[comp.ai] Acting irrationally

krulwich-bruce@CS.YALE.EDU (Bruce Krulwich) (05/10/88)

In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
>
>Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
>to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
>deprivation of life-affirming resources?

This can be explained easily in light of AI theories of the roles of
expectations in cognition and learning.  Your example could be
explained as follows:

    1.  Yelling at and hitting a person because of something he's done
	is irrational
    2.  People have the expectation that other people act rationally
    3.  When someone yells at you, it triggers a failure of this
	expectation
    4.  So, the person being yelled at or hit tries to explain this
	expectation failure, hopefully concluding that he did
	something that the other person feels strongly about
    5.  Thus he learns that the other person feels strongly about
	something, which most of the time is the goal that the yeller
	or hitter had in the first place

Bruce Krulwich

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/11/88)

I appreciated Bruce Krulwich's analysis of the cognitive chain
initiated by a yelling/hitting episode.  The fifth (and last)
link in the chain of reasoning, is that the target of the verbal
abuse draws a conclusion about the abuser:

>    5.  Thus he learns that the other person feels strongly about
>        something, which most of the time is the goal that the yeller
>        or hitter had in the first place

Wouldn't it have been easier if the yeller had simply disclosed his/her
value system in the first place?  Or do I have an unrealistic expectation
that the yeller is in fact able to articulate his/her value system to an
inquiring mind?

--Barry Kort

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (05/12/88)

In article <31570@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>I appreciated Bruce Krulwich's analysis of the cognitive chain
>initiated by a yelling/hitting episode.  The fifth (and last)
>link in the chain of reasoning, is that the target of the verbal
>abuse draws a conclusion about the abuser:
>
>>    5.  Thus he learns that the other person feels strongly about
>>        something, which most of the time is the goal that the yeller
>>        or hitter had in the first place
>
>Wouldn't it have been easier if the yeller had simply disclosed his/her
>value system in the first place?  Or do I have an unrealistic expectation
>that the yeller is in fact able to articulate his/her value system to an
>inquiring mind?

As long as the agents we are talking about are "all-too-human" (as Nietzsche
put it), your expectation is quite unrealistic.  I think you are overlooking
how great an extent we rely on implict assumptions in any intercourse.  If
we had to articulate everything explicitly, we would probably never get around
to discussing what we really wanted to discuss.  The problem comes in deciding
WHAT needs to be explicitly articulated and what can be left in the "implicit
background."  That is a problem which we, as humans, seem to deal with rather
poorly, which is why there is so much yeeling and hitting in the world.

tomh@proxftl.UUCP (Tom Holroyd) (05/17/88)

In article <5499@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:

> I think you are overlooking how great an extent we rely on implict
> assumptions in any intercourse.  If we had to articulate everything
> explicitly, we would probably never get around to discussing what we
> really wanted to discuss.

True communication can only occur when both parties understand what all
the symbols used to communicate mean.  This doesn't mean you have to
explicitly define what you mean by "tree" every time you use the word
tree, but it's a good idea to define it once, especially if it's something
more complex than "tree" (with due respect to all sentient hardwood).

>The problem comes in deciding WHAT needs to be explicitly articulated
>and what can be left in the "implicit background." That is a problem
>which we, as humans, seem to deal with rather poorly, which is why
>there is so much yeeling and hitting in the world.

Here's a simple rule: explicitly articulate everything, at least once.

The problem, as I see it, is that there are a lot of people who, for
one reason or another, keep some information secret (perhaps the
information isn't known).

A truly reasoning being doesn't hesitate to ask, either, if something
hasn't been explicitly articulated, and it is necessary for continuing
discussion.

Tom Holroyd
UUCP: {uunet,codas}!novavax!proxftl!tomh

The white knight is talking backwards.

nau@frabjous (Dana Nau) (05/18/88)

In article <180@proxftl.UUCP> tomh@proxftl.UUCP (Tom Holroyd) writes:
>True communication can only occur when both parties understand what all
>the symbols used to communicate mean.  This doesn't mean you have to
>explicitly define what you mean by "tree" every time you use the word
>tree, but it's a good idea to define it once, especially if it's something
>more complex than "tree" (with due respect to all sentient hardwood).

There's an obvious problem with this:  since your definitions are themselves
formulated symbolically, you can't define *everything* without running into
circularities.  This is why mathematical axiomatic systems always contain
some terms that are explicitly left undefined.

As an amusing example of the problems that arise with trying to define
everything, I had a math prof about 10 years ago who pointed out that the
dictionary definition of "didapper" is "a dabchick or other small grebe."
Perhaps you all know what a dabchick or a grebe is, but none of us did.

Dana S. Nau				ARPA & CSNet:  nau@mimsy.umd.edu
Computer Sci. Dept., U. of Maryland	UUCP:  ...!{allegra,uunet}!mimsy!nau
College Park, MD 20742			Telephone:  (301) 454-7932

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/19/88)

In article <180@proxftl.UUCP> tomh@proxftl.UUCP (Tom Holroyd) writes:
>Here's a simple rule: explicitly articulate everything, at least once.
Sorry, I didn't quite get that :-)

>A truly reasoning being doesn't hesitate to ask, either, if something
>hasn't been explicitly articulated, and it is necessary for continuing
>discussion.
Read Irvine Goffman's "The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life" and
you'll find that we do not correspond to your "truly reasoning being".
We let all sorts of ambiguities and incompleteness drop, indeed it's
rude not to, as well as displaying a lack of empathy, insight, intuition
and considerateness.  Sometimes, you should ask, but certainly not
always, unless your a natural language front-end, then I insist :-)

This idealisation is riddled with assumptions about meaning which I
leave your AI programs to divine :-)  Needless to say, this approach
to meaning results in infinite regresses and closures imposed by
contingency rather than a mathematical closure
                                    n+1              n
			information    = information

where n is the number of clarifying exchanges between the tedious pedant
(TP) and the unwilling lexicographer (UL).  i.e there exists an n such that
UL abuses TP, TP senses annoyance in UL, TP gives up, UL gives up, TP
agrees to leave it until tomorrow, or  ...

TP and UL have a wee spot of social negotiation and agree on the meaning
(i.e. UL hits TP really hard)
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

		The proper object of the study of Mankind is Man, not machines

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/19/88)

The discussion seems to be turning to the shortcomings of human-human
communication.  It might by helpful to review some estimates of the
human information processing capacity.

It is estimated that the human mind accumulates and retains over
a lifetime enough information to fill 50,000 volumes.  That's quite
a library.  The human input/output channel operates at about 300 bits
per second (30 characters per second).  Exchanging personal knowledge
bases is a time-consuming operation.  We are destined to remain unaware
of vast portions of our civilization's collective information base.

Much of what we know is not easily reduced to language.  That which
cannot be described in words may have to be demonstrated in action.
Some people speak of secret knowledge or private language.  I don't
think there is anything nefarious here.  If I attempted to express
every notion that crossed my mind, I would surely drive people nuts.

--Barry Kort

bryan@trsvax.UUCP (05/20/88)

/* ---------- "Re: Acting irrationally (was Re: Fr" ---------- */

In article <5499@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>> I think you are overlooking how great an extent we rely on implict
>> assumptions in any intercourse.  If we had to articulate everything
>> explicitly, we would probably never get around to discussing what we
>> really wanted to discuss.

/* Written  9:44 am  May 17, 1988 by proxftl.UUCP!tomh (Tom Holroyd)

> Here's a simple rule: explicitly articulate everything, at least once.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^!!

That's the rub, "everything" includes every association you've ever had with
hearing or using every word, including all the events you've forgotten about
but which influence the "meaning" any particular word has for you, especially
the early ones while you were acquiring a vocabulary.

You seem to have some rather naive ideals about the meanings of words.

> A truly reasoning being doesn't hesitate to ask, either, if something
> hasn't been explicitly articulated, and it is necessary for continuing
> discussion.

A truly reasoning being often thinks that things WERE explicitly articulated
to a sufficient degree, given that both parties are using the same language.

------------------

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
						- Nietzsche

...ihnp4!convex!ctvax!trsvax!bryan	(Bryan Helm)

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (05/23/88)

In article <180@proxftl.UUCP> tomh@proxftl.UUCP (Tom Holroyd) writes:
>In article <5499@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar)
>writes:
>
>> I think you are overlooking how great an extent we rely on implict
>> assumptions in any intercourse.  If we had to articulate everything
>> explicitly, we would probably never get around to discussing what we
>> really wanted to discuss.
>
>>The problem comes in deciding WHAT needs to be explicitly articulated
>>and what can be left in the "implicit background." That is a problem
>>which we, as humans, seem to deal with rather poorly, which is why
>>there is so much yeeling and hitting in the world.
>
>Here's a simple rule: explicitly articulate everything, at least once.
>
>The problem, as I see it, is that there are a lot of people who, for
>one reason or another, keep some information secret (perhaps the
>information isn't known).

No, the problem is that there is always TOO MUCH information to be explicitly
articulated over any real-time channel of human communication.  If you don't
believe me, try explicitly articulating the entire content of your last
message.

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/23/88)

In article <32403@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Kort) writes:
>We are destined to remain unaware of vast portions of our civilization's
>collective information base.
And so therefore are computers!  Still want to get mind on silicon?
Only if it's information free?  Anyone remember GPS? Can you get
anything on without requiring some knowledge (remember expert systems?)

A computer will be beyond programming whereever its input bandwidth is
substantially narrower than ours.  It will just take far too long to
get the knowledge base in, except for small well-defined areas of
technical knowledge with a high pay off (e.g. Prospector, genetic
engineering advisors).  Thus the potential of AI is obviously limited
even ignoring formalisation problems related to the large area of
non-technical knowledge which underlies most social interaction outside
of high-tech. work.
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

	     The proper object of the study of humanity is humans, not machines