[comp.ai] Modal Logic and AI -- References Needed

kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Thomas Kurfurst) (02/27/88)

I am seeking references to seminal works relating modal logic to artifical
intelligence research, especially more theoretical (philosophical)
papers rather than applications per se.

Any and all pointers will be greatly appreciated - I am having trouble
tracking these down myself. Thanks in advance.

--

________

Thomas Kurfurst      kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)
205 Wineva Road      kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.cdn (EANeX.400)
Toronto, Ontario     {decvax,ihnp4,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!kurfurst
CANADA M4E 2T5       kurfurst%gpu.utcs.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net (CSnet)
(416) 699-5738

________

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/28/88)

In article <1988Feb27.021115.11206@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Thomas Kurfurst) writes:
>I am seeking references to seminal works relating modal logic to artifical
>intelligence research, especially more theoretical (philosophical)
>papers rather than applications per se.

I am currently researching the application of various kinds of
"alternative" logics to AI.  I, also, would be interested in information
about modal logic in this context, but also for multi-valued and fuzzy
logics.

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Mad Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (02/29/88)

In article <1988Feb27.021115.11206@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Thomas Kurfurst) writes:

>I am seeking references to seminal works relating modal logic to artifical
>intelligence research, especially more theoretical (philosophical)
>papers rather than applications per se.

Depends, of course, on how broad you intend "modal" to cover, but here
are a few starting points:

S. C. Shapiro (ed.), Encyclopedia of AI (John Wiley, 1987):
    -   articles on Modal Logic, Belief Systems

J. Y. Halpern (ed.), Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning About Knowledge
(Los Altos, CA:  Morgan Kaufmann)

and, not to be shy, my own work on belief representation is rather
philosophical:

Rapaport, William J. (1986), ``Logical Foundations for Belief Representation,''
Cognitive Science 10:  371-422.
					William J. Rapaport
					Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

cal@usl (Craig Anthony Leger) (03/30/88)

In article <1988Feb27.021115.11206@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
kurfurst@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Thomas Kurfurst) writes:
>I am seeking references to seminal works relating modal logic to artifical
>intelligence research, especially more theoretical (philosophical)
>papers rather than applications per se.

This is a list that I sent to a friend a couple of months ago.
These works do not represent current research in modal logic,
but are very useful as starting points and as standard reference works.
The comments are highly subjective, but provide some indication
as to whether the work has a philosophical or mathematical perspective.

%H BC 51 B64
%A Raymond Bradley
%A Norman Swartz
%T Possible Worlds:  An Introduction to Logic and Its Philosophy
%I Hackett
%C Indianapolis, Indiana
%D 1979
%X
This is a very enjoyable work that looks at modal logic
from the perspective of the philosopher.  Numerous sections
dealing with the relation between symbolic logic and
epistemology and the philosophy of science.  Sections 4.5
and 4.6 (pp. 205-245), together with a table (pp. 327-28),
are the most valuable parts of the book.

%H BC 135 L43
%A Clarence Irving Lewis
%A Cooper Harold Langford
%T Symbolic Logic
%I The Century Company
%C New York
%D 1932
%S The Century Philosophy Series
%E Sterling P. Lamprecht
%X
The classic work on modal logic.  Good essays on the notions
of logical implication and deduction.

%H BC 135 W7
%A Georg Henrik von Wright
%T An Essay in Modal Logic
%I North-Holland
%C Amsterdam
%D 1951
%S Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics
%E L. E. J. Brouwer, E. W. Beth, A. Heyting
%X
This is a very short work (90 pp.), yet perhaps the most illuminating.
Modal logic is treated almost entirely on the symbolic level;
very little discussion of conflicting interpretations.
It is my major source for those (relatively) undisputed results
in modal logic.

Bradley & Swartz  --  Lewis  --  von Wright
<== most philosophical most mathematical ==>

Good reading to you,
Craig Anthony Leger
cal@usl.usl.edu

dailey@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John H. Dailey) (04/10/88)

  Though it is somewhat mathematically sophisticated, I think that the best
recent book on modal logic is: Modal Logic and Classical Logic, by Johan van
Benthem, Bibliopolis, 1983. A mathematically easier text is Hughes and
Cresswell's Companion to Modal Logic -- I don't have it here for the publishing
data, but it came out only a couple of years ago. Another, more specialized book
is: The Unprovability of Consistency, by George Boolos, Cambridge U. Press.
 For a more philosophical look at possible worlds you should read: Inquiry, by
Robert Stalnaker, MIT Press, 1984. Though none of these books deal with AI, they
are some of the best books recently done on modal logic. For work closer to AI
(actually, natural language processing) you might want to look at Montague
Semantics, which incorporates a possible worlds approach (see also Gallin's
Intensional Mathematics--(North Holland?) which gives some completeness results
for Montague systems). For criticisms of this approach see, e.g. the first
chapter of Topics in the Syntax and Semantics of Infinitives and Gerunds,
by Gennaro Chierchia, Ph.D. dissertation, UMass, Amherst.
  The list of articles on modal logic is endless, especially for natural
language semantics, but the above books should give you a good feel for the
subject.

|				      John H. Dailey                         |
|				      Center for Applied Math.               |
|				      Cornell U.                             |
|				      Ithaca, N.Y. 14853                     |
|                            dailey@CRNLCAM (Bitnet)                         |
|			     dailey@amvax.tn.cornell.edu   (ARPANET)         |

dailey@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John H. Dailey) (04/11/88)

 Ooops. In a previous article I credited Steward Shapiro's Intentional Math. to
 D. Gallin. I meant to recommend D. Gallin, Intensional and Higher Order Logic,
 North Holland, 1975. Perhaps a good starting reference for various aspects of
 modal logic is the Handbook of Philosophical Logic, Vol. II, ed. D. Gabbay
 and F. Guenthner, D. Reidel, 1984.

                                 -John H. Dailey