[comp.ai] Self Simulation

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/31/88)

Drew McDermott's lengthy posting included a curious nugget.  Drew
paints a scenario in which a robot engages in a simulation which
includes the robot itself as a causal agent in the simulation.  Drew
asks, "What on earth could it mean for a system to figure out what
it's doing by simulating itself?"

I was captured by the notion of self-simulation, and started day-dreaming,
imagining myself as an actor inside a simulation.  I found that, as the
director of the day-dream, I had to delegate free will to my simulated
self.  The movie free-runs, sans script.  It was just like being asleep.

So, perhaps a robot who engages in self-simulation is merely dreaming
about itself.  That's not so hard.  I do it all the time.

--Barry Kort

caasi@sdsu.UUCP (06/02/88)

In article <33245@linus.UUCP> writes:
>I was captured by the notion of self-simulation, and started day-dreaming,
>imagining myself as an actor inside a simulation.  I found that, as the
>director of the day-dream, I had to delegate free will to my simulated
>self.  The movie free-runs, sans script.  It was just like being asleep.
>
>So, perhaps a robot who engages in self-simulation is merely dreaming
>about itself.  That's not so hard.  I do it all the time.
>
>--Barry Kort

Wasn't it Chuang-Tzu who wrote:  Once I dreamt I was a butterfly.
After I awoke, I didn't know if I was a man dreaming about being
a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming about being a man.