[comp.ai] Degenerate Lang Learning Experiment

m0p@k.cc.purdue.edu (S. Kulikowski) (11/12/87)

  since  there has been a lot mail about language learning crystallization and
possible deprivation experiments, i recall reading about one  such  experiment
conducted by the ancient egyptians...  probably the earliest language learning
experiment in history.

  it  seems  that  the  priests were endlessly debating which language was the
root tongue from which all other languages descended.  this  would  presumably
be  the  purest language of the gods and most proper for worship.  to end this
debate, the pharoh ordered that a pair of twins be taken at birth  and  raised
in  a  temple  by  priests  under a vow of silence.  they were never to hear a
single word of contemporary languages, so whatever speech they developed would
be the purest language.

  eventually  the twins began to speak to each other.  from what we know today
of  twin  idiolects  this  seems  quit   probable.    apparently   the   first
recognizeable  word  they  developed  was  'phekros'  which was phoenician for
'bread'.  from this the egyptians concluded that phoenician was closest to the
root language of the gods.

  i wish i could give you a reference to this experiment.  perhaps some of the
folks  in  NLKR  can  do it.  it has been quite a few years since i have found
child language to be  profitable,  so  i  cannot  even  recall  the  secondary
reference  i  read  this in.  i would love to track down the primary reference
from antiquity.  this seems like a pretty  sophisticated  experimental  design
for a culture as old as the pharonic dynasties.
                                               stan

     BITNET :  XM0P @ PURCCVM     (* note, zero, not Oh *)
  SnailMail :  Special Education; Purdue University; W. Lafayette, IN 47907
     USENET :  k.cc.purdue.edu!m0p

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (11/16/87)

In article <2273@k.cc.purdue.edu> m0p@k.cc.purdue.edu (S. Kulikowski) writes:

> ...[description of ancient Egyptian experiment to determine first language]...
>  i wish i could give you a reference to this experiment....
> ...  i would love to track down the primary reference
>from antiquity.  this seems like a pretty  sophisticated  experimental  design
>for a culture as old as the pharonic dynasties.
>                                               stan

The primary reference is Herodotus.  A good secondary source is Fromkin
and Rodman's An Introduction to Language.  Actually, many introductory
linguistics texts cite this as an amusing anecdote to historical
misconceptions about language.  If such an experiment ever took place,
it is also a comment on the brutality of ancient cultures.

poser@russell.UUCP (11/20/87)

In the Egyptian experiment reported by Herodotus, the word reportedly
uttered by the children raised without linguistic input was "bekos",
which the Egyptians determined to be the Phrygian word for "bread".
It is in fact true that this was the Phrygian word for "bread".

murrayw@utai.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <725@russell.STANFORD.EDU> poser@russell.UUCP (Bill Poser) writes:
>In the Egyptian experiment reported by Herodotus, the word reportedly
>uttered by the children raised without linguistic input was "bekos",
>which the Egyptians determined to be the Phrygian word for "bread".
>It is in fact true that this was the Phrygian word for "bread".
Well....
James IV attempted the same experiment and the children "spak very guid Ebrew".
In the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II's experiment the children died.
The three experiments are mentioned in "An Introduction to Language" by
Victoria Fromkin and Robert Rodman.

    1) These experiments show that if people don't learn a language
       they may emit random sounds. If you listen long enough you hear
       one of Shakespeare's plays.

    2) They show how not to carry out a cognitive science experiment.

    Maybe Frederick's children died because they didn't know how to say
    "bread" in either Phrygian or Ebrew.