[comp.ai] Proof Checker Wanted

abbott@aero.ARPA (Russell J. Abbott) (05/13/88)

Does anyone have or know of a public domain, free, or cheap proof
checker that can be used by undergraduates to write and check simple
proofs.  I'm teaching an automata theory and formal languages course,
and the students are having a hard time formalizing their thinking.  It
would be nice if they could practice with an automated proof checker.

A simple example problem is: prove that all strings in the set denoted
by the regular expression (01 + 10)* have the same number of 0's as 1.
The proof is straightforward by induction on the length of the string.

The proof checker should have built into it knowledge of set notation,
i.e., {X | p(X)}, strings, and of inductive proofs.  It should also have
a basic knowledge of simple arithmetic.  Of course it also needs to be
able to use results that are proved earlier or given to it as axioms.

Thanks,

-- Russ Abbott

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (05/13/88)

In article <30133@aero.ARPA> abbott@aerospace.aero.org (Russell J. Abbott) writes:
>Does anyone have or know of a public domain, free, or cheap proof
>checker that can be used by undergraduates to write and check simple
>proofs.

There are proof checkers (as well as proof givers) for both propositional
and predicate-logic natural-deduction systems in:

Schagrin, Morton L.; Rapaport, William J.; & Dipert, Randall D. (1985)
Logic:  A Computer Approach (New York:  McGraw-Hill).

Software for them are available from:

LCA Software
c/o Prof. Randall R. Dipert
Department of Philosophy
State University College
Fredonia, NY 14063
					William J. Rapaport
					Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

rgn@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Norris) (05/13/88)

In article <30133@aero.ARPA>, abbott@aero.ARPA (Russell J. Abbott) writes:
> Does anyone have or know of a public domain, free, or cheap proof
> checker that can be used by undergraduates to write and check simple
> proofs.  I'm teaching an automata theory and formal languages course,

[ requirements deleted ]

I would also be interested in a proof checker for possible use in
an Intro. to Theoretical Computer Science course.

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Norris
Dept. of Math Sciences	   UUCP:      ...!mcnc!ecsvax!rgn

In article <5069@ecsvax.UUCP> rgn@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Norris) writes:
>In article <30133@aero.ARPA>, abbott@aero.ARPA (Russell J. Abbott) writes:
>> Does anyone have or know of a public domain, free, or cheap proof
>> checker that can be used by undergraduates to write and check simple
>> proofs.  I'm teaching an automata theory and formal languages course,
>
>[ requirements deleted ]
>
>I would also be interested in a proof checker for possible use in
>an Intro. to Theoretical Computer Science course.

Maybe this didn't get posted the first time?

dipert@cs.buffalo.edu
dipert@sunybcs.bitnet