[comp.ai] AI texts

g-zeiden@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Zeidenberg) (04/24/88)

I'm teaching intro AI here at the Univ. of Wisconin this coming
summer, and I'm trying to choose a text. I'm considering Rich,
Winston, Nilsson and Tanimoto's books. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (04/25/88)

In article <1516@gumby.cs.wisc.edu> g-zeiden@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Zeidenberg) writes:
>I'm teaching intro AI here at the Univ. of Wisconin this coming
>summer, and I'm trying to choose a text. I'm considering Rich,
>Winston, Nilsson and Tanimoto's books. Any opinions?

For an intro course, the above are all good; also, Charniak &
McDermott.  I suppose it depends on whether you want a broad
overview, and on what YOU think AI really is.  Some LISP should
be a prerequisite, PROLOG may be helpful.  And of course the new
hot topic is connectionism/neural networks.  (I am still a grad
student, & speak from the point of view of having studied rather
than taught...)

Dave DeMers    UCSD

ong@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (04/26/88)

How about Nilsson and Genesereth's Logical Foundations of AI?  Some of
the chapters are definitely not introductory stuff, but it is written
in a very clear and concise manner.

Students might find it interesting to be exposed to neural networks in
an introductory AI course, too.

morus@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas M.) (04/28/88)

In article <4894@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> demers@beowulf.UUCP (David E Demers) writes:
>In article <1516@gumby.cs.wisc.edu> g-zeiden@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Zeidenberg) writes:
>>I'm teaching intro AI here at the Univ. of Wisconin this coming
>>summer, and I'm trying to choose a text. I'm considering Rich,
>>Winston, Nilsson and Tanimoto's books. Any opinions?

From a didactical point of view you might consider the TIME-LIFE book
"Artificial intelligence" which visualizes some of the main topics like
rule-based reasoning, learning, knowledge representations, pattern recogni-
tion. Good source for overhead-transparencies.
Some anekdotes about the "authorities" in the field too.
For the same reason - good visualization - have look at HARMON/KING
"Expert Systems" (John Wiley & Sons 1985).
For a critical look upon the ideas of KI there is DREYFUS/DREYFUS
"Mind over Machine" (The Free Press 1986).

-- Thomas Muhr

--
! Thomas Muhr    Knowledge-Based Systems Dept. Technical University of Berlin !
! BITNET/EARN:	 muhrth@db0tui11.bitnet                                       !