[comp.ai] Is the human mind flawed?

scott@swatsun (Jay Scott) (10/11/87)

Here's how I think about it:

"Flawed" I take to mean "not-good in some particular respect."  And "good"
does not have a fixed, absolute meaning.  If you ask, "Is this rock good?"
I have to reply, "What for?"  It may be good used as a piece of gravel but
bad used as a gemstone!

So in the same way, you may ask "Is the human mind flawed?"  I answer
"Depends.  Is there something you wanted to use one for?"  If you think
minds just are, then "flawed" doesn't apply (neither does "perfect").
But if you want to use a mind to, say, do math, you're likely to be annoyed
at its tendency to make mistakes--a flaw, for your purposes.

--
Your opinion may vary.  I can only define words as I use them, not as you may.

				Jay Scott
			 ...bpa!swatsun!scott

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/12/87)

In article <17489@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, krulwich@gator..arpa (Bruce Krulwich) writes:
> In article <1368@houdi.UUCP> marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> >Factually, we know the mind is flawed because we observe that it does
> >not do what we expect of it.
>
> If I expect my car to take me to the moon and it doesn't, is it
> flawed??  No, rather my expectation of it is wrong.  Similarly, we
> shouldn't say that the mind is flawed until we're sure that our
> definition of "intelligence" is perfect.

There's a subtlety here.  Your car is obviously not designed to go to
the moon; it won't come near trying.  But I suggested that your car
should take you "from Pittsburgh to Atlanta" without bursting into
flame.  That's not an unreasonable expectation, because, though it
probably wasn't designed for those particular roads, cars like it
usually do it successfully.  Similarly, if I usually go through
interviews without "bursting into flame," I expect to be able to do it
regularly, and if once I screw up, I have to conclude that there is a
flaw somewhere.

> > As a hypothesis, we can test the idea
> >that it is flawed because of the action of what we call emotions.
>
> Why do you assume that emotions are a flaw??  Just maybe emotions are
> at the core of intellegence, and logic is just a side issue.

Note, please.  I did not "assume that emotions are a flaw."  First, I
argued that there was a flaw, and though that argument was challenged,
my reliance on that argument is obviously "why" I went on to the next
step.  Second, I obviously did not "assume" anything about emotions; I
offered a hypothesis about emotions.  "Why" I offered that hypothesis
is that it was suggested by an article I quoted:

== > Is the mind flawed just because humans make decisions based on
== > their emotional involvement? ....

> If you think that emotions motivate all human activity, why do you
> dismiss emotions as a flaw in the mind??  It seems to me that human
> activity is a lot more "intelligent" than any AI system as of yet.

Clearly I did not dismiss anything.  Quoting again from my article:

== > 	Let's not hastily dismiss the human mind as flawed.
==
== Who's dismissing it?  I know my car is flawed, but I can't afford to
== dismiss it.  I'm not dismissing my mind either.  How could I?  :-)

Without trying to embarrass anybody, I would like to ask whether Mr.
Krulwich thought he was answering logically, and, if so, whether his
expectation that he could do so was any more reasonable than the
hypothetical expectation that his car could take him to the moon.  I
think we try to do things with our minds that they can not successfully
do.  Even if the flaw is in the expectation, the expectation is created
by the mind, so to argue that the flaw is not in the mind requires
great subtlety.  (I am sure many readers will find my argument flawed.)

I might suggest that Mr. Krulwich answered more emotionally than
logically, but that statement would not only introduce "emotion" as an
undefined term, but also invite us to "dismiss" what seem to be some
vital mental processes.  Just as physicians accept the human body for
what it is, without embarrassment, so should we accept the human mind.
Physically, all human bodies are different, and none are perfect.  Why
then should anyone insist that the mind is unflawed?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) (10/12/87)

If the human mind was flawless we wouldn't be debating this issue.
To determine how flawed the human mind is we need to first define the
characteristics of a flawless or perfect mind.  Any suggestions?

It certainly shouldn't have the limitations of Turing machines, that
is, it should be able to "solve" non-computable functions non-
algorithmically.  Given perfect information as input, its output
should be likewise perfect, right? Or perhaps its output should
always be perfect regardless of how imperfect or incomplete its
inputs are. (Whcih violates the CS law of Garbage In Garbage Out)

       Drawing an analogy with ideal operational amplifiers
in electronics, the perfect mind can be characterized by infinite
memory, zero learning time, zero search and recall time, sensory
perception with infinite bandwidth (flat frequency response from
negative infinity to positive infinity), zero computation time, and
knowledge of future inputs, etc., etc.  (What do we have - God?)

Question: Does such a mind exist or is nothing perfect in the real
world?

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (10/12/87)

If a thing is not perfect, it is flawed            def. flaw
The human mind is a thing                          if it weren't, we wouldn't
                                                   talk about it
Nothing is perfect                                 My mother said this
The human mind is flawed
QED.
--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
SnailMail: ICS Programming Lab, Georgia Tech, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332

ijd@camcon.uucp (Ian Dickinson) (10/23/87)

in article <2809@sdsu.UUCP>, caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) says:

> If the human mind was flawless we wouldn't be debating this issue.
> To determine how flawed the human mind is we need to first define the
> characteristics of a flawless or perfect mind.  Any suggestions?

My mind does exactly what I want it to do.  I like to be emotive, to be
able to intuit, guess,  make mistakes and learn from them, do silly
things to let off steam, laugh at obscure jokes etc.  All of these
abilities could be regarded as flaws in a device which aspired to
mechanistic perfection.  But I like my mind - for me it _is_ perfect
(although maybe not so to another person).

>        Drawing an analogy with ideal operational amplifiers
> in electronics, ....
Hum.  I can't think of a machine that I would like to use as an
analogy here.  One problem is that we know that the individual components
of the brain (perhaps more analogous to an electronic device) have
pretty awful performance characteristics,  but the *mind* as a whole
has characteristics that no machine in existence today can begin to
match.    So, whilst I have no doubt that we can create technology
that does improve on the metrics listed in the posting (indeed I am
actively involved in helping to do so),  I *do* doubt that this will
get us much nearer to a mindful machine.

> Question: Does such a mind exist or is nothing perfect in the real
> world?

Ultimately, reality is all we have.  End of problem.
--
Ian Dickinson    Cambridge Consultants Ltd, AI group     (0223) 358855 [U.K.]
uucp:    ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!camcon!ijd                 or:  ijd%camcon.uucp