[comp.ai] words order in English and Japanese

nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) (01/15/88)

I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
comments are welcome.

In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
come at the end of sentences.  In general, in English, head features
(dominant information) come first while in Japanese they come later.
Another example is negation marker.  In English it comes very early
while in Japanese it comes at the end.  You cannot tell if the sentence
is positive or negative until you hear the very last, in Japanese.

Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
job while farming is not.

I combined those two observations: In real-time communication,
possibility of misunderstanding is fatal.  If you say "DON'T touch
it", there is no possibility that the hearer try to touch something.
But if the order were "it touch NOT" which is the case in Japanese,
the hearer may touch it when he hears upto "it touch".

To avoid this kind of real-time misunderstanding, English must
transfer essential information first, refining it later.

In farming, on the other hand, there are lots of time.  Planning and
cooperation among people is more important than real-time-ness.  That
will allow development of language which fits to express very delicate
things, like person's mood.  (I think this is why Japanese has very
complicated honorific system.)  So, in Japanese, you can specify lots
of objects first and then combine them together at the end with
several modifications added further.

I don't think this explains all the difference of language features,
but at least I find it interesting.  Any comments?

--
Hideyuki Nakashima
CSLI and ETL

wlp@calmasd.GE.COM (Walter Peterson) (01/16/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
> I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
> between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
> comments are welcome.
>
> In English, verbs come very early in the sentence...

Not only does Japanese ( and Korean, which is *VERY* close to Japanese
grammatically and which I know far better than I do Japanese ) "delay" the
verb until the end of the sentence, but it is also *Post-positional* rather
than *prepositional* as English is. One would say "store to going am I"
rather than "I am going to the store".

> Another example is negation marker.  In English it comes very early
> while in Japanese it comes at the end.  You cannot tell if the sentence
> is positive or negative until you hear the very last, in Japanese.

That is true; however, nothing prevents the Japanese speaker from saying the
equivalent of "No !  Don't touch it !" ( No !, it touch not ! ), to use your
example.

> Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
> hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
> job while farming is not.

There are several problems with this line of reasoning:
1) Latin is every bit as postpositional as Japanese.
2) English has borrowed a good deal of Latin vocabulary, but *VERY* little
   Latin grammar.
3) English developed in the basically agrarian culture of medieval England
   *NOT* in a hunting society ( in fact, after 1066, it was illegal for the
   *English* people to hunt most game.  That "right" belonged to the
   Norman conquerers. )

> ...                                                            ...That
> will allow development of language which fits to express very delicate
> things, like person's mood.  (I think this is why Japanese has very
> complicated honorific system.)  So, in Japanese, you can specify lots
> of objects first and then combine them together at the end with
> several modifications added further.

There may be a different cultural explanation.  We English speakers,
Americans in particular, are often considered to be direct (blunt) to the
point of being rude. This is especially true in the Far East, where such
directness is considered *VERY* rude.  The postpositional and terminal verb
nature of many Asian languages may be the linguistic expression of this
cultural trait. The exact meaning of the sentence is delayed as long as
possible to avoid offending anyone.

There is a serious flaw in any arguments like this.  They all assume that
the culture comes first and that the culture directs the development of the
language.  I don't know that that is actually the case.  The language may
define the culture or there may be such a complex feedback between language
and culture that it is not possible to tell which has the stronger effect
on the other.

--
Walt Peterson   GE-Calma San Diego R&D
"The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those

inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection) (01/16/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:

> Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
> hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
> job while farming is not.

  Yes, about 1000 years ago, there were a good number of hunters in Europe.
  English has it's roots in Latin and the Teutonic and Celtic languages,
  not to mention a smattering of other languages. The word order is Europe-
  an. The Romans, responsible for "civilizing" most of the Western World,
  were, by that time, well removed from the hunter-gatherers their ancient
  ancestors were. Most Europeans have been engaged in farming, crafts and
  commerce over several centuries now. All people were "basically" hunters
  during ancient times.

> I combined those two observations: In real-time communication,
> possibility of misunderstanding is fatal.  If you say "DON'T touch
> it", there is no possibility that the hearer try to touch something.
> But if the order were "it touch NOT" which is the case in Japanese,
> the hearer may touch it when he hears upto "it touch".

  It sounds good, but if a child were to go too close to a fire or other
  danger, the mother of that child would not spend a lot of time saying
  "it touch not" or "do not touch that", she would scream or use a word
  equivalent to the English "NO!". Real-time communication is not verbose,
  it is done with as few words as possible in times of danger.

> In farming, on the other hand, there are lots of time.  Planning and
> cooperation among people is more important than real-time-ness.  That
> will allow development of language which fits to express very delicate
> things, like person's mood.  (I think this is why Japanese has very
> complicated honorific system.)

  English-speaking people and even people who speak French and Greek and
  other languages frequently express very delicate things, as well. But,
  to respond to your theory, a group hunt would require knowing how all
  members of the hunting party were feeling. An overly aggressive hunter
  could endanger the entire party, and an excessively timid one might not
  be of any help at all. A hunter who is mourning, or happy, or distracted
  is going to have an effect on the success of the hunt. An individual
  hunter needs no words at all.

> I don't think this explains all the difference of language features,
> but at least I find it interesting.  Any comments?

  Your theory could have some relevance, but you would make a better
  argument for it if you were to compare the word orders of present
  African hunter-gatherer languages to Japanese. There you would have
  two modern languages to compare with each other, one a genuine non-
  hunter language (Japanese) and one genuine hunter language. If your
  theory has any validity, the African hunter language should have the
  same word order as English. This would not, of course, be proof, but
  it would be better research.

     - Jennifer

d85-kai@nada.kth.se (Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro) (01/17/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU> nakashim@russell.stanford.edu (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
>I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
>between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
>comments are welcome.
>
>In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
>declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
>come at the end of sentences.>

Verbs usually come at the end of sentences in German as well and I'm
not convinced that the Germans are more of a farming people than the
English. (In fact, English *is* a Germanic language.)

		/Kai-Mikael

(...uunet!mcvax!enea!ttds!draken!d85-kai)

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (01/17/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:

> Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
> hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
> job while farming is not.

There are ploughed fields in England which have been under the plough for
3,000 years.  In the rest of Europe, agriculture is even older.  If we
are to talk about English specifically, word order in Anglo-Saxon (sixth
century on) wasn't all that different from Modern English, and that was
an agricultural society.

Besides, what about the women?  Even when hunting was a major economic
activity in Europe, the women weren't out hunting.  Their pursuits were
no more "real-time" than farming, and the transmission of language was
under their control.  Don't forget half the human race!  And what about
fishing?  And what about bragging afterwards?  When hunting, one says
very little (you don't want the game to hear!).

> I combined those two observations: In real-time communication,
> possibility of misunderstanding is fatal.  If you say "DON'T touch
> it", there is no possibility that the hearer try to touch something.
> But if the order were "it touch NOT" which is the case in Japanese,
> the hearer may touch it when he hears upto "it touch".

Think not that negatives in English come first always!

It doesn't seem likely that "possibility of misunderstanding is fatal"
to a higher degree in hunting.  Canine and lupine packs typically fail
nine times out of ten, and I don't expect my ancestors did much better.
The anthropologists tell us that in hunter/gather groups hunting supplies
less than half the total amount of food.  Make an incautious move while
you're hunting deer, and you go hungry.  Make the wrong move while
you're trying to shift a farm bull from one paddock to another and
you're dead.

> In farming, on the other hand, there are lots of time.  Planning and
> cooperation among people is more important than real-time-ness.  That
> will allow development of language which fits to express very delicate
> things, like person's mood.  (I think this is why Japanese has very
> complicated honorific system.)

Hmm.  I've just been reading a book about baboons.  Seems that they
have a complex system of vocal signals which can express mood quite
clearly, but practically nothing else.  Forgive the ignorance of a
foreigner, but is it not the case that the Japanese honorifics are
controlled by the status of the speaker, the hearer, and the people
spoken about, rather than by what the speaker happens to feel?  The
point of politeness, after all, is to *conceal* one's feelings, so
that people can co-operate without having to like each other.

> I don't think this explains all the difference of language features,
> but at least I find it interesting.  Any comments?

Frankly, I can't see that it explains *any* differences.
How do you account for the word order differences between English and German?
How do you explain the honorific pronouns in Samoan, absent in Maaori?

A good test case for your idea might be South American languages.
Did the agricultural societies speak differently structured languages
from the others?

nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) (01/18/88)

I've got many (negative :-) responces to my postings.
Thank you.

Now, I know that the issue I raised was too simple minded.
Nevertheless, and respite of lots of exceptions, I still think
it is one of the POSSIBLE explanations.

In article <2617@calmasd.GE.COM> wlp@calmasd.GE.COM (Walter Peterson) writes:

>Not only does Japanese ( and Korean, which is *VERY* close to Japanese
>grammatically and which I know far better than I do Japanese ) "delay" the
>verb until the end of the sentence, but it is also *Post-positional* rather
>than *prepositional* as English is. One would say "store to going am I"
>rather than "I am going to the store".

The above point is closer to what I wanted to point out.

In (one of) Japanese phrase structure grammar(s), there is only one
syntactic rule:  phrase --> prefix + head.  Any important thing comes
in the second position in the binary tree.

In the cases of English or German, I think there are several rules.
Some of them are counter examples to my theory.

I DON'T MIND HOW MANY CONTER EXAMPLES THERE ARE
AS LONG AS POSITIVE EXAMPLES OUTNUMBER HTEM.

In the area of AI, I believe you should first attack the center of the
problems and leave the details or exceptions out.  The problem you are
attacking is too complicated to worry about the boundary conditions.

Words ordering in a syntax is not chosen at random.  There must be
some explanation to it.  If you know a better one, please let me know.

>There is a serious flaw in any arguments like this.  They all assume that
>the culture comes first and that the culture directs the development of the
>language.  I don't know that that is actually the case.  The language may
>define the culture or there may be such a complex feedback between language
>and culture that it is not possible to tell which has the stronger effect
>on the other.

Of course they are bi-directional.  I canNOT imagine that culture had
NO effect on language.

>From: inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection)

>  Your theory could have some relevance, but you would make a better
>  argument for it if you were to compare the word orders of present
>  African hunter-gatherer languages to Japanese. There you would have
>  two modern languages to compare with each other, one a genuine non-
>  hunter language (Japanese) and one genuine hunter language. If your
>  theory has any validity, the African hunter language should have the
>  same word order as English. This would not, of course, be proof, but
>  it would be better research.

I think that this is a good point.
Does anyone has data?

However, I am more interested in the origin of the language, than its
current form.  My view of language is that it is developped by the
need of communication.  What you want to communicate with others is by
no means linear (one dimentional) like an uttered sentence.  You must
linearize it.  What do you do if you do not have predefined syntax?
Pigin is one of the good examples.

--

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (01/18/88)

In article <1729@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
> linearize it.  What do you do if you do not have predefined syntax?
> Pigin is one of the good examples.

There are many pidgins in the world.  I do not know which one(s) he
has in mind.  The only one I know anything at all about is the one
spoken in the Solomon Islands (there is a book called "Pijin belong yumi"
containing a grammar and dictionary which the appropriate embassy should
be able to locate for you if you are interested; the copy I have read
belonged to an uncle and aunt of mine who learned the language as adults).
Roughly speaking, Pijin is straight Malayo-Polynesian grammar with
Solomon Islands phonology and more-or-less English vocabulary.
I understand that the Pidgin spoken in Niugini is similar.

I don't know what Hideyuki Nakashima means by "no predefined syntax".
Pijin certainly has just as much of a syntax as Indonesian or English
*now*.  As for "predefined", the first people to speak Pijin already
spoke *some* language, and everyone tried to keep as much of his/her
own language as possible.

inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection) (01/19/88)

Regarding word order, Japanese compared to English, the premise being
that English-speaking people are "basically" hunters and Japanese are
"basically" farmers, guess what I found out after spending 20 minutes
with my home encyclopedia?
Farming became a part of European and English-speaking Europeans around
the year 2000 BC long before English was even a language. Farming did
not come to Japan until the Yayoi Period around the year 250 BC.
So much for the theory of hunters vs. farmers. A little research would
have been in order and the history of agriculture is fascinating.
Try opening a book and doing some research before proposing arrogant and
specious theories.

colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) (01/19/88)

-
- In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
- declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
- come at the end of sentences.  In general, in English, head features
- (dominant information) come first while in Japanese they come later.
- Another example is negation marker.  In English it comes very early
- while in Japanese it comes at the end.  You cannot tell if the sentence
- is positive or negative until you hear the very last, in Japanese.
-
- Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
- hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
- job while farming is not.
-
- ...
-
- I don't think this explains all the difference of language features,
- but at least I find it interesting.  Any comments?
-
In Latin, the verb comes at the end.
--
Colin Kendall				Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,akgua}!usfvax2!pdn!colin	Mail stop LF-207

asg@pyuxf.UUCP (alan geller) (01/19/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
> I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
> between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
> comments are welcome.
>
> In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
> declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
> come at the end of sentences.  In general, in English, head features
> (dominant information) come first while in Japanese they come later.
> Another example is negation marker.  In English it comes very early
> while in Japanese it comes at the end.  You cannot tell if the sentence
> is positive or negative until you hear the very last, in Japanese.
>
> Now, English (probably I can say Latin) speaking people are basically
> hunters, while Japanese are basically farmers.  Hunting is a real-time
> job while farming is not.

One problem language here would be German.  While technically German follows
English word order (more or less), in many (most?) German sentences a helper
verb (to be, must be, can be, etc.) appears in the first or second position,
while the 'real' or 'action' verb comes at the end of the sentence, conjugated
as a past tense or a gerund.  In English, the action verb is often moved up
to follow the helper verb directly.  I believe that this is true in many
East European langauges, as well.  For that matter, if I can remember my
smattering of Latin correctly (corrections appreciated), even in Latin
the word order can vary, depending on the emphasis desired.

Also, historically, Old English often follows the word order of modern German.
The word order change took place (over a period of a few centuries) roughly
at the same time as the Norman Conquest.  By this time, most Englishmen were
farmers; almost none were subsistence hunters.  In fact, the Angles and Saxons
never were subsistence hunters, nor were any of the other Germanic tribes;
they farmed just like everyone else, although they probably fished more than
most Central European tribes (something they have in common with the Japanese).

Unfortunately, I don't have a good alternate theory to explain the word order
of modern English.  I do have some questions/conjectures which might provide
a starting point, though:

	- Do languages whose grammars were frozen earlier tend to have
		later action verbs than those whose grammars were frozen
		more recently?  Note that English grammar is still changing.

	- Do languages with a greater written history tend to have late
		action verbs, as opposed to those with primarily oral
		traditions?  Again, English didn't have a large body of
		written work until after Chaucer.

	- Is there any correlation between form of government and placement
		of action verbs?  This is pretty far-fetched, but I notice that
		Germany, Japan, and Rome all had 'imperial' forms or government
		(relatively absolute monarchies), while England's monarchy
		never had that level of power.

Alan Geller
Bellcore
...{princeton,rutgers}!pyuxp!pyuxf!asg

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (01/19/88)

The original comment was that Japanese and English word orders are
somehow affected by the type of culture that the speakers have.  The
question of what causes different word orders is very interesting, and
it is covered in great detail in the linguistic literature.  The issue
is not just between English and Japanese, but between global language
types.  Verb-first and verb-medial languages tend to have very different
syntax from verb-last languages such as Japanese.  For example, the
former tend to have prepositions/prefixes and the latter
postpositions/suffixes.  Auxiliary verbs precede the main verb in the
former, but they follow in the latter.  In other words, there is a kind
of "head-first/head-final" dichotomy among the world's languages,
although this is an overly simple way of putting it.

It is easy to show that the hunter/farmer distinction is irrelevant to
the question of word-order typology.  Word order types are distributed
randomly over all types of cultures as far as we can tell.  Furthermore,
Indo-European languages, of which English belongs to the Germanic
branch, appear to have descended from the verb-last type--i.e.
structurally parallel to Japanese.  So the change to verb-medial
structure would have to be connected with a cultural shift from farming
to hunting, according to the hypothesis offered.  Verb-last languages
are so common in the world that it would be very difficult to find a
cultural common denominator to explain their existence.

Finally, this topic really belongs in sci.lang.  It has little to do
with AI.  In fact, there has been much discussion on this topic in that
newsgroup.
--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (01/19/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
	nakashim@russell.stanford.edu (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
>I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
>between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
>comments are welcome.
>
>In English, verbs come very early in the sentence.  Second position in
>declarative and the first position in imperative.  In Japanese, verbs
>come at the end of sentences.
> [goes on to hypothesize that this might be the result of a hunters/farmers
>  difference: (English) hunters need to be understood quickly.]

[Others mention:
	- Farming appeared much earlier in Britain than in Japan
	- Latin has verbs at the end too, French hasn't.
		]

In article <275@draken.nada.kth.se>,
	d85-kai@nada.kth.se (Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro) writes:
>Verbs usually come at the end of sentences in German as well and I'm
>not convinced that the Germans are more of a farming people than the
>English. (In fact, English *is* a Germanic language.)

German (and Dutch) seem to form something like an intermediary form between
English/French and Latin: in top-level sentences verbs come in the second
position, and in lower-level ones they come at the end:

Dutch examples:
Ik *zie* hem  (I *see* him)
Morgen *zal* ik hem zien  (Tomorrow *shall* I him see -- note the inversion,
	necessary to keep the verb at the second place!)
Ik *geloof*, dat ik hem *zie* (I *believe*, that I him *see* -- in the
	second-level sentence, the verb appears at the end.)

This feature makes, that one cannot just call a parser recursively on
sub-sentences, like in English: the first level has other rules than the
rest.

A specialty of Dutch is furthermore, that the form of the verb can depend on
whether the subject comes before or after it:

Jij *loopt* daar (You walk there)
Daar *loop* jij (There walk you -- note the missing "t"!)
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	"Law" is the name given to a collection of rules describing

hasida@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Koiti Hasida) (01/20/88)

In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU> nakashim@russel.stanford.edu write:
>To avoid this kind of real-time misunderstanding, English must
>transfer essential information first, refining it later.
>
>In farming, on the other hand, there are lots of time.
>So, in Japanese, you can specify lots
>of objects first and then combine them together at the end with
>several modifications added further.

A standard comment by linguists (especially syntacticians) would be
that this kind of global word-order variation is largely accounted for
in more syntactic terms. According to Chomskyan parameter-setting
approach, for instance, the word-order variation between head-initial
languages (such as English and French) and head-final languages (such
as Japanese and Korean) is attributed to the value of a single binary
parameter associated with X-bar component of syntax. This parameter is
turned on in one class of languages, and off in the other. The order
between verb and its object, the choice between preposition and
postposition, etc. follow from this single decision.

Whether or not this parameter is innate is irrelevant here.  I would
rather like to reduce this parameter to more fundamental computational
terms, instead of postulating it to be preprogrammed. But such an
account of mine would be as syntactic as is Chomskyan approach.  The
point is that the set of syntactic constraints has some internal
dependence in its own right without recourse to semantics or
pragmatics, and thus a small decision on a piece of syntactic
constraint influences a lot of other part of syntax.  Even if your
pragmatic theory were basically right, it is imperfect; a more
syntactic aspect such as mentioned above should be taken into account
as well. For instance, your theory would fail to explain why English
employs prepositions rather than postpositions despite the fact that
in a prepositional phrase the object noun phrase tend to convey more
information than the preposition does.

A fatal defect of your theory is that you only refer to modern
English. Old English and its antecedent languages exhibit word-order
variations different from that of modern English. Pragmatic
requirement of hunting situation thus seems less relevant to
word-order than you suppose.

HASIDA, Koiti	Electrotechnical Lab.	hasida%etl.jp@relay.cs.net

reddy@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (01/20/88)

/* Written 11:16 am  Jan 17, 1988 by nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU in uiucdcsb:comp.ai */

In the area of AI, I believe you should first attack the center of the
problems and leave the details or exceptions out.  The problem you are
attacking is too complicated to worry about the boundary conditions.

Words ordering in a syntax is not chosen at random.  There must be
some explanation to it.  If you know a better one, please let me know.

/* End of text from uiucdcsb:comp.ai */

In making theories of languages, we have to first remember that
languages EVOLVED.  Evolution is necessarily nondeterministic, and
several choices are possible at each stage.  Once a choice is made by
a line of culture, other things just have to get tagged on.  The prior
choices cannot be retracted.  It may eventually appear that the final
outcome is complex, wrong or unnatural from some perspective, but that
has to be understood in the context of the history of the language.

I am no linguist, but I can certainly imagine the following line of
evolution:

1. Langage V: only verbs.  (Come, go, give, went, ate).

2. Language SV: subject + verb.  (I went.  You hunt.  She ate).

   At this stage there are two choices for word order.  S-V or V-S.
   All the languages I know have S-V.  Anybody know the other one?

3. Language VO: verb + object (Come here.  Ate ham).

   Even for this, there are two choices for word orders.  V-O or O-V.
   Both SV and VO are equally plausible after V.  Different cultures
   may have developed them in different order.  Or, it is also possible
   for a language to have had separate SV and VO components at the
   same time.

3. Language SVO: subject + verb + object  (I kill it.  She ate ham).

   Given the word order of SV and VO there are at most two ways to
   combine them.
	S-V + V-O = S-V-O
	V-S + V-O = V-S-O or V-O-S
	S-V + O-V = S-O-V or O-S-V
	V-S + O-V = O-V-S
   It sounds somewhat ridiculous to put object at the front, but there
   may indeed be languages that do so.

What this shows is that languages could have evolved purely by
ARBITRARY choices at each stage of evolution, without any REASONS for
those choices.  Some choices may indeed have reasons.  For example,
there are strong reasons to favor S-V order over V-S order in the
language SV.  Most languages, in fact, show this.  But, between
the order O-V and V-O, there seems to be no preferred one.  So, we
find wide variation in this.

Uday Reddy

bobcoe@cca.CCA.COM (Robert K. Coe) (01/20/88)

In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
#In article <1671@russell.STANFORD.EDU>,
#	nakashim@russell.stanford.edu (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
#>I came up with a theory to explain the difference in word orders
#>between English and Japanese.  This is a very naive theory.  Any
#>comments are welcome.

I have to wonder what Nakashima would make of the Polynesian languages
(Hawaiian et al), in which the very distinction between nouns and verbs is at
most weak and unconvincing.
--
=>  Robert K. Coe                                *       bobcoe@cca.cca.com  <=
=>  Computer Corporation of America              *                           <=

michael@crlt.UUCP (Michael McClary) (01/20/88)

In article <1729@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
> I've got many (negative :-) responces to my postings.  Thank you. []
>
> Words ordering in a syntax is not chosen at random.  There must be
> some explanation to it.  If you know a better one, please let me know.

Here comes another one.  (Am I delaying enough to be polite?  B-) )

Why must the choice of words ordering in the syntax rule set for a natural
language be non-random?  We see from the currently-used languages that
several orderings work about equally well.  Seems to me the null hypothesis
fits very well.

Any language at all confers a significant advantage over none.  Once a
language is begun, any >change< in something as basic as words ordering
rules increases confusion, reducing the utility of the language until
many people have learned the revised rules.  A change would have to confer
a very strong advantage to be a net gain during the transition, and
alternative words ordering rules do not do so.  Thus a randomly-selected
rule that works will be very strongly conserved.

(We see a a similar phenomenon with our keyboards.  Several layouts give
significant speed and accuracy improvements over QWERTY.  {Indeed, one
rumor claims QWERTY was developed specifically to >slow down< typists,
so early mechanical machines wouldn't jam.}  New machines can handle the
speed and don't jam, but the changeover to one of the improved layouts
would cost so much, in capital and confusion, that it doesn't happen.)

I would expect changes in words ordering to occur only in situations where
communications >barriers< were an advantage.  The only examples I can think
of are "oppressed classes":  Slaves, inhabitants of conquered provinces,
alternate-lifestyle subcultures, minority religions, secret societies,
traveling entertainers, teenagers.  All have business to conduct that must
be concealed from power-wielding members of the majority culture, and all
find or develop ways to hide their communication.

Thus I expect words ordering rule differences will prove to be a fossil
record of either separate development of languages from scratch (extremely
unlikely) or the resolution of political conflicts, not a parameter that
was tuned to maximize information transfer.

(And speaking of "oppressed classes" and words ordering rules: wasn't
there some work done recently {with descendants of about three groups
of slaves, in different parts of the world, with strongly differing
languages [both owners' and ancestors']} that indicated a "natural"
set of words ordering rules that occur in languages developed by
language-education-deprived people?)

  "I've got code in my node."	| UUCP:  umix.cc.umich.edu!node!michael
				| AUDIO: (313) 973-8787
	Michael McClary		| SNAIL: 2091 Chalmers, Ann Arbor MI 48104
Above opinions are the official position of McClary Associates.  Customers
may have opinions of their own, which are given all the attention paid for.

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (01/21/88)

In article <165000005@uiucdcsb>, reddy@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> 2. Language SV: subject + verb.  (I went.  You hunt.  She ate).
>
>    At this stage there are two choices for word order.  S-V or V-S.
>    All the languages I know have S-V.  Anybody know the other one?

Polynesian languages are more-or-less VSO.  For example:
	Ka          inu    a          Pita  te  wai.
	<inceptive> ingest <personal> Peter the water

	Ka          inumia         te  wai   i  a          Pita.
	<inceptive> ingest+passive the water by <personal> Peter
It might be better to describe the order as
	<Predicate> <Subject> <Comment>
Although English is my native language, this seems a more sensible order
to me.

In article <23431@cca.CCA.COM>, bobcoe@cca.CCA.COM (Robert K. Coe) writes:
> In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
> I have to wonder what Nakashima would make of the Polynesian languages
> (Hawaiian et al), in which the very distinction between nouns and verbs is at
> most weak and unconvincing.

While it is true that *individual words* "bases" are not readily classifiable
as nouns, verbs, adjectives &c (many words in Maaori are so-called
"universals" which means they can be all three), it is nevertheless the case
that noun PHRASES and verb PHRASES are clearly distinct.  There is a set of
particles which can begin a verb phrase, and there is a set of particles
which can begin a noun phrase, and there is very little overlap or confusion.
For example, in
	Kua waiata teenei tangata
	---
	Has sung   that   man
the particle Kua tells us that we've got a verb phrase, but in
	Kei te rongo a Hoani ki ngaa waiata
			        ----
	is listening John    to the  songs
the article Ngaa (the/plural) tells us that we've got a (plural) noun phrase.

ut6y@hp1.ccs.cornell.edu (Uncle Mikey (Michael Scott Shappe)) (01/22/88)

In article <975@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>	- Latin has verbs at the end too, French hasn't.

In Classical Latin, the most important verb of the sentence comes last, true,
but other verbs (assuming more than a simple sence) needn't come in any
particular order, though they usually end off their clause.  In simple senten-
ces, the verb USUALLY comes last, but may appear anywhere the speaker feels
is appropriate to what s/he is trying to say, including first.

Uncle Mikey
Michael Scott Shappe -- Cornell University
BitNet: UT6Y@CRNLVAX5
Inter : UT6Y@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu, @hp1.ccs.cornell.edu
UUCP  : UT6Y@hp1.UUCP

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (01/23/88)

In article <23431@cca.CCA.COM> bobcoe@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Robert K. Coe) writes:
>I have to wonder what Nakashima would make of the Polynesian languages
>(Hawaiian et al), in which the very distinction between nouns and verbs is at
>most weak and unconvincing.

One needs to be careful in making claims like this.  English also has
ways of converting nouns into verbs and vice versa.  For example, any
verb can be used in its progressive participial form as a gerundive or
gerund: "John's opening the door", "John's opening of the door".  We can
also take nouns into verbs, as in "Your statement impacted our report"
and "They proxmired us again".  Some languages appear to tolerate this
kind of functional shift more freely than English does.  This has to do
with rules of word formation in the language, not its failure to make a

In article <236@pyuxf.UUCP> asg@pyuxf.UUCP (alan geller) writes:
>Also, historically, Old English often follows the word order of modern German.

Indo-European was probably SOV, but verb-last word order in modern
German is a recent development in that language, I believe.  Historically,
German went through a verb-medial stage just like English.  Someone
please correct me if I am wrong about this.

>	- Do languages whose grammars were frozen earlier tend to have
>		later action verbs than those whose grammars were frozen
>		more recently?  Note that English grammar is still changing.

English grammar is still changing, and so are all the others--except
maybe for dead languages.  Give an example of a language with a frozen
grammar.

>	- Do languages with a greater written history tend to have late
>		action verbs, as opposed to those with primarily oral
>		traditions?  Again, English didn't have a large body of
>		written work until after Chaucer.

No.  The language with the longest written record--Chinese--is currently
verb-medial and shows evidence of moving towards verb-last word order.
All other verb-last languages have shorter written histories, and some
have none at all.  The answer is an emphatic *NO*.

>	- Is there any correlation between form of government and placement
>		of action verbs?  This is pretty far-fetched, but I notice that

The answer is once more *NO*.  This kind of unfounded speculation about
natural language structure and environment is normally discussed in the
first few days of an introductory linguistics course.  If you feel that
your reasoning is far-fetched--and Hideyuki Nakashima mentioned that his
was "naive"--why don't you seek formal training?

The original issue that triggered this debate--whether or not word order
could in principle be explained in terms of culture--has been
convincingly answered in the negative.  Those who wish to continue
supporting such a notion should at least try to respond to arguments
against their position.  This whole debate is like one of those birthday
candles that keeps reigniting no matter how many times it is blown out.
--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

poser@russell.UUCP (01/24/88)

	To add an example to Rick Wojcik's point, Egyptian is one of the
earliest attested languages (since ~3000 BCE), but in its
earliest forms (Old and Middle Egyptian - I'm not familiar with later
Egyptian) it was verb-initial.

						Bill

coray@nucsrl.UUCP (Not playing with a duck) (01/26/88)

Reddy writes:

>In making theories of languages, we have to first remember that
>languages EVOLVED.
   [he goes on to suggest that there is an ordering to the evolution
   of different phrase structures.  First verb, then subject and verb,
   then subject verb and object. ]

--------------------------
Linguistic evolution is hard to measure.  Some interesting things have
been done with the evolution of color terms.  Berlin and Kay used to
be the source, but that's probably pretty dated.

You have fairly sophisticated phrase structures from pretty sophisticated
modern languages when you look at "subject" "verb" "object".  Can't imagine
that these grammarical segments arrive separately and sequentially.  Things
tend to evolve contemporaniously by virtue of differentiation as you move
a level down on the tree.  At the root of the tree you might imagine that
there are command words and question words and statement words.  (The
builder yells to his assistant "Slab".--yes, I know, I stole that from
Wittgenstein--I have no original ideas...)

Maybe linguistically ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny. For instance,
a friend of mine (who is about 2), says "chicken".  This means "Put
on Warren Zevon's `Werewolf in London' again".  Now, most people might
not recognize that as such, but it shows a certain economy of language
at the root of the development tree.

-Elizabeth

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (01/27/88)

In article <1729@russell.STANFORD.EDU> nakashim@russell.UUCP (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
>I DON'T MIND HOW MANY CONTER EXAMPLES THERE ARE
>AS LONG AS POSITIVE EXAMPLES OUTNUMBER HTEM.

Your understanding of the corpus problem in scientific linguistics seems
non-existant.  I may be wrong, but nothing in this posting suggests
familiarity with the methodological problems of linguistic theory
formation.  Given this cavalier approach to relevant disciplines and
methodological dilemmas, I presume you must be in AI :-)

--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci

inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection) (01/28/88)

In article <6565@drutx.ATT.COM>, clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
> in article <143@blic.BLI.COM>, inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection) says:
> > Try opening a book and doing some research before proposing arrogant and
> > specious theories.

> There is something quite Japanese (perhaps what is often seen as vague) in
> Mr. Nakashima's original posting, and you have missed it entirely.

After spending a year with a Japanese man, (13 years ago, no bitterness then
or now) I am not unacquainted with this "vagueness" you mention. I found
HIM as transparent as glass. Now, Mr. Nakashima proposed a theory that the
language structuring differences might have evolved because he believed
that the Japanese were "basically farmers" and the Europeans were "basically
hunters". What's to miss? It was his lack of prior research and his asser-
tation that the Japanese were more attuned to nuance and people's moods that
I found arrogant. Having lived in the San Francisco area most of my life, I
have been exposed to many cultures and people from "elsewhere",  that and a
rather voracious appetite for eclectic reading have led me to believe that
there are no superior cultures or "races".  There are those in the US and
abroad who maintain that there ARE superior cultures and "races": theirs.
Even the implication, my own inference if you prefer, that one group is over-
all superior to another is repugnant to me.

> Perhaps there is something really different about the organization of
> information from generality to heuristics, as it is done in the east.

No argument. But the farmer/hunter premise is invalid.

> Perhaps this is interesting to someone doing creative work.  Even in
> the positivist side of ai technology.

The 10% inspiration is laudable, but the 90% perspiration is required to
make the difference between day-dreaming and research. I know, I am a day-
dreamer and diletante; knowing this forces me to research ideas before
offering them to newsgroups.  Mr. Nakashima was given several paths to
explore and information on the history of agriculture in Europe and in
Japan: his farmer/hunter premise was wrong.  This should be a whole new
starting point for his continued research, if he so chooses. Being in-
volved in creative work has its risks and one of those is being wrong. I
took constructive critisms for my own creative works and, you know, the
critics helped me improve a lot of my work. Once one rubs away the first
stings of criticism, it can feel good to follow a more effective path.

> Actually, you might want to consider your own arrogance with such talk.
> I hope it gets to be something you can appreciate better than to be rude.

I was dubious about my second posting on the subject, as regards rude remarks,
but as Mr. Nakashima insisted, despite evidence to the contrary, that his
theory had merit (regarding the farmer/hunter premise), I made a concious
decision to write what I did.  Ignoring the facts in favor of maintaining a
pet theory is arrogant and specious and bad research. However, it was rude
of me to point that out, and I apologise.

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (01/28/88)

In article <3532@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>Finally, this topic really belongs in sci.lang.  It has little to do with AI.

If every topic raised in AI was restricted to its proper discipline,
this news group would be empty.  Personally, I would rather see the
computational paradigm properly distributed through the disciplines,
rather than left to the intellectual margins and scholarly wastelands
of AI.  However, given that AI exists, takes funding and pushes itself
onto the popular consciousness as a valid contribution to the
understanding of humanity, it is far more sensible for disciplined and
informed discussion to keep pushing into comp.ai.  AI workers complain
regularly about the oppressiveness of other disciplines when trying to
develop a computational view of human nature.  Lets keep up the oppression :-)

--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci
ARPA: gilbert%hci.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk UUCP: ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hci!gilbert

zwicky@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Arnold Zwicky) (01/29/88)

There is no reason to think that everything in language is there "for a
purpose" any more than there is to think that everything in nature is.
There *is* an enormous amount of randomness in the world, both natural
and cultural.

In the linguistic case, there is a huge amount of variability in expression,
both across languages and within languages.  Within a language, there is
a purpose for much of this variability (though surely not all of it);
different word orders, constructions, intonations, pronunciations, etc.
are associated with different discourse functions and serve as
sociolinguistic markers.  But these functions are largely arbitrarily
associated with linguistic form - the same form can serve different
functions in different languages, and different forms can serve the
same function in different languages.  (This is not to deny that
certain forms are particularly good for certain functions, like
rising intonation for asking questions.  It *is* to deny that this
form is locked onto that function; if the form is already taken for
some purpose, then any other form available in the language can be
pressed into service.)

None of this posits any universal scheme of association between language
(in particular, syntax) and other aspects of culture.  The bits of a
language have to fit together, elegantly or clunkily, as the particular
case might be, into a complex system with many purposes, but to ask
WHY these particular bits are assembled in particular languages is to
invite the answers:  Just because.  Whatever is, is right.

What I have just said will probably seem pretty unsatisfying to some
readers.  Lots of people would like to believe that there have to be
deep reasons for why things are the way they are, that historical
accident is never a satisfactory account of the panoply of nature
and culture.  If those are your beliefs, then I'm not likely to change
your mind.  But I'd like to try to change your mind, at least if you're
going to be thinking seriously about language.  Looking for the big WHY
answers is a bad research strategy here; it leads you to overlook much
of the essential complexity of the phenomena.  The question of WHAT there
is in language is a tougone, and insofar as we know the answers they
seem to require an intricate system oconpts and hypotheses, most
of them with no detectable connection to matters of culture or
geography or ethnicity.  If you attend only to phenomena that you can
plausibly interpret by reference to culture etc., then you're going
to miss most of the relevant data.

nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) (01/29/88)

I first appologize that the first half of this article is not ment to
appear at comp.ai.  I just couldn't send a mail directly to
inspect@blic.bli.com.

The real stuff comes in the second half.

In article <161@blic.BLI.COM> inspect@blic.BLI.COM (Mfg Inspection) writes:

>It was his lack of prior research and his asser-
>tation that the Japanese were more attuned to nuance and people's moods that
>I found arrogant.

My appology for your misunderstanding.

But I never said that Japanese people are more attuned to whatever.
I just said that Japanese language is.  The example is the honorific
system which English lacks.

By the way, to see how Japanese is complecated in expressing ones
mood, it is not sufficient to have conversation with Japanese people
speaking in English.  You should speak Japanese yourself.

By the way 2:  I don't like THAT complicated aspect of Japanese.

So, I ment no offence.

> Having lived in the San Francisco area most of my life, I
>have been exposed to many cultures and people from "elsewhere",  that and a
>rather voracious appetite for eclectic reading have led me to believe that
>there are no superior cultures or "races".

I totally agree with you.  Is surprises me that you infer the opposite
from my discussion.

>Mr. Nakashima was given several paths to
>explore and information on the history of agriculture in Europe and in
>Japan: his farmer/hunter premise was wrong.

I was wrong in two points:
1) supposing Europe was primarily hunting culture.
2) supposing Latin was verb-middle.

Being both of them negated, isn't there still a chance to corelate
real-timeness to word order?
  (agriculture - Latin/Japanese - verb-last,
   hunting - English - verb-middle)
(I admit that German is an exception.)
(BTW: Is Latin head-last?)

The original intuition of the theory comes from that it is very
difficult to communicate in "really" real-time situation in Japanese.
I can say "dame" which is something like "no", but I cannot transfer
information of "no what" at the same time.

How could such a language survive if it were used in hunting?

I just wanted to explain and still want to explain this fact.

--

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (01/29/88)

In article <2026@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Hideyuki Nakashima) writes:
> I was wrong in two points:
> 1) supposing Europe was primarily hunting culture.
> 2) supposing Latin was verb-middle.
>
> Being both of them negated, isn't there still a chance to corelate
> real-timeness to word order?
>   (agriculture - Latin/Japanese - verb-last,
>    hunting - English - verb-middle)
> (I admit that German is an exception.)

E hoohaa ana teenei koorerorero.

A recent issue of Scientific American had an article on the prehistory
of agriculture in Europe.  It is even older than I had thought.
English started out as a Germanic language like Old Norse or Old
Icelandic, was phonologically influenced somewhat by contact with
Welsh, and then was hit by the Norman conquest:  the Normans being
Scandinavians who had recently adopted French.  Hunting had not been
of primary economic importance for any of these groups for a long time.

Before trying to find explanations for features of English or any other
language in the culture of its early speakers, would it not be wise to
take the not-very-difficult step of finding out what that culture WAS?

Let me quote a sentence from King Alfred's preface to "Pastoral Care".
(Sorry about the transliteration into ASCII; suggestions welcome.)
          '              v  '               '
	Tha   gemunde   ic hu  seo ae  waes earest on Ebreisc
	Then  recalled  I  how the law was  first  in Hebrew
         '                              '  '    '
	getheode funden, and eft,     tha hie Crecas geleornodon,
	language found,  and in turn, when it Greeks learned,
          '              '   '              '
	tha wendon      hie hie   on  hira  agen getheode ealle,
	then translated it  they into their own  language entirely,
            '          '      'v
	and eac  ealle othre bec.
	and also every other book.

The time period we are talking about is the very late 9th century,
about 1100 years ago.  Note the position of funden and geleornodon.
This is recognisably English, but the word order is rather different.
My own suspicion, for what it is worth, is that the loss of inflexions
has had more influence on Modern English structure than any strictly
cultural phenomena (testable, perhaps, by looking at non-English
pidgins?).  Modern French is SVO, and the development of French out
of vulgar Latin is pretty well documented.  Did the French drop
agriculture and switch over to hunting?  Pull the other one, it's
got bells on.

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (01/29/88)

In article <3579@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>We can also take nouns into verbs, as in "Your statement impacted our report"
>and "They proxmired us again".  Some languages appear to tolerate this
>kind of functional shift more freely than English does.

Namely American English!  The arbitrary conversions of nouns to verbs
is more a feature of American than British English.  The vocabulary of
the latter is sufficiently rich to not require the spawning of ugly
neologisms :-)  (though British Trade Unionese does verbify a lot)

.. and yes, I *DID* split that infinitive!
--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci
ARPA: gilbert%hci.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk UUCP: ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hci!gilbert

fritz@hpfclp.HP.COM (Gary Fritz) (01/30/88)

Regardless of the validity Nakashima-san's linguistic theory, I must agree
with him on one of his points:

> >It was his lack of prior research and his asser-
> >tation that the Japanese were more attuned to nuance and people's moods that
> >I found arrogant.
>
> My appology for your misunderstanding.
>
> But I never said that Japanese people are more attuned to whatever.
> I just said that Japanese language is.  The example is the honorific
> system which English lacks.
>
> By the way, to see how Japanese is complecated in expressing ones
> mood, it is not sufficient to have conversation with Japanese people
> speaking in English.  You should speak Japanese yourself.

I have been studying Japanese for well over a year now, and if there is
one thing that is clear to me, it is that Japanese excells at vagueness
and expression of one's mood.  Many times my teacher (who speaks excellent
English) has tried and failed to explain the subtleties involved in
seemingly unimportant changes of phrasing.  It appears that Japanese
is more finely tuned for subtly expressing one's feelings about a subject
than for actually conveying hard information about the subject.  This is
probably part of the reason why English-speaking people are considered
(by Japanese people) rather rude, because they come right to the point and
convey information directly, rather than hinting at what they feel.

Obviously a year's study does not make me an expert in the language, but
I felt Nakashima-san had received enough flames and needed some support
on at least one of his points.

Gary Fritz

hen@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Bill Henneman) (01/30/88)

In message <2026@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, nakashim@russell.STANFORD.EDU
(Hideyuki Nakashima) asks:

> (BTW: Is Latin head-last?)

Latin, being fully inflected, allows fine distinctions in emphasis by
switching word order.  I dimly recall a study (probably by Roland
Kent) concluding that "normal" word order was used less than half the
time in formal Latin, and much less than that in colloquial usage.

> The original intuition of the theory comes from that it is very
> difficult to communicate in "really" real-time situation in Japanese.
> I can say "dame" which is something like "no", but I cannot transfer
> information of "no what" at the same time.

> How could such a language survive if it were used in hunting?

My limited experiance with hunting in groups is that any form of
spoken communication is counter-productive.  Prey generally have
pretty sharp hearing.  Hand signals are the most common form of
communication.

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (01/30/88)

I have answered Alan Geller's article in the sci.lang news group.
Anyone interested in this subject should look in that news group in the
future for a complete rendition of everything that is being said.

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (02/02/88)

In article <158@glenlivet.hci.hw.ac.uk> gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
>In article <3532@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>>Finally, this topic really belongs in sci.lang.  It has little to do with AI.
>
>If every topic raised in AI was restricted to its proper discipline,
>this news group would be empty.  Personally, I would rather see the

I suppose that you could justify debate on anything in this newgroup, in
which case it would be the opposite of empty :-).  The public seems to
want to debate this issue here, so I'll stop trying to move it.  Still,
it seems to have little to do with the problems that AI researchers busy
themselves with.  And it has everything to do with what language
scholars busy themselves with.  Perhaps the participants realize
instinctively that their views make more sense in this newsgroup.

tutiya@alan.STANFORD.EDU (Syun Tutiya) (02/03/88)

In article <3725@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>Still,
>it seems to have little to do with the problems that AI researchers busy
>themselves with.  And it has everything to do with what language
>scholars busy themselves with.  Perhaps the participants realize
>instinctively that their views make more sense in this newsgroup.

I am no AI researcher or language scholar, so find it interesting to
learn that even in AI there could be an argument/discussion as to
whether this is a proper subject or that is not.  Does what AI
researchers are busy with define the proper domain of AI research?
People who answer yes to this question can be safely said to live in
an established discipline called AI.

But if AI research is to be something which aims at a theory about
intelligence, whether human or machine, I would say interests in AI
and those in philosophy is almost coextensive.

I do not mind anyone taking the above as a joke but the following
seems to be really a problem for both AI researchers and language
scholars.

A myth has it that variation in language is a matter of what is called
parameter setting, with the same inborn universal linguistic faculty
only modified with respect to a preset range of parameters.  That
linguistic faculty is relatively independent of other human faculties,
basically.  But on the other hand, AI research seems to be based on the
assumption that all the kinds of intellectual faculty are realilzed in
essentially the same manner.  So it is not unnatural for an AI
researcher try to come up with a "theory" which should "explain" the
way one of the human faculties is like, which endeavor sounds very odd
and unnatural to well-educated language scholars.  Nakashima's
original theory may have no grain of truth, I agree, but the following
exchange of opinions revealed, at least to me, that AI researchers on
the netland have lost the real challenging spirit their precursors
shared when they embarked on the project of AI.

Sorry for unproductive, onlooker-like comments.

Syun
(tutiya@csli.stanford.edu)
[The fact that I share the nationality and affiliation with Nakashima
has nothing to do with the above comments.]

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (02/05/88)

In article <7390003@hpfclp.HP.COM> fritz@hpfclp.HP.COM (Gary Fritz) writes:

>I have been studying Japanese for well over a year now, and if there is
>one thing that is clear to me, it is that Japanese excells at vagueness
>and expression of one's mood.  Many times my teacher (who speaks excellent
>English) has tried and failed to explain the subtleties involved in
>seemingly unimportant changes of phrasing.  It appears that Japanese

I think that your problem with Japanese is the same one faced by all
language learners.  There is nothing special about Japanese.  Have you
ever tried to explain English to a Japanese or Russian speaker ;-?  Try
explaining the difference between "John likes to ski" and "John likes
skiing".  How about the distinction between "Eve gave Adam an apple" and
"Eve gave an apple to Adam"?  There are reasons why English makes a
distinction between these constructions, but they are not readily
apparent, even to those well-versed in grammatical theory.
--
Rick Wojcik   csnet:  rwojcik@boeing.com
              uucp:  {uw-june  uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!bcsaic!rwojcik

fritz@hpfclp.HP.COM (Gary Fritz) (02/09/88)

> I think that your problem with Japanese is the same one faced by all
> language learners.  There is nothing special about Japanese.  Have you
> ever tried to explain English to a Japanese or Russian speaker ;-?  Try
> explaining the difference between "John likes to ski" and "John likes
> skiing".  How about the distinction between "Eve gave Adam an apple" and
> "Eve gave an apple to Adam"?

I disagree.  You are, I believe, speaking as a person with no experience
in Japanese.  (This is why I felt someone with some knowledge of Japanese
should support Nakashima-san's statements about "nuances" in Japanese.
Too many people were stating opinions with little or no factual/experiential
basis.)  I have learned a reasonable amount of French and German, and a
smattering of Italian, Spanish, and Swedish.  None of these languages
(to my knowledge) contain the same subtleties of expression of MOOD, and
vaguess of expression of CONTENT, that I have observed in Japanese.  I have
been told the same thing by two different Japanese teachers (both of which
speak excellent English), and several other native speakers.

Japanese is VERY different from any Western language I am familiar with.
This is to be expected, since it does not have the common roots in Greek
and Latin found in most Western European languages.  It also evolved in
a vastly different society than Western languages.  Perhaps it isn't
"special", but it is very definitely *different*, and I stand by my
previous claims.

(Disclaimer:  I do not have any formal training in linguistics.  I have
some experience in several languages, including Japanese, but that is all.)

Gary Fritz

sp202-ad@garnet.berkeley.edu (02/11/88)

In article <7390004@hpfclp.HP.COM> fritz@hpfclp.HP.COM (Gary Fritz) writes:

>.... Italian, Spanish, and Swedish.  None of these languages
>(to my knowledge) contain the same subtleties of expression of MOOD, and
>vaguess of expression of CONTENT, that I have observed in Japanese ...
>
>Japanese is VERY different from any Western language I am familiar with.
>This is to be expected, since it does not have the common roots in Greek
>and Latin found in most Western European languages.  It also evolved in
>a vastly different society than Western languages.  Perhaps it isn't
>"special", but it is very definitely *different*, and I stand by my
>previous claims.

I have had no training in Japanese, but from what I have gathered throughout
this discussion the issue raised here is that of cultural relativity.  The
fact that Japanese evolved in a different society than Western languages
does not *necessarily* explain structural differences between it and, say,
Romance and Germanic languages.  Both Basque and Spanish, to give a
counterexample, are now spoken in the same bilingual society (the Basque
Country, Spain), and yet their structural differences are immense.  Material
culture and social structures *do* have an effect in language development,
but similar nuances *can* be expressed in highly differentiated languages
through disimilar procedures.  Otherwise, effective translation would not
exist.  What the participants in this discussion are probably talking about
is the question of *codification* of cultural notions in a
language's syntax or lexicon.  The following early article by
Fishman might be useful for anyone interested in the topic:

Fishman, Joshua A.  1960.  "A systematization of the Whorfian hypothesis."
	_Behavioral_Science_ vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 323-339.

Perhaps we should look, not at the effect of alleged macro-social factors
such as a hunting society" vs. "a peasant society" in language development,
but, rather, at the opposite process -- the ways in which language use
in verbal interaction *signals* social meanings or reflects certain
aspects of social organization.  The issue of politeness strategies is one
fascinating dimension of linguistic pragmatics.  But, are we to conclude
from comparing linguistic structures and rhetorical strategies from
languages A and B that society A is "more polite" than society B
-- according, not to a fix, predetermined set of values, but to
*each society's* own values?

Celso Alvarez (sp202-ad@garnet.berkeley.edu.UUCP)