[comp.ai] online dictionary needed

rolandi@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM (rolandi) (12/26/87)

***************************  WANTED  *******************************

I am trying to locate an online dictionary or any large collection
of English words in electromic form that includes a pronunciation
key.  Not to be picky, but the pronunciation key would ideally
employ regular ascii characters to represent the word's phonetic
qualities.  Does a "shareware" version of such a resource exist?

Thanks in advance...

w.rolandi
u.s.carolina dept. of psychology and linguistics
ncr advanced development

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (12/27/87)

     The entire American Heritage Dictionary, definitions and pronunciation
as well as the words themselves, is available, along with various other
reference works, in CD-ROM format from Microsoft.  See your local Microsoft
dealer for details.

					John Nagle

rshu@zodiac.ads.com (Richard Shu) (12/30/87)

In article <17262@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     The entire American Heritage Dictionary ... is available, along with various other
>reference works, in CD-ROM format from Microsoft.

How about foreign language dictionaries?  Anybody know if these are available
anywhere?

Following lines to satisfy the fascist postnews line-counter
(I hate line-counters and bean-counters)

EAT ME!
EAT ME!
EAT ME!
EAT ME!