[comp.ai] Simulated Intelligence

eliot@mind.UUCP (Eliot Handelman) (04/05/88)

Intelligence draws upon the resources of what Dostoevsky, in the "Notes from
Underground", called the "advantageous advantage" of the individual who found
his life circumscribed by "logarithms", or some form of computational
determinism: the ability to veto reason. My present inclination is to believe
that AI, in the long run, may only be a test for underlying mechanical
constraints of of theories of intelligence, and therefore inapplicable to
to the simulation of human intelligence.

I'd like to hear this argued for or against.

Best wishes to all,

Eliot Handelman

maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) (04/16/88)

In article <2051@mind.UUCP> eliot@mind.UUCP (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>Intelligence draws upon the resources of what Dostoevsky, in the "Notes from
>Underground", called the "advantageous advantage" of the individual who found
>his life circumscribed by "logarithms", or some form of computational
>determinism: the ability to veto reason. My present inclination is to believe
>that AI, in the long run, may only be a test for underlying mechanical
>constraints of of theories of intelligence, and therefore inapplicable to
>to the simulation of human intelligence.

	If it's AI, it will incorporate irrationality.  As you, after
Dostoevsky, imply, intelligence is a superset of reason.  Think
of the human organism as a bag of perceptions and hormonal
interactions with the mind as the way station for the whole
exceedingly tangled perceptual/emotional/intellectual circus.
	At present, we have only begun to understand the complexities
of the brain's neurotransmitter interactions, so we are only beginning
to know the brain, but we have already grasped that
that the mind's complexity far exceeds earlier estimates.
	If you're interested in seeing my best shot at portraying
these ideas, look for a few sf stories:  "The Mind like a Strange
Balloon" in the April, 1985 _Omni_, "Snake Eyes" in the April, 1986
_Omni_ (and in the _Mirrorshades_ anthology, coming out in paperback
almost instantly), and "The Robot and the One You Love" in the March,
1988 _Omni_.  They are my attempts at thinking through these
problems.