[comp.ai] The Job Hunt

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (10/16/87)

> > > Mr X. goes to an employment interview and gets angry or flustered and
> > > says something that causes him to be rejected.  Without knowing how his
> > > mind works you can conclude it was flawed.
> >
> > And you could be wrong.  Most likely Mr. X. didn't want the job after
> > all.  He only wanted you to think he wanted the job.  Give him credit
> > for some intelligence!
>
> Also flawed from Mr. X's point of view.  Sicherman argues that X only
> seemed to get angry or flustered, in order to make sure the company
> didn't make him an offer, because during the interview he decided he
> didn't want a job with them.  If I attributed Mr. X's actions to
> intelligence I would expect him to conclude gracefully, let them make
> an offer, and reject the offer, without making a bad impression on
> somebody who later might be in a position to offer him a job in another
> company.  And I don't care whether you blame emotions or habits.

You misunderstood me.  I suggested not that X *seemed* to get angry, but
that he genuinely got angry.  Emotions are not some kind of side effect--
they serve a constructive purpose.  Anger, in particular, drives away
or destroys things that threaten your well-being.

Most likely Mr. X wants to avoid getting a job, but wants people in
general or certain people in particular to think he wants a job.  It
happens all the time!  You're wasting your time when you pontificate
to Mr. X.  He's not going to tell a back-seat driver like you what he
really wants.

> > By this criterion, we are all flawed.

> That's exactly what I meant.

Well, it's a useless and insulting criterion.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...!ihnp4!odyssey!gls

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/16/87)

In article <333@odyssey.ATT.COM>, gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:

> You misunderstood me.  I suggested not that X *seemed* to get angry, but
> that he genuinely got angry.  Emotions are not some kind of side effect--
> they serve a constructive purpose.  Anger, in particular, drives away
> or destroys things that threaten your well-being.
>
> Most likely Mr. X wants to avoid getting a job, but wants people in
> general or certain people in particular to think he wants a job.  It
> happens all the time!  You're wasting your time when you pontificate
> to Mr. X.  He's not going to tell a back-seat driver like you what he
> really wants.

Do we need a definition of anger?  Anger, as I understand it, is  an
emotion  that catalyzes physical actions but interferes with reason.
I agree that Mr. X may rationalize his action, but I  don't  believe
it was his best choice.

> > > By this criterion, we are all flawed.
>
> > That's exactly what I meant.
>
> Well, it's a useless and insulting criterion.

Pardon me.  I thought what we all needed was a little humility.   If
Col.  G. L. Sicherman thinks either that he is perfect, or that I am
perfect, I disagree.  Tentatively.

In my simplistic view, the mind is a complex system that came to  be
what  it  is  through  variation  and  natural  selection.   It  has
functions that we don't  understand,  adaptations  for  purposes  we
don't understand, and adaptations for purposes that no longer exist.
If it's perfect, that's a marvelous coincidence.

If the aim of artificial intelligence is to model  the  human  mind,
Col.  Sicherman  and I seem to agree that it's not enough.  To model
anger, for instance, we also need artificial emotion.   But  if  the
aim  of  artificial  intelligence  is to create a purely intelligent
entity without maladaptive emotions,  Col.  Sicherman  and  I  would
disagree.   I  believe  that  at  least some emotional responses are
maladaptive and would not exist in a perfect intelligence, while  he
apparently believes the human mind is perfect and cannot be improved
upon.

So let us agree to disagree, and,  as  I  suggested  in  an  earlier
article,  let some AI researchers model the human mind, while others
build something better adapted to specific tasks.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (10/20/87)

> Do we need a definition of anger?  Anger, as I understand it, is  an
> emotion  that catalyzes physical actions but interferes with reason.
> I agree that Mr. X may rationalize his action, but I  don't  believe
> it was his best choice. ...
>
>        ...  I thought what we all needed was a little humility.   If
> Col. G. L. Sicherman thinks either that he is perfect, or that I am
> perfect, I disagree.  Tentatively.

If you go telling people what you think they all need, we may decide
that you're not very humble!

Arguing over whether people are "perfect" or "flawed" is like arguing
whether Eugene the Jeep is a rodent or a marsupial.  Perfect for *what?*

And I agree that we need a definition of anger.  "Catalyzes physical
actions?"  The anger *produces* the actions.  If you had no emotions,
you would never act.

>        ...  I  believe  that  at  least some emotional responses are
> maladaptive and would not exist in a perfect intelligence, while  he
> apparently believes the human mind is perfect and cannot be improved
> upon.

Again, perfect for what?  It sounds as if you regard emotions as a
part of intelligence.  We don't agree on the basics yet.

	"This rock, for instance, has an I.Q. of zero.  Ouch!"
	"What's the matter, Professor?"
	"It bit me!"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman