge before
engineering.

Not that any of this belongs in comp.ai, but can we get back to neural nets?
Does anyone know of a good introductory article/book to neural networks?
How do they "learn" anyways?  From what I understand, NN's basically tweak
the coefficients of your basic model/equation for the best fit to
your "answer".  What if you've got several thousand sets of data/"answers",
and there really isnt a very good single "fit"?  Can they detect certain
characteristics that might indicate that answer X might be more probable
than answer Y?  How do nueral nets compare with multiple regression
models of statistics/probability?

buenos adidas,
bd

---
no silly quotes here		{seismo, sdcsvax}!esosun!artecon!donahue

sierra@lll-tis.arpa (Frankie Sierra) (09/16/87)

In article <737@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) writes:
>I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
>computer science.  To quote (and I have forgotten the attribution)
>"Computer Science bears the same relationship to Real Science, that
>plumbing bears to Hydrodynamics."

In UNIX you can do Computer Piping :-)

>There is, however, Computer Engineering. (and Software Engineering,
>and Systems Engineering etc.).  Science is the discovery of the new.
				 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought that there was anything new, but that science is the
discovery of the unknown...Thus, when you enrich your knowledge,
that is a scientific behaviour in nature.  Yes!...a plumber is
a scientist when he discovers how to fix a given pipe without
any tutoring, or when he disprove one of his hypothesis by
discovering that a particular fix didn't work as he thought.
Thus, if a plumber is a scientist, then a programmer is a
scientist, by Modus Ponens on your statement (including tautology).

>Engineering takes what the scientists have found, and finds ways
>to do useful things with it.  The two are like Yin and Yang, closely
>interrelated, but not the same, and each dependant on the other.

Ahja!...Of course they are the same (Yin and Yang), for sure
unrelated, at times different, quite interrelated.  That depends
from your point of view; from your world....Going further on
Descartes,  I believe that if you can imagine it, it is posible!

>I am a computer engineer.

As I said, a software plumber, a scientist.

>Randy Martens
>"Reality - What a Concept !" - R.Williams

Frankie Sierra
sierra@lll-tis.arpa
"Reality - thats it !" - Alf

--
Frankie Sierra
sierra@lll-tis.ARPA

ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) (09/16/87)

In article <8300004@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>THERE ARE SOME RULES OF DESIGN, AS WELL, SUCH AS:
> (stuff deleted)
>RULES OF SOFTWARE PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT:
>"No programmer, in the history of the trade, has yet underestimated the time
>it will take to get a working program."

Wrong.  I have.  Twice.

Randy Martens ||| "Reality - What a Concept!" - R.Williams
 >-decvax--ucbvax----sun----------sunrock-\
 >---------rutgers->-rochester-<--kodak---->-elmgate--ram
 >---------ames---/             \-ritcv---/
disclaimer : The preceeding represents only my random babbling,
and certainly reflects no one else's opinions. Fnord.

ramesh@cvl.umd.edu (Ramesh Sitaraman) (09/17/87)

In article <737@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) writes:
>I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
>computer science.

Unfortunately you are totally wrong!!!  The scientific part of CS
deals with unravelling the nature of computation. This is the
object of study of theoretical areas such as Complexity theory,
recursive function theory, programming language semantics etc.
Computation is an abstract process but unlike other abstract
formalisms is immediately applicable and can be realised through
physical computers. Thus there has been such an overwhelming
growth in computer applications that the applicational aspects of CS are
more evident to an *outsider* than the theoretical core.

Note that computation existed long before computers. Neither Eratosthenes
or Galois knew anything about digital computers but they certainly
did know about computation.  Therefore the development of computers,
though extremely beneficial, is only incidental to a theoretician.

>There is, however, Computer Engineering. (and Software Engineering,
>and Systems Engineering etc.).  Science is the discovery of the new.
>Engineering takes what the scientists have found, and finds ways
>to do useful things with it.  The two are like Yin and Yang, closely
>interrelated, but not the same, and each dependant on the other.
>
>I am a computer engineer.

>Randy Martens
>"Reality - What a Concept !" - R.Williams

					Ramesh
ARPA:  ramesh@cvl.umd.edu | If I had had more time, I could
SPRINT:(301) 927 6831     | have written you a shorter letter.
UUCP:  ramesh@cvl.uucp    | 	       -Blaise Pascal

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (09/17/87)

Not a science yet, but as Mike Shafto pointed out. Denning will have
column in American Scientist on this (I am reviewing) Nov. maybe.  I will have
two papers on this in ACM Software Engineering Notes (positive
suggestions for improvements), and I also suggest reading the paper
by Knuth in 1985 Amer. Math. Monthly on the differences between
Mathematical and Algorithmic thinking (Computation != math),
and oh yes, Simon's "Sciences of the Artificial" especially the
chapter on Empiricism (and his Turing award lecture).

Summary and concesses?  It aspires, it's different from other sciences,
it can be improved.  Need we say more?

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

litow@uwm-cs.UUCP (Dr. B. Litow) (09/17/87)

In article <2474@cvl.umd.edu>, ramesh@cvl.umd.edu (Ramesh Sitaraman) writes:
> In article <737@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) writes:
> >I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
> >computer science.
>
> Unfortunately you are totally wrong!!!  The scientific part of CS
> deals with unravelling the nature of computation. This is the
> object of study of theoretical areas such as Complexity theory,
> recursive function theory, programming language semantics etc.
> Computation is an abstract process but unlike other abstract
> formalisms is immediately applicable and can be realised through
> physical computers. Thus there has been such an overwhelming
> growth in computer applications that the applicational aspects of CS are
> more evident to an *outsider* than the theoretical core.

I agree with this poster. I fact I would go on to say that the design of
programming languages,systems and such things as network protocols,etc.
are also just applications. I earlier posted my belief that CS is an entirely
new branch of mathematics so that in a way
CS is indeed not a science in the sense that physics is a science. However,
there are profound issues at the border of CS and physics,for example which
I take as a sound indication of the depth of CS. The confounding of CS with
its applications can only impede progress especially in the matter of new
applications.

The failure to consider 'TCS' as real CS is becoming a serious matter and
I think that the current accreditation issue for CS in colleges must be
resolved in a manner that places sufficient emphasis on computation theory.
I close with an example. The emergence of NC and related parallel computing
models out of alternating Turing machine studies of the late 70's is
a clear indication of the power of good theory.

spf@clyde.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <2474@cvl.umd.edu> ramesh@cvl.UUCP (Ramesh Sitaraman) writes:
>In article <737@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) writes:
>>I am of the firm opinion that there is NO such thing as
>>computer science.
>Unfortunately you are totally wrong!!!  The scientific part of CS
>deals with unravelling the nature of computation. This is the
>object of study of theoretical areas such as Complexity theory,
>recursive function theory, programming language semantics etc.

Fair enough.  But I think if you examine these (and others, such
as automata and graph theories), you'll find that they really
are specialties of mathematics.  And (in my view of the universe),
mathematics is either (a) language, or (b) philosophy, or (c) both.
But not science.  My requirement is stricter than most dictionaries
will give you (but dictionaries follow contemporary usage, so that's
not surprising).  I require that science study nature (I actually
prefer the term "natural philosophy").  And I don't subscribe to
the Platonic view that things like numbers and trig functions are
part of nature.  I think they are linguistic inventions.  Most
real sciences USE mathematics to describe their observations and
hypotheses.

Steve Frysinger
**
"The nice thing about philosophy is that everybody can be right."

shafto@aurora.UUCP (Michael Shafto) (09/21/87)

Alfred North Whitehead called mathematics the "science of
abstract forms."  If that's too Platonic, then call it
"the science of abstract descriptions."  I think if you
adopt the position that Real Science is about Nature, and
that mathematics is not Real Science, then you'll eventually
end up (with no further help from me) saying either
(a) mathematicians don't make discoveries, or (b) they
make discoveries about the properties of formal systems
or systems of abstract descriptions, and that THESE are
not part of Nature.  If you follow (a), then you confine
yourself to a limited group of discussants who share your
idiosyncratic notion of 'discovery'; if you follow (b), then
you put the content of mathematics somewhere outside Nature.
Exactly where, I don't know.

Someone (perhaps Lakatos or Feyerabend) said that scientists
know about as much about science as fish know about
hydrology.  This is well illustrated whenever scientists
quit DOING science and start talking about it.

Mike Shafto

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (09/22/87)

Oh yeah, one more reference thought on the way to lunch:

W. Daniel Hillis The Connection Machine, MIT Press, 1986,
Last Chapter entitled something like "Why Computer Science is No Good"
Says CS lacks scale, symmetry, and locality of effect.

--eugene

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (09/22/87)

In article <1073@aurora.UUCP>, shafto@aurora.UUCP (Michael Shafto) writes:
> ....  I think if you
> adopt the position that Real Science is about Nature, and
> that mathematics is not Real Science, then ....  either
> (a) mathematicians don't make discoveries, or (b) they
> make discoveries about the properties of formal systems
> or systems of abstract descriptions, and that THESE are
> not part of Nature.  If you follow (a), then you confine
> yourself to a limited group of discussants who share your
> idiosyncratic notion of 'discovery'; if you follow (b), then
> you put the content of mathematics somewhere outside Nature.

But formal systems are a product of the human mind, and the human mind
(as a feature of _Homo_sapiens_) is a part of Nature.  Science,
mathematics, literature, and other intellectual activities are things
humans do because of our innate capacities and social norms.

> Someone (perhaps Lakatos or Feyerabend) said that scientists
> know about as much about science as fish know about
> hydrology.  This is well illustrated whenever scientists
> quit DOING science and start talking about it.

There are scientific disciplines (mostly less formally developed than
other disciplines like physics) that deal with the study of human
activities.  One example is anthropology.  I think the question "Is
computer science a science?" belongs to one of those disciplines.

Our problem when we work with computers is less abstruse.  All we have
to know is whether we can succesfully communicate if we use the term
'Computer Science'.  Obviously we can.  Nobody complained that the
title question ("Is Computer Science Science") is ambiguous.  We all
understand that the word "science" in the phrase "computer science"
is not the same as the word "science" standing alone.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

jsnyder@uw-june.UUCP (Hei Yu) (09/23/87)

In article <2835@ames.arpa> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:

>W. Daniel Hillis The Connection Machine, MIT Press, 1986,
>Last Chapter entitled something like "Why Computer Science is No Good"
>Says CS lacks scale, symmetry, and locality of effect.

As I recall, Ehud Shapiro's dissertation "Automatic Debugging" (MIT Press)
included some similar kind of grousing about CS having a "flat" structure
with lots of incomparable elements.

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu.arpa         John R. Snyder
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!jsnyder     Dept. of Computer Science, FR-35
                                            University of Washington
206/543-7798                                Seattle, WA 98195

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (09/24/87)

In article <1318@houdi.UUCP> marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
>In article <1073@aurora.UUCP>, shafto@aurora.UUCP (Michael Shafto) writes:
>
>> Someone (perhaps Lakatos or Feyerabend) said that scientists
>> know about as much about science as fish know about
>> hydrology.  This is well illustrated whenever scientists
>> quit DOING science and start talking about it.
>
>Our problem when we work with computers is less abstruse.  All we have
>to know is whether we can succesfully communicate if we use the term
>'Computer Science'.  Obviously we can.  Nobody complained that the
>title question ("Is Computer Science Science") is ambiguous.  We all
>understand that the word "science" in the phrase "computer science"
>is not the same as the word "science" standing alone.

I've only caught the tail-end of this discussion, but I'd like to
insert a few comments of my own here.  This discussion about whether
or not Computer Science is *Science* or *Real*Science* reminds quite a
bit of a local (and not so local) phenomena in politics here in
Madison.  A lot of liberals (hey, I like them better than
conservatives, generally) go around toting themselves as
*Politically*Correct*, and label those who do agree with their views
as not begin *Politically*Correct*.  It seems to me that this is where
this kind of discussion leads.  Someone will go up to a Comp. Sci.
person and say I'm a *Real*Scientist*, but your not!"

My comment is "why bother?"  Why put labels on another person like
that?  I like to think that research which I will do in the future
will be in the realms of science and scientific inquiry, and that my
friends and other C.S. people are also doing useful scientific work.
Granted, what I am doing now is not really scientific 'cause I'm just
programming for a living (to get through school), but you can find
that kind of work in any of the traditional *Sciences*.

A final note:  I heartily agree with the two comments I've included
above.  As long as the label "Computer Science" works and serves its
purpose, why not leave it alone.  It would seem that time spent
bickering about this sort of thing was much better spent doing
research, or programmning, or whatever.  I would suspect that the
people *really* doing scientific research (whatever that means) don't
care what you call them, but would rather work at the answers they are
trying to find to the unanswered questions around them.

Disclaimer: my thoughts are my own and noone else's, except maybe my
Cockatiels'.

				-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (09/24/87)

Status Quo? Hopefully a short note:
The reason why you have to make some clear distinctions care partially
be read in the latest CPSR [Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility] Newsletter.  It appears in the halls of places like
Ames, JPL, DOE Labs, the NAS (Natl. Acad. Sci), NSF, etc.  Basically if
you are not a science, you don't get funding from those Science
Agencies.

This is a difference in Geography (seen as an art) and Geology.
I studied remote sensing for several years.  The fact that it was in a
geography --->cartography -->graph --> "art" department was a big
minus.  RS is pretty respectable in some circles, and like AI, disreputable
in other circles.  (arrows for Mike Shafto ;-)

The level of funding CS in non-military work is dropping.  This is okay
if you don't mind working on ALVs, Pilots Associates, etc.  I believe
AI should be funded, but for it's improvement, not rediscoveries and
rehashes hashes of things done 20 years ago.  You are more than welcome
to do AI-research/CS-research, so long as you have money.

P.S. I mentioned JPL because I took one noted scientist to a CS lab
(graphics) and he came away saying, "Nice pictures, but what's the use?"

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

lindsay@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Lindsay Groves) (09/30/87)

In article <5068@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> ed298-ak@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache) writes:

>.... Does Computer Science have any laws?
>>>
>>"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
>
>	Hey those aren't laws from Computer Science, they are from the
>	Science (Religion?) of Murphyology.!
>
>								E.L.

The August issue of the Communications of the ACM contains an article by
C.A.R.Hoare and eight others, entitled "Laws of Programming".  One of their
laws (4) is:
		ABORT U P = ABORT
where ABORT (which they denote by an upside down T) is a statement that can
do anything ("It places no constraint on the executing machine, which may do
anything, or fail to do anything; in particular, it may fail to terminate"),
and U is nondeterministic choice.

The text explaining this law says:
  "This law is sometimes known as Murphy's Law, which state, "If it can go
  wrong it will"; the left-hand side describes a machine that CAN go wrong
  (or can behave like P), whereas the right-hand side might be taken to
  describe a machine that WILL go wrong.  But the true meaning of the law
  is actually worse than this: The program ABORT will not always go wrong --
  only when it ismost disastrous for it to do so!  THe abundance of empirical
  evidence for law (4) suggests that it should be taken as the first law of
  computer programming."

It seems that being part of "Murphyology" doesn't preclude something from
being a law of Computer Science -- this one is given a very precise
statement and interpretation as a law of programming, which must also count
as a law of Computer Science.  Given that Computer Science draws heavily on
such fields as mathematics, logic, linguistics (Chomsky's hierarchy has far
more relevance to Computer Science than it does to lingusitics!), electrical
engineering etc., it is not surprising that laws in Computer Science should
bear similarity to laws in other areas.

	Lindsay Groves
	Logic programmers' theme song: "The first cut is the deepest"

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (09/30/87)

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (National Office)
646 Emerson St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301

ross@ulowell.UUCP (10/01/87)

Oh, that's easy.

Stay Alert.
Trust no one.
Keep your demo ready.

							Ross

--
csnet: ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu
uucp:  ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu || ...harvard!ulowell!ross

Trust the computer.	The computer is your friend.

del@homxc.UUCP (D.LEASURE) (10/01/87)

In article <7397@ism780c.UUCP>, jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) writes:

> can you, or anyone, post the address of this
> newletter? [CPSR]

CPSR, Inc. PO Box 717, Palo Alto CA 94301 415/322-3778
$30/yr $10/yr for student
--
David E. Leasure - AT&T Bell Laboratories - (201) 615-5307

rd@umich.UUCP (Rajiv S. Desai) (10/07/87)

in this context I am reminded of a witty clip I saw
a few years ago:

Two scientist/philosophers were contemplating the advent of
computersi, when one posed the rhetoric to the other,
"Is Computer Science ?". And so a new science, called
computer science was born !

			- rajiv desai

Rajiv Desai

Internet:	rd@eecs.umich.edu
UUCP:		{umix,ihnp4,mit-eddie}!umich!eecs.umich.edu!rd