[comp.ai] I'm in direct contact with many advanced fun CONCEPTS.

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (thatsDOCTORtoyoubuddy) (06/11/88)

In article <539@novavax.UUCP>, maddoxt@novavax (Thomas Maddox) writes:
>In article <514@dcl-csvax.comp.lancs.ac.uk> simon@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Simon Brooke) writes [. . .]:
>>Wells, like fanatical adherents of other ideologies before him, first
>>hurls abuse at his opponents, and finally, defeated, closes his ears. I
>>note that he is in industry and not an academic; nevertheless he is
>>posting into the ai news group, and must therefore be considered part of
>>the American AI community. I haven't visited the States; I wonder if
>>someone could tell me whether this extraordinary combination of ignorance
>>and arrogance is frequently encountered in American intellectual life?

Why do you say that?

>	I would say that any combination of ignorance and arrogance is
>no more frequently encountered in American life than in British.

Is it because any combination of ignorance and arrogance is no more
frequently encountered in american life than in british that you came to
me?

>Consider, for instance, your own posting--ending as it does in a
>gratuitous insult to American intellectual life in toto--as well as the
>umpteen postings of Cockton's--virtually all charcterized by arrogant
>dismissal of AI--that provoked Mr. Wells.

Does it bother you that provoked mr wells?

>	Rude conjecture:  "Gilbert Cockton"'s postings are in fact
>output from a rather silly AI program (probably out of MIT) called DREYFUS;
>it is a logical successor to ELIZA and also its own best critique.

Eliza?  Hah!  I would appreciate it if you would continue.

>It
>remains to be seen whether "Simon Brooke" is one of its sub-programs.

Earlier you said any combination of ignorance and arrogance is no more
frequently encountered in american life than in british?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720