[comp.ai] cognitive science programs - summary of responses

tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) (01/05/88)

This is a summary of responses to a question posed in comp.ai a few weeks ago,
about (university) programs in cognitive science.  The original question in-
cluded the following (slightly fixed) information (and some misinformation?):

MIT: Department of Brain and Cognitive Science

Brown: Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science, 12 Faculty
Fields of study: Linguistics, Vision, Reasoning, Neural Models, Animal Cognition

UCSD: interdisciplinary PhD in Cognitive Science exists
a Dept of Cognitive Science is in the works
undergraduate program in Cog Sci currently offered by psychology
emphases in Connectionism, Psychology, AI, Linguisitics, Neuroscience,
            Philosophy, Social Cognition

Stanford: Graduate Program in Cognitive Science
Psychology (organizing dept), Linguistics, Computer Science, Philosophy

Rochester: interdisciplinary PhD in Cognitive Science

UC Berkley: Cognitive Science Program, focus on linguistics

Princeton: interdisciplinary program in Cognitive Science

Toronto: Undergraduate Major in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence

Michigan: no current program in Cognitive Science, but some opportunities

University of Western Ontario: Center for Cognitive Science

Edinburgh: department of Cognitive Science (formerly School of Epistemics)
focus on linguistics

Sussex: School of Cognitive Science

From: "Donald A. Norman" <norman%ics@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu> at UCSD

-----
From: Jeff Elman <elman@amos.ling.ucsd.edu> at UCSD (taken from comp.ai)

-----
From: Tom Olson <olson@cs.rochester.edu> at Rochester

-----
From: Michael McInerny <mcinerny@cs.rochester.edu> at Rochester

-----
From: William J. Rapaport <rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu> at SUNY

>State University of New York at Buffalo has several active cognitive science
>programs.  What follows is a slightly outdated on-line information sheet on
>two of them.
   [contact the author (or myself) for the full text.  The description reads
   in part: "(the group's) activities have focused upon language-related
   issues and knowledge representation... "]

-----
From: Marie Bienkowski <bienk@spam.istc.sri.com>

-----
From: Rodney Hoffman <Hoffman.es@xerox.com>

-----
From: "Saul P. Traiger" <oxy!traiger@csvax.caltech.edu> at Occidental College

-----
From: Roy Eagleson <deepthot.UWO.CDN!elroy@julian.uucp> at Western Ontario

-----
From: John Laird <laird@caen.engin.umich.edu> at Michigan

>There is no formal undergraduate or graduate program in Cognitive Science
>at this time.  We will be offering an undergraduate course in Cognitive Science
>next term, co-taught by AI, Psych., Ling., and Philosophy.  We also have the
>Cognitive Science and Machine Intelligence Lab.   It is supported by three
>colleges: Engineering; Business; and Literature, Sciences and the Arts.
>The Lab sponsers a variety of Cognitive Science activities: talks, workshops,
>research groups, etc.  I expect that in a few years we will have undergraduate
>and graduate programs in Cognitive Science, but for now, students must be in
>a specific department and take cross-listed courses.
-----

From Professor Tom Perry, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver

>The Cognitive Science Program does not yet have a graduate program, but one is
>planned for the near future.  At present, qualified students can do advanced
>degrees under Special Arrangements.
[...]
>   Cognitive Science Program
>   Department of Philosophy
>   Simon Fraser University
>   Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6

[Special arrangements means: "Exceptionally able applications, who wish to work
for a Master's or Doctoral degree outside or between existing programs at Simon
Fraser University, may apply to work under Special Arrangements.  (the student)
must have a well-developed plan of studies in an area which can be shown to
have internal coherence and academic merit, and which the University has appro-
priate expertise and interests among its faculty members ..."]

-----
From Donald H. Mitchell of Bendix Aero. Tech. Ctr <DON@atc.bendix.com>

>In 1985, the president of Northwestern University set aside a decent pot of
>money and charged the Cognitive Psychology program to find a chairman for an
>interdisciplinary Cognitive Science program.  They aggressively set out and
>brought dozens of big names in for show-and-tell.  They made offers to
>several; however, as far as I know, they never caught one.  Maybe they have
>one now?  I do not know.
>Northwestern has a small but high-quality group of Cognitive Psychologists
>[...] The work is primarily on human cognition: verbal information processing
>... human decision making... human expertise in game-playing, ... heuristic
>search, and machine learning (genetic algorithms).

Timothy J Horton (416) 979-3109   tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)
Dept of Computer Science          tjhorton@ai.toronto     (other Bitnet)
University of Toronto,            tjhorton@ai.toronto.cdn (EAN X.400)
Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4           {seismo,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!tjhorton