[comp.ai] Credit Assignment redux

bc@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (bill coderre) (04/26/88)

Here are the two responses I got from my request for useful references
on the Credit Assignment Problem. I include them without comment....bc

From dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu Mon Apr 25 17:32:36 1988
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 09:47:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Greene <dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: ailist@kl.sri.com, bc@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Credit Assignment Problem

Obviously, it will depend on the technique and domain you are involved with,
but Holland and Smith both offer some interesting insights into some of the
issues... especially with regard to genetic algorithms and classifier systems.

Holland,J.H.  "Escaping Brittleness: the Possibilities of General Purpose
Learning Algorithms Applied to Parallel Rule-Based Systems" in Machine
Learning: An Artificial Intelligence Approach, volume II,  R. Michalski, J.
Carbonell, and T. Mitchell (Eds.), Morgan Kaufmann, 1986.

Smith, S.F.  "Adaptive Learning Systems" in Expert Systems, Principles and Case
Studies, R. Forsyth (Ed.),  Chapman and Hall, Ltd., 1984, chpt. 11.

Hope these are useful.

-David
dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu

From ACOUST%BNR.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU Mon Apr 25 17:33:11 1988
Date:     25 Apr 88 12:21:00 EDT
To: Bill Coderre <bc@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
From: Nahum (N.) Goldmann <ACOUST%BNR.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sender: Nahum (N.) Goldmann <ACOUST%BNR.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>

This will help you to retrieve information on the subject
of interest.  Greetings.  Nahum

ONLINE RESEARCH AND RETRIEVAL WITH MICROCOMPUTERS, by Nahum
Goldmann

This book (TAB Professional and Reference Books,
ISBN 0-8306-1947-X, tel. 1-800-233-1128) is the first on
computerized information retrieval specifically addressed to the
end-user.  The book describes what kind of information is
available online, how to search for it, and how to use it to
your advantage.

The book outlines the SUBJECT EXPERT SEARCHING TECHNIQUE - a new
methodology for online information gathering.  This efficient
research method is especially tailored for the end-users of
information who are working in rapidly developing scientific
areas.  It has been successfully used by several R&D
organizations.  With this technique, occasional users such as
scientists and students can now master the use of online
databases for themselves.

Nahum Goldmann
<ACOUST@BNR.CA>
Tel. (613)763-2329

Thank you both for your kind information....................bc