[comp.ai] Wanted, information on inductive expert system tools.

marlies@dnlunx.UUCP (Steenbergen M.E.van) (05/31/88)

Hello,

I am new to USENET. I am engaged in artificial intelligence research. At the
moment I am investigating the possibilities of inductive expert systems. In
the literature I have encountered the names of a number of (supposedly)
inductive expert system building tools: Logian, RuleMaster, KDS, TIMM,
Expert-Ease, Expert-Edge, VP-Expert. I would like to have more information
about these tools (articles about them or the names of dealers in Holland). I
would be very grateful to everyone sending me any information about these or
other inductive tools. Remarks of people who have worked with inductive expert
systems are also very welcome. Thanks!

Marlies

          ..!mcvax!dnlunx!marlies

alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) (06/07/88)

In article <402@dnlunx.UUCP> marlies@dnlunx.UUCP (Steenbergen M.E.van) writes:

>                  . I am engaged in artificial intelligence research. At the
>moment I am investigating the possibilities of inductive expert systems. In
>the literature I have encountered the names of a number of (supposedly)
>inductive expert system building tools: Logian, RuleMaster, KDS, TIMM,
>Expert-Ease, Expert-Edge, VP-Expert. I would like to have more information
>about these tools (articles about them or the names of dealers in Holland). I
>would be very grateful to everyone sending me any information about these or
>other inductive tools. Remarks of people who have worked with inductive expert
>systems are also very welcome. Thanks!

There are basically 2 types of inductive systems

a) those that build an internal model by example (and classify future
   examples against that model) and
b) those that generate some kind of rule which, when run, will classify
   future examples

a) includes perceptron-like systems and more recently neural-net technology
   as well as some of the work my company does that is NOT neural-net based)
b) may be split into 2 camps; 1) systems that produce a single decision tree
   for all decision classes (e.g. Quinlan's ID3 upon which RuleMaster,
   Expert-Ease, Ex-Tran, Superexpert, First Class and more are based);
   2) systems that produce a decision for each class-value (e.g. Michalski's
   AQ11).

I do not include those systems that are not able to generalise in either
a or b since strictly they are not inductive!!

I don't know about dealers in Holland but ITL at George House, 36 N. Hanover
St., Glasgow Scotland G1 2AD (U.K.) are experts in producing REAL expert
systems that are inductively derived. The Turing Institute (same address)
are also well known in this regard.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

DISCLAIMER: I work for a company delivering inductively derived expert systems
into the real world doing real work and saving real money. I can be counted
on to be very biased!!

	....!{seismo,esosun,suntan}!cogen!alen