[comp.ai] how to recognize a chinese character

daniel@vmucnam.UUCP (Daniel Lippmann) (04/26/88)

is there anybody knowing some computer-method to analize
a chinese character to find his place in a dictionnary ?
There are at least 2 problems/
- how to input the character ? by a graphical mean, with a
  system of question-answer to describe it,.....
-once inputed, how to analize it to find the page or set of pages
 where is translation can be found ? counting the number of strokes,
 identifying a key, using the 4 corners method,...
The problem to solve is : given an unknown characer how to determine
its rank in a dictionnary from its graphical aspect.
daniel (post or mail to ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!vmucnam!daniel)

cchang@hubcap.UUCP (Chin Hui Chang) (04/28/88)

In article <527@vmucnam.UUCP>, daniel@vmucnam.UUCP (Daniel Lippmann) writes:
> is there anybody knowing some computer-method to analize
> a chinese character to find his place in a dictionnary ?

Please post answers to this.  Better still, would Mr. Lippmann
compile all the responses he has received via e-mail and post
the collection?

				--Zhang Jinhui

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (05/03/88)

In article <527@vmucnam.UUCP> daniel@vmucnam.UUCP (Daniel Lippmann) writes:
>is there anybody knowing some computer-method to analize
>a chinese character to find his place in a dictionnary ?

You might want to implement the strategy used by James McCawley, in his
Guide to Chinese Characters for Eating in Chinese Restaurants (or some
such title--my copy of the book is at home), published by UChicago
Press.