[comp.ai] Free Will & Self Awareness

jadwa@henry.cs.reading.ac.uk (James Anderson) (05/03/88)

In article 1380 of comp.ai: bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W.
Kort) says:

> Suppose I were able to inculcate a Value System into silicon.
> And in the event of a tie among competing choices, I use a
> random mechanism to force a decision.  Would the behavior of
> my system be very much different from a sentient being with
> free will?

Well ...

I take, "free will" to mean that an agent can choose what action
to take despite the choices that other agents might make and
despite unchosen events in the world.

There are a number of corollaries to this definition.

1)  I am a strong minded person, so I often exercise free will,
    but you can deny me free will, say, by killing me.

2a) You might exercise your free will by making an oath with
    yourself never to deny me free will, say, by never applying
    irresistible force to me.

2b) Making an oath does not deny your own free will. You can
    chose to break the oath.

3a) Random events in the choice mechanism deny free will to the
    extent that they prevent the agent from determining the
    outcome of a decision.

3b) I know of no way to discover, by observing the behaviour of an
    agent, that exception (3a) applies to it. So the answer to
    your question is "yes": I can not tell apart the behaviour of
    a random system and one with free will. A free-will system
    could, for example, chose to behave randomly.

4) An event which is not of any agents choosing might deny me
   free will. The event may be random, as in losing a game of
   Russian roulette, or deterministic, like being being drowned
   in a rising tide.

So far, so good. But here comes the free will paradox, with knobs
on!

If the world is deterministic I am denied free will because I can
not determine the outcome of a decision. On the other hand, if
the world is random, I am denied free will because I can not
determine the outcome of a decision. Either element, determinancy
or randomness, denies me free will, so no mixture of a
deterministic world or a non-deterministic world will allow me
free will.

I am going to think about that for a little while before I post
again.

James

(JANET) James.Anderson@reading.ac.uk

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (vu0112) (05/05/88)

In article <770@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk> jadwa@henry.cs.reading.ac.uk (James Anderson) writes:
>3a) Random events in the choice mechanism deny free will to the
>    extent that they prevent the agent from determining the
>    outcome of a decision.

Interesting.  So you understand freedom to be the ability for me to
determine my own actions, as opposed to them being determined by
external sources.  Thus you're defining freedom in terms of a different
kind of determinism, a stance which seems problematic.

Why not instead freedom as simply the *lack* of *complete* external
control?  This way you allow *degrees of freedom*.  That is, I am free
if I am not determined.  This in no ways implies that I in turn must
determine something else.

This also helps us sort out the difference between subjective and
objective uncertainty (freedom).  Objective freedom is understood as the
(e.g.  quantum) inherent uncertainty in processes, whereas subjective
uncertainty is the premise that I lack information about a possibly
determinate process.  On my definition, both conditions indicate freedom
to me, but to you in the latter case we are still determined.

>So far, so good. But here comes the free will paradox, with knobs
>on!

I think my definition knocks your knobs off.

>If the world is deterministic I am denied free will because I can
>not determine the outcome of a decision.

For me, if the world is deterministic I am granted freedom when I cannot
determine the outcome of a decision.

>On the other hand, if
>the world is random, I am denied free will because I can not
>determine the outcome of a decision.

Yes, no matter if the world is determined or not, I can never determine
the outcome of a decision.  This is an inherent epistemic limitation,
independent of the state of the world.

I think that's obviously correct.  Further, by showing us that
determinism is impossible, I think you've just demonstrated that freedom
is necessary.

>I am going to think about that for a little while before I post
>again.

What I find fascinating is the implicit assumption that determinism is
the "normal" general case, and that freedom is come kind of strange
property rarely seen.  I think that just the opposite is true, that
deterministic processes of any kind are very rare.  Demonstrating the
freedom of *any* organism, let alone humans, is trivial.  Demonstrating
our determinism is a silly philosophical waste of time.

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

sher@sunybcs (David Sher) (05/05/88)

It seems that people are discussing free will and determinism by
trying to distinguish true free will from random behavior.  There is a
fundamental problem with this topic.  Randomness itself is not well
understood.  If you could get a good definition of random behavior you
may have a better handle on free will.

Consider this definition of random behavior:
X is random iff its value is unknown.

This is I believe a valid definition of randomness.  But in this case
free will may be a subset of random behaviors.  Other more
sophisticated definitions may be proposed for randomness.

On a similar note to decide if we can allow machines to take
responsibility (which seems to be bothering our english contingent), we
must decide just what responsibility is.  We already entrust machines
with our lives and have for thousands of years (since we invented
boats).
-David Sher
ARPA: sher@cs.buffalo.edu	BITNET: sher@sunybcs
UUCP: {rutgers,ames,boulder,decvax}!sunybcs!sher

jeff@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (05/06/88)

In article <770@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk> jadwa@henry.cs.reading.ac.uk (James Anderson) writes:
>If the world is deterministic I am denied free will because I can
>not determine the outcome of a decision. On the other hand, if
>the world is random, I am denied free will because I can not
>determine the outcome of a decision. Either element, determinancy
>or randomness, denies me free will, so no mixture of a
>deterministic world or a non-deterministic world will allow me
>free will.

Just so.  Having one's actions determined randomly isn't much help.

One of the problems with discussing free will here is that it's too
easy to simply rehash arguments that have been handled in the
philosophical literature.  I thought it best to make this point
not claiming that no one ever says anything valuable or that I am
some kind of expert in these matters with no time to listen to the
rest of you.

Nonetheless, anyone who is seriously interested in such topics should
be willing to do some reading.  I would recommend Dennet's Elbow Room:
The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting for its discussion of free
will, for its relevance to AI, and for the interesting things that
come up along the way.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: J.Dalton@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  J.Dalton%uk.ac.ed@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/06/88)

I was intrigued by David Sher's comments about "machine responsibility".

It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.

Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
deprivation of life-affirming resources?

--Barry Kort

lloyd@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Lloyd Greenwald) (05/06/88)

In article <10942@sunybcs.UUCP> sher@wolf.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>It seems that people are discussing free will and determinism by
>trying to distinguish true free will from random behavior.  There is a
>fundamental problem with this topic.  Randomness itself is not well
>understood.  If you could get a good definition of random behavior you
>may have a better handle on free will.

This is a good point.  It seems that some people are associating free will
closely with randomness.  To me true randomness is as difficult to comprehend
as true free will.  We can't demonstrate true randomness in present day
computers; the closest we can come (to my knowledge) is to generate a string
of numbers which does not repeat itself.  Can anyone give us a better view
of randomness then this?  I've heard some mention of true randomness at the
quantum level.  Does anyone have any information on this?  Given that current
theories of free will tie it so closely to randomness, it seems necessary to
get a handle on true randomness.

			Lloyd Greenwald
			lloyd@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (05/07/88)

In article <4543@super.upenn.edu> lloyd@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Lloyd Greenwald) writes:
>This is a good point.  It seems that some people are associating free will
>closely with randomness.

Yes, I do so.  I think this is a necessary definition.

Consider the concept of Freedom in the most general sense.  It is
opposed by the concept of Determinism.  We can say of anything, either
it is absolutely determined (it will always do one thing and only one
thing), or it is somwhat free (sometimes it will do one thing, other
times another).  This is so whether we talk of molecules in a box or the
actions of an organism.

>To me true randomness is as difficult to comprehend
>as true free will.

I agree.  That's because both psychological free will and randomness are
cases of my general sense of Freedom.  Freedom is a very difficult
things to understand.

>We can't demonstrate true randomness in present day
>computers;

von Neumann machines are highly Determined systems.  They posess so
little Freedom that it is essentially null.  This is what they have been
designed to do.  However, it is easy to demonstrate that von Neumann
machines are slightly free.  Consider the distribution of bit errors in
a cpu or RAM, or of read errors on a disk drive.  These are random
events.  To that extent the computer is Free.  This is not especially
useful or interesting Freedom, nevertheless it is there.

>the closest we can come (to my knowledge) is to generate a string
>of numbers which does not repeat itself.

This is not possible in a von Neumann machine.

>I've heard some mention of true randomness at the
>quantum level.

See recent (last two years) articles in _Scientific American_ concerning
hidden variables theories in QM.  As I described in a brevious article,
we can think of two cases of randomness, subjective and objective.
Subjective randomness is usually equated with ignorance.  For example,
in Newtonian physics if I had sufficient information about initial
conditions I could predict the roll of a die.  Objective randomness is
your "true", or irreducible, or inherent, or unavoidable randomness.

There has been a great debate as to whether quantum uncertainty was
subjective or objective.  The subjectivists espoused "hidden variables"
theories (i.e.: there are determining factors going on, we just don't
know them yet, the variables are hidden).  These theories can be tested.
Recently they have been shown to be false.

>Given that current
>theories of free will tie it so closely to randomness, it seems necessary to
>get a handle on true randomness.

In my mind, the critical thing to understand about Freedom is that
Freedom is always relative; Determinism is always absolute.

What I mean is that when we talk about something being Free, we can
always talk about degrees of freedom.  A six sided die is more Free than
a four sided, a twelve than a six.  Or consider a probability
distribution: it's Freedom is generally measured by it's entropy, which
takes values in the interval [ 0, inf ).  In order for the
distribution to reach the infinite limit, it must be uniformly
distributed over the whole positive real interval.  This distribution is
not well defined.

In other words, we know what it means for something to be completely
Determined.  I submit that it is not possible for somethings to be
completely Free.  Absolute Freedom is an infinite limit; absolute
determinism is a zero limit.

This is obviously true in the realm of human affairs as well.  It is
easy for me to completely determine your actions: put you in a Skinner
box, or straight jacket, or just kill you.  And while I espouse Free
Will, I do so only in this relative way.  In no way can you tell me that
you are absolutely free: drug delusions, dreams, illness, epilepsy, all
kinds of physical/biological factors come into play which somewhat limit
the Freedom of your mind.

--

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/07/88)

James Anderson writes:

>If the world is deterministic I am denied free will because I can
>not determine the outcome of a decision. On the other hand, if
>the world is random, I am denied free will because I can not
>determine the outcome of a decision. Either element, determinancy
>or randomness, denies me free will, so no mixture of a
>deterministic world or a non-deterministic world will allow me
>free will.

It is not clear to me that a mixture of determinism and randomness
could not jointly create free will.

A Thermostat with no Furnace cannot control the room temperature.
A Furnace with no Thermostat cannot control the room temperature.
But join the two in a feedback loop, and together they give rise
to an emergent property: the ability to control the room temperature
to a desired value, notwithstanding unpredicted changes in the outside
weather.

Similarly, could it not be the case that Free Will emerges from
a balanced mixture of determinism (which permits us to predict the
likely outcome of our choices) and freedom (which allows us to
make arbitrary choices)?  Just as the Furnace+Thermostat can drive
the room temperature to a desired value, Cause+Chance gives us
the power to drive the future state-of-affairs toward a desired
goal.

If you buy this line of reasoning, then perhaps we can get on to
the next level, which is: How do we select goal states which we
imagine to be desirable?

--Barry Kort

baba@calvin.uucp (Duane Hentrich) (05/07/88)

In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.

Have you not bashed or kicked a vending machine until it gave up the
junk food you paid for.  It is my experience that swatting a non-solid
state TV tuner sometimes results in clearing up the picture.  Indeed we
do "punish" our machines.

Sometimes with results which clearly outweigh the damage done by
such punishment.

>Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
>to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
>deprivation of life-affirming resources?

For the same reason that the Enter/Carriage Return key on many keyboards
is hit repeatedly and with great force, i.e. frustration with an
inefficient/ineffective interface which doesn't produce the desired results.

No value judgements re results or punishments here.

If this doesn't belong here, please forgive.

d'baba Duane Hentrich		...!hplabs!oliveb!tymix!baba

Claimer: These are only opinions since everything I know is wrong.
Copyright notice: If you're going to copy it, copy it right.

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/07/88)

In article <10942@sunybcs.UUCP>, sher@sunybcs (David Sher) writes:
> It seems that people are discussing free will and determinism by
> trying to distinguish true free will from random behavior.  There is a
> fundamental problem with this topic.  Randomness itself is not well
> understood.  If you could get a good definition of random behavior you
> may have a better handle on free will.

In particular, consider the difference between _random_ behaviour
and _chaotic_ behaviour.  A phsyical system may be completely described
by simple deterministic laws and yet be unpredictable in principle
(unpredictable by bounded computational mechanisms, that is).
[Pseudo-random numbers are really pseudo-chaotic.]

> Consider this definition of random behavior:
> X is random iff its value is unknown.

I do not known David Sher's telephone number, but I do not find it useful
to regard it as random (nor as chaotic).  Conversely, when listening to a
Geiger counter, I am quite sure whether or not I have heard a click, but
I believe that the clicks are random events.

In article <1179@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
> In article <4543@super.upenn.edu> lloyd@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Lloyd Greenwald) writes:
> >This is a good point.  It seems that some people are associating free will
> >closely with randomness.
>
> Yes, I do so.  I think this is a necessary definition.
>
> Consider the concept of Freedom in the most general sense.  It is
> opposed by the concept of Determinism.

For what it is worth, my "feeling" of "free will" is strongest when I
act in accord with my own character / value system &c. That is, when I
act in a relatively predictable way.  There is a strong philosophical
and theological tradition of regarding free will and some sort of
determinism as compatible.  If I find myself acting in "random" or
unpredictable ways, I look for causes outside myself ("oh, I brought the
wrong book because someone has shuffled the books on my shelf").
Randomness is *NOT* freedom, it is the antithesis of freedom.
If something else controls my behaviour, the randomness of the
something else cannot make _me_ free.

I suppose the philosophical position I can accept most readily is the
one which identifies "free will" with being SELF-determined.  That is,
an agent possesses free will to the extent that its actions are
explicable in terms of the agent's own beliefs and values.
For example, I give money to beggars.  This is not at all random; it is
quite predictable.  But I don't do it because someone else makes me do it,
but because my own values and beliefs make it appropriate to do so.
A perfectly good person, someone who always does the morally appropriate
thing because that's what he likes best, might well be both predictable
and as free as it is possible for a human being to be.

> There has been a great debate as to whether quantum uncertainty was
> subjective or objective.  The subjectivists espoused "hidden variables"
> theories (i.e.: there are determining factors going on, we just don't
> know them yet, the variables are hidden).  These theories can be tested.
> Recently they have been shown to be false.

Hidden variables theories are not "subjectivist" in the usual meaning of
the term; they ascribe quantum uncertainty to objective physical processes.
They haven't been shown false.  It has been shown that **LOCAL** hidden
variables theories are not consistent with observation, but NON-local
theories (I believe there are at least two current) have not been falsified.

In article <940@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <1179@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>> In article <4543@super.upenn.edu> lloyd@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Lloyd Greenwald) writes:
>> >This is a good point.  It seems that some people are associating free will
>> >closely with randomness.
>>
>> Yes, I do so.  I think this is a necessary definition.
>>
>> Consider the concept of Freedom in the most general sense.  It is
>> opposed by the concept of Determinism.
>
>For what it is worth, my "feeling" of "free will" is strongest when I
>act in accord with my own character / value system &c. That is, when I
>act in a relatively predictable way.

Yes, it is more complicated, isn't it? What if, instead of having a
"value system", you were rather in the grip of some hideous, controlling
"ideology." Let's say you're Ronald Raegan, or Botha, or Gorbachev.  I
wouldn't want to deny them free will, but would say that their
ideologies are highly determining (at least on political issues).  On
the other hand, let's say that I am an intelligent, impressionable child
in an "ideas bazarre," say a super-progressive, highly integrated school
in New York.  Then my value system will be in constant flux.

Also, don't confuse predictibility with determinism.  There are degrees
of predictibility.  If I know the distribution of a random variable, I
can make some degree of prediction.

>Randomness is *NOT* freedom, it is the antithesis of freedom.
>If something else controls my behaviour, the randomness of the
>something else cannot make _me_ free.

Yes, it is critical to keep the levels of analysis clear.  If something
external *determines* your behavior (for example, a value system), then
your behavior is *determined* no matter what.  The *cause* of your
behavior being free in no way implies you are free.  But we aren't
talking about something controlling you, we are talking about whether
you are controlled.  My assertion is that if you are completely
controlled, then you cannot act randomly.  If you are free, than you
can.

Try this: freedom implies the possibility of randomness, not its
necessity?

>That is,
>an agent possesses free will to the extent that its actions are
>explicable in terms of the agent's own beliefs and values.
>For example, I give money to beggars.  This is not at all random; it is
>quite predictable.  But I don't do it because someone else makes me do it,
>but because my own values and beliefs make it appropriate to do so.

In order for something to be not at all random, it must not just be
quite predictible, but rather completely predictible.  To that extent,
it is determined.

Again, we're talking at different levels (probably a
subjective/objective problem).  Let's try this: if you are free, that
means it is possible for you to make a choice.  That is, you are free to
scrap your value system.  At each choice you make, there is a small
chance that you will do something different, something unpredictible
given your past behavior/current value system.  If, on the other hand,
you *always* adhere to that value system, then from my perspective, that
value system (as an *external cause*) is determining your behavior, and
you are not free.  The problem here may be one of observation: if a coin
"chooses" to come up heads each time, I will say that it's necessary
that it does, as an inductive inference.

There's a lot of issues here.  I don't either of us have thought through
it very clearly.

>A perfectly good person, someone who always does the morally appropriate
>thing because that's what he likes best, might well be both predictable
>and as free as it is possible for a human being to be.

He is not free so long as it is not possible for him to act imorally.  I
say it is then impossible to distinguish between someone who is free to
act imorally, and chooses not to, and someone who is determined to act
morally.

>It has been shown that **LOCAL** hidden
>variables theories are not consistent with observation, but NON-local
>theories (I believe there are at least two current) have not been falsified.

Thanks for the clarification.

--

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (05/08/88)

In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:

>It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
>
>Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
>to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
>deprivation of life-affirming resources?

This discussion seems to be drifting from the issue of intelligence to that
of aggression.  I do not know whether or not such theses have gone out of
fashion, but I still subscribe to the hypothesis that aggression is "natural"
to almost all animal life forms, including man.  Is your adult self so
rational and mature that you have not so much as banged your fist on the
table when your software does something which particularly frustrates you
(or do you feel that adults also transcend frustration)?

doug@feedme.UUCP (Doug Salot) (05/09/88)

In article <1179@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> Cliff Joslyn writes:
>In article <4543@super.upenn.edu> Lloyd Greenwald writes:
>>This is a good point.  It seems that some people are associating free will
>>closely with randomness.
>
>Yes, I do so.  I think this is a necessary definition.
>
>[good points about QM vs Classical vs Ignorance as views of Freedom deleted]

I don't believe randomness (in the quantum mechanical sense) is important
to a sense of free will.  The illusion of free will is what's important,
and when dealing with a computing machine (the brain) which makes state
changes on the time order of milliseconds, it is simply impossible for
that machine, self-aware or not, to view its state changes as
deterministic when its state changes are based on finer-grained state
changes that occur at or near the speed of light.  It seems to me
that it would be straight-forward to give a computer program with
the ability to monitor its *behavior* without giving it the ability to
find causal relations between its holistic state and its behavior.

--
Doug Salot || doug@feedme.UUCP || {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!feedme!doug
Feedme Microsystems:Inventors of the Snarf->Grok->Munge Development Cycle

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/09/88)

In article <1182@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
> Again, we're talking at different levels (probably a
> subjective/objective problem).  Let's try this: if you are free, that
> means it is possible for you to make a choice.  That is, you are free to
> scrap your value system.  At each choice you make, there is a small
> chance that you will do something different, something unpredictible
> given your past behavior/current value system.  If, on the other hand,
> you *always* adhere to that value system, then from my perspective, that
> value system (as an *external cause*) is determining your behavior, and
> you are not free.

I'm not sure that there is any point in continuing this, our basic
presuppositions seem to be so alien.

Orthodox Christianity holds that
    - God is able to do anything that is doable
    - God is not constrained by anything other than His own nature
    - it is impossible for God to sin
From my perspective, such a God is maximally free.
From Chris Joslyn's perspective, such a God is minimally free.

I think the problem lies in my disagreement with Joslyn's definition
quoted above.  He defines freedom as the ability to make choices, and
seems to regard unmotivated (random) ``choices'' as the freest kind.
I also take exception with his view that a value system is an
external cause.  My "value system" is as much a part of me as my
memories.  Or are my memories to be regarded as an external cause too?

Note that behaving consistently according to a particular value system
does not mean that said value system is immune from revision.  There
are some interesting logical problems involved:  in order to move
_rationally_ from one state of your value system to another, you have
to believe that the new state is _better_, which is to say that your
existing value system has to endorse the new one.  I would regard
"scrapping" one's value system as irrational (and it is not clear to
me that it is possible far a human being to do it), and if being able
to do it is freedom, that's not a kind of freedom worth having.

My objection to randomness as a significant component of freedom is
that a random act is not an act that **I** have *willed*.  If I were to
randomly put my fist through this screen, it wouldn't be _my_ act any
more than Chris Joslyn's or J.S.Bach's.  It is sheer good luck if a
random act happens to be in accord with my wishes.  Unfortunately, we
have living proof that randomness as such is not freedom: consider the
people who suffer from Tourette's syndrome.

It might be objected that behaving in a way consistent with one's goals,
beliefs, and wishes is too much like behaving in a way consistent with a
program to be counted as freedom.  It would be, if we were not capable
of revising said goals and beliefs.  To be free, you have to _check_ your
beliefs.

I propose as a tentative definition that a robot can be said to possess
free will provided that its actions are in accord with its own mental
models and provided that it has sufficient learning capacity to be able
to almost wholly replace the mental models it is initially provided with.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/09/88)

I was doing fine reading Cliff's rejoinder to Lloyd's comments until
I came to this part:

>>We can't demonstrate true randomness in present day computers;
>>the closest we can come (to my knowledge) is to generate a string
>>of numbers which does not repeat itself. [Lloyd]

>This is not possible in a von Neumann machine. [Cliff]

I was under the impression that a simple recursion (or not-so-simple
if one is a fan of Ramanujan) can emit the digits of pi (or e or
SQRT(2)) and that such a string does not repeat itself.

I think what Cliff meant is that a von Neumann machine cannot emit
a string whose structure cannot be divined.

If I wanted to give my von Neumann machine a *true* random number
generator, I would connect it to an A/D converter driven by thermal
noise (i.e. a toasty resister).

--Barry Kort

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (05/09/88)

In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
>
>Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
>to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
>deprivation of life-affirming resources?

Pray tell, how do you repair, or redesign
a human?  Is "Clockwork Orange" the model we want to strive for?
If you had a machine which was running amok, and you did not know
how to repair it or redesign it, would not destroying it or isolating
it from the objects of its aggression be a prudent course?  Punishment
can serve to "redesign" the human machine.  If you have children, you
will probably know this.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work with everyone.

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (05/10/88)

In article <948@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>I'm not sure that there is any point in continuing this, our basic
>presuppositions seem to be so alien.

All the more reason to keep talking, in my book!

>Orthodox Christianity holds that
>[1]    - God is able to do anything that is doable
>[2]    - God is not constrained by anything other than His own nature
>[3]    - it is impossible for God to sin
>From my perspective, such a God is maximally free.

Hmm.  [1] and [3] seem blatantly inconsistent - surely sinning is
doable? [2] seems to be saying that there are no external causes acting
on God - doesn't this beg the question as to the cause of God's nature?
Perhaps you don't require God to hold to logical argument - I have no
problem with that.  I'm sure you're sensitive to the logical problems in
making arguments about such absolute and self-sufficient entities as
Gods.

>From Chris Joslyn's perspective, such a God is minimally free.
      ^^^^^
      Cliff

>I think the problem lies in my disagreement with Joslyn's definition
>quoted above.

I think the problem is that I'm basically talking from an Objective
perspective: how can I know whether something is free or not? Whereas
you're speaking phenomenologically.

>He defines freedom as the ability to make choices, and

Surely this is the essence of the concept!  What else could you possibly
offer?

Spite is the essence of Freedom.  See, I believe, Kierkegaard.

>seems to regard unmotivated (random) ``choices'' as the freest kind.

*This* may be the real argument - and where you might have me.

>I also take exception with his view that a value system is an
>external cause.

This is also sensitive - the question is: external to what?  To your
body?  Obviously not: your value system is in your mind, which is in
your body, so you're right that it's not external to you as a whole.  On
the other hand, it does seem to be external to your *will* your
*deciding agent*, *that which is making the choice*.  Otherwise, you
would be *compelled* to act in accordance with your value system.  On
the contrary, I say that you *are* free, which means you are *free to
choose* whether or not to adhere to your value system, whether or not to
commit an evil act, say.  Surely this is also traditional theology?

OK, so you are free *not* to adhere to your value system.  On what basis
is this choice made?  Can you tell me?  If you can, then we can recurse
the argument and say: well, then you are also *free* to ignore that
basis.  In the limit, we will arrive at chance.

> in order to move
>_rationally_ from one state of your value system to another, you have
>to believe that the new state is _better_, which is to say that your
>existing value system has to endorse the new one.

I agree.  But notice that you are now offering *rationality* as the
basis for decision making - not free will.  Are you free to act
irrationally?  If not, then you are not free.

>I would regard
>"scrapping" one's value system as irrational (and it is not clear to
>me that it is possible far a human being to do it), and if being able
>to do it is freedom, that's not a kind of freedom worth having.

You're making my argument for me: we're not arguing whether freedom is
*worth having*, but whether you have it!  If, as you suggest, it is
impossible for people to scrap their value systems, then surely we can
say that they are not free to scrap their value systems.  To that
extent, their value systems constrain their freedom, and their values
systems partially determine (that is control) their behavior.

>My objection to randomness as a significant component of freedom is
>that a random act is not an act that **I** have *willed*.

Of course.  But you're getting confused: your will determines your
behavior, true.  What determines your will?

>Unfortunately, we
>have living proof that randomness as such is not freedom: consider the
>people who suffer from Tourette's syndrome.

Yes, but reflexes are not acts of whole people, rather acts of parts of
people. Something in the Tourette's victim's *body* is controlling their
behavior - here the behavior itself is free from mental control, in fact
the mind (and that is what we are arguing about: mental freedom) is not
involved.  That's the problem: they desparately *want* to determine
their behavior.

--

In article <31337@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Kort) writes:
>I was doing fine reading Cliff's rejoinder to Lloyd's comments until
>I came to this part:
>
>>>We can't demonstrate true randomness in present day computers;
>>>the closest we can come (to my knowledge) is to generate a string
>>>of numbers which does not repeat itself. [Lloyd]
>
>>This is not possible in a von Neumann machine. [Cliff]
>
>I was under the impression that a simple recursion (or not-so-simple
>if one is a fan of Ramanujan) can emit the digits of pi (or e or
>SQRT(2)) and that such a string does not repeat itself.
>
>I think what Cliff meant is that a von Neumann machine cannot emit
>a string whose structure cannot be divined.

Hmm, I suppose you're right.  I was thinking of your typical
psuedo-random process whose cycle length was a function of the size of
the seed.

I forget the impact on the argument at this point: it seems it would
rest on the epistemic grounds of determining a truly random string from
a simply chaotic one.  My impressions is that this is not always
possible.

Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/10/88)

Perhaps it would help if I offered a straw proposal for invoking one's
free will in a specific situation.

Assume that I possess a value system which permits me to rank my
personal preferences regarding the likely outcome of the courses
of action open to me.  Suppose, also, that I have a (possibly crude)
estimate of your value system.  If I were myopic (or maybe just stupid)
I would choose my course of action to maximize my payoff without regard
to you.  But my knowledge of your value system creates an interesting
opportunity for me.  I can use my imagination to conceive a course
of action which increases both of our utility functions.  Free will
empowers me to choose a Win-Win alternative.  Without free will, I am
predestined to engage in acts that hurt others.  Since I disvalue hurting
others, I thank God that I am endowed with free will.

Is there a flaw in the above line of reasoning?  If so, I would be
grateful to someone for pointing it out to me.

--Barry Kort

ken@vedge.UUCP (Ken) (05/10/88)

In article <1177@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
(Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>Why not instead (define) freedom as simply the *lack* of *complete* external
>control?

Although this definition intuitively concurs with our every-day notion of
freedom (e.g. free to leave my country), I would question whether it is
meaningful to our discussion of free will.  I am concerned with the term
"external".  In our every-day lives we have a concept of that which comes from
us (e.g. our speech) and that which comes from sources exterior to ourselves
(e.g. a postcard from a friend).  But in the realm of the infinitesimal, the
realm of uncertainty, "mystery"; the place where quantum phenomenon live...
how do we distinguish the "external" from the "internal"?  If the laws which
govern the motion of the partical/waves which compose my brain are external to
me, then are also their individual motions?  If we believe that the physical
brain is wholly responsible for all the goings on in the mind, then are we left
with any "internal" at all?  In short, I question the value of your definition
for its understanding of freedom in terms of "external" control.

float ken();
/* fourth year student of Pure Math/Philosophy at U of Waterloo (Ontario) */

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/11/88)

I appreciated Richard O'Keefe's suggestion that free will is intimately
related to the freedom to learn.  This idea is consistent with the
notion that one cannot create a sentient being without free will.
Moreover, it is evidently unpredictable what a sentient being will
in fact discover and learn in his/her/its lifetime.

--Barry Kort

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/11/88)

Stephen Smoliar seems frustrated at the drift of the discussion.
He writes:

>This discussion seems to be drifting from the issue of intelligence to that
>of aggression.  I do not know whether or not such theses have gone out of
>fashion, but I still subscribe to the hypothesis that aggression is "natural"
>to almost all animal life forms, including man.  Is your adult self so
>rational and mature that you have not so much as banged your fist on the
>table when your software does something which particularly frustrates you
>(or do you feel that adults also transcend frustration)?

It is not clear to me whether aggression is instinctive (wired-in)
behavior or learned behavior.  I think the pschological jury is
still out on this question.  It is certainly true that aggressive
and non-aggressive behaviors can be learned.  (Personally, I feel
that assertive behavior is preferrable to aggressive, and tactful
behavior is preferable to assertive.  But tactful behavior is harder
to learn.)

As to your question about my personal habits when frustrated, I do
not bang my fist on the table.  Rather, I clench my teeth.  And
I do believe it is possible (though difficult) to transcend frustration.

--Barry Kort

fink@mist.UUCP (05/12/88)

     I'm new to this group and would just like to ask,
     IS anything useful ever talk about here, you know,
     like AI?

     Don't reply, I'm 'U'ing out.
     BYe

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/18/88)

In article <1176@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>Punishment can serve to "redesign" the human machine.  If you have children,
>you will probably know this.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work with everyone.
How can an artificial intelligence ever rise above recidivism?  Are
there any serious examples of re-programming systems, i.e. a system
that redesigns itself in response to punishment. Don't generalise
from crude 'learning' systems either, I don't think these would scale up.
That reminds me, what was it the behaviourists said about punishment?

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/19/88)

(Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>>It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
>>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
>>
>>Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
>>to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
>>deprivation of life-affirming resources?
>
>Pray tell, how do you repair, or redesign
>a human?  Is "Clockwork Orange" the model we want to strive for?
>If you had a machine which was running amok, and you did not know
>how to repair it or redesign it, would not destroying it or isolating
>it from the objects of its aggression be a prudent course?  Punishment
>can serve to "redesign" the human machine.  If you have children, you
>will probably know this.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work with everyone.

We don't call it repair, we call it healing.  But your question is a
good one.  Unfortunately, I must confess to a lack of expertise on
the subject.  I am convinced that there is hope for healing the
human spirit, but I feel we have a long way to go before we get
very good at it.

In Clockwork Orange, there was a curious mix of well-intentioned
healers (the psychiatric staff), a doubtful theory (the Ludovico
technique), and some opportunist politicians.  I don't recommend
the Ludovico technique as a model of healing.

It seems to me that destroying something that one does not understand
is not a good policy.  Any agent who destroyed that which he did
not understand could plausibly be classified as an agent who was
"running amok".  By the Symmetry Principle, such an agent is inviting
his own destruction or isolation.  Could it not be that the "acts
of aggression" are really diagnostic messages, which when properly
interpreted, allow us to "repair/redesign/heal" the offending system?

--Barry Kort

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (05/20/88)

In article <32390@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>>>But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
>>>function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
>>>do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
>>>
>>Pray tell, how do you repair, or redesign
>>a human?
>>If you had a machine which was running amok, and you did not know
>>how to repair it or redesign it, would not destroying it or isolating
>>it from the objects of its aggression be a prudent course?
>
>We don't call it repair, we call it healing.
>
>It seems to me that destroying something that one does not understand
>is not a good policy.

Alex in the Clockwork Orange was a fairly good representation of
a psychopath--a person with no conscience or moral feelings whatsoever.
These persons are much more common in the general population than
most people believe.  They aren't all murderers and rapists, but
are successful politicians, deans, chairmen of departments, lawyers,
doctors, etc.  One could well argue that an antisocial, amoral
variant could have definite evolutionary advantages when mixed in relatively
small numbers among a primarily social species.  Evidence is that
their brains are actually wired differently than "normal" peoples'.
We "understand" them on a certain level: their behavior is characterizable
and predictable.  For example, it can be predicted that they will
not change.  If incarcerated they will continue to be amoral in
prison, when (if) released they will continue to be amoral afterward
and will not have "learned their lesson".  No therapy of any kind
has been found to be effective.  The tendancy to psychopathy seems
to be hereditary.  I would suggest that we understand them well enough
that we are justified in destroying those psychopaths who are convicted
of murders until such time (if ever) we find a way of "healing" them, simply
for self-preservation, if nothing else.

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (05/23/88)

In article <1187@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
>In article <1176@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>>Punishment can serve to "redesign" the human machine.  If you have children,
>>you will probably know this.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work with everyone.
>How can an artificial intelligence ever rise above recidivism?  Are
>there any serious examples of re-programming systems, i.e. a system
>that redesigns itself in response to punishment.

Certainly!  The back-propagation connectionist systems are "punished"
for giving an incorrect response to their input by having the weight
strengths leading to the wrong answer decreased.  In most connectionist
learning systems such "punishment" is used exclusively, not rewards.
You may consider this a "crude" learning system, but it probably isn't
much cruder than that actual neural apparatus underlying most organic
brains.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (05/25/88)

I appreciated Gordon Banks' commentary on the psychopathic personality.

His article reminded me of the provocative (but depressing) book by
M. Scott Peck, _People of the Lie:  The Hope for Healing Human Evil_.

I'm actually more in favor of banishment than execution.  But I do
believe that healing is a possibility for the future.  But given the
difficulty of driving bugs out of software, I can appreciate the
challenge of expunging demons from the human psyche.

I agree that prison is not an effective environment for learning morality.
It's hard to learn morality and ethics in an environment devoid of role
models.

--Barry Kort

wet@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Warren E. Taylor) (05/25/88)

In article <1176@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
 In article <31024@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
 >It is not uncommon for a child to "spank" a machine which misbehaves.
 >But as adults, we know that when a machine fails to carry out its
 >function, it needs to be repaired or possibly redesigned.  But we
 >do not punish the machine or incarcerate it.
 >
 >Why then, when a human engages in undesirable behavior, do we resort
 >to such unenlightened corrective measures as yelling, hitting, or
 >deprivation of life-affirming resources?

"Spanking" IS, I repeat, IS a form of redesigning the behavior of a child.
Many children listen to you only when they are feeling pain or are anticipating
the feeling of pain if they do not listen. Many "modern" types do not agree
with this. I am certainly not for spanking a child every time he/she turns
around, but there are also times when it is the only appropriate action. This
occurs when a child repeatedly misbehaves even after being repeatedly informed
of the consequences of his behavior. I have an extremely hard-headed nephew
who "deserves" a spanking quite often because he is doing something that is
dangerous or cruel or simply socially unacceptable. He is also usually
maddeningly defiant.

You only need to observe a baby for a short while to see a very nearly
unadulterated human behavior. Young children have not yet been "socialized".
They are very self-centered, and most of the time care only for themselves.
This is why they scream "mine" and pitch fits at the slightest resistance to
their will. Many people do not realize that a child has learned to manipulate
their parents pretty well about the time they have learned to toddle. They know
just how far they can push a parent. Haven't you ever seen a child keep doing
something you are telling him "no" for until you give the slightest indication
that you are going to get up to deliver that spanking you've promised? They
then promptly quit. Lots of parents then sit back down. This has allowed the
child to learn your tolerance point. There is a 100% chance he will do it
again soon. In such a case, you need to get up and spank the child, even after
he has stopped because you got up. I remember similar occurrences with my
nephew when I babysat him. His "no-no" was trying to play with an electrical
outlet. I solved the problem by giving him 2 warnings, and if that did not
do it, an unavoidable paddling followed. He learned quickly that it was not
worth the pain to defy me.

Adults understand what a child needs. A child, on his own, would quickly kill
himself. Also, pain is often the only teacher a child will listen to. He
learns to associate a certain action with undesirable consequences. I am not
the least bit religious, but the old Biblical saying of "spare the rod..." is
a very valid and important piece of ancient wisdom.

Flame away.
   Warren.

rargyle@wsccs.UUCP (Bob Argyle) (05/29/88)

In article <5323@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, wet@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Warren E. Taylor) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> Adults understand what a child needs. A child, on his own, would quickly kill
> himself.
> Flame away.
>    Warren.

so stop interferring with that child's free will!  [W.C.Fields] :-)

We genetically are programmed to protect that child (it may be a
relative...); not so programmed however for protecting any
computers running an AI program.  AI seems the perfect place to test the
freewill doctrine without the observer interferring with the 'experiment.'
At least one contributor to the discussion has called for an end to AI
because of the effects on impressionable undergraduates being told that
there isn't any free will.

Send Columbus out and if he falls off the edge, so much the better.
IF we get some data on what 'free will' actually is out of AI, then let
us discuss what it means.  It seems we either have free will or we
don't; finding out seems indicated after is it 3000 years of talk.vague.
So is the sun orbitting around the earth?  this impressionable
undergraduate wants to see some hard data.

Bob @ WSCCS

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/30/88)

In article <1209@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>>Are there any serious examples of re-programming systems, i.e. a system
>>that redesigns itself in response to punishment.
>
>Certainly!  The back-propagation connectionist systems are "punished"
>for giving an incorrect response to their input by having the weight
>strengths leading to the wrong answer decreased.
I was expecting this one.  What a marvellous way with words has mens
technica.  To restore at least one of the many subtle connotations of
the word "punishment", I would ask

Are there any serious examples of resistant re-programming systems, i.e. a
system that redesigns itself only in response to JUST punishment, but
resists torture and other attempts to coerce it into falsehood?

I suspect the next AI pastime will be lying to the Connectionist
machine (Hey, I've got this one to blow raspberries when it sees the
word "Reagan", and that one now adds 2 and 2 to get 5!).

Who gets the key to these machines?  I'm already having visions of
Luddite workers corrupting their connectionist robots :-)  Will the
first machine simulation be of some fundamentalist religious fanatic?
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

	     The proper object of the study of humanity is humans, not machines

cfh6r@uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU (Carl F. Huber) (05/31/88)

In article <5323@xanth.cs.odu.edu> wet@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Warren E. Taylor) writes:
>In article <1176@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>
>"Spanking" IS, I repeat, IS a form of redesigning the behavior of a child.
>Many children listen to you only when they are feeling pain or are anticipating
>the feeling of pain if they do not listen.

>         Also, pain is often the only teacher a child will listen to. He

From what basis do you make this extraordinary claim?  Experience? or do you
have some reputable publications to mention - I would like to see the studies.
I also assume that "some" refers to the 'average' child - not pathological
exceptions.

>                                     I have an extremely hard-headed nephew
>who "deserves" a spanking quite often because he is doing something that is
>dangerous or cruel or simply socially unacceptable. He is also usually
>maddeningly defiant.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Most two to six year olds are.  How old is this child? 17? What other methods
have been tried?  Spanking most generally results from frustrated parents
who beleive they have "tried everything", while they actually haven't
begun to scratch the surface of what works.

>learns to associate a certain action with undesirable consequences. I am not
>the least bit religious, but the old Biblical saying of "spare the rod..." is

right, so let's not start something we'll regret, ala .psychology.

>Flame away.
>   Warren.

voila.  cheers.

-carl

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (06/11/88)

In article <566@wsccs.UUCP>, dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:
> In article <5323@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, wet@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Warren E. Taylor) writes:
>> Adults understand what a child needs. A child, on his own, would quickly kill
>> himself. Also, pain is often the only teacher a child will listen to. He
>> learns to associate a certain action with undesirable consequences.
>
> Spanking certainly is a form of behavior alteration, although it might
> not be the best one in all circumstances.  It has been demonstrated in
> experiment after experiment that positive reinforcement of desired
> behaviors works much better than negative reinforcement of undesirable
> behavior patterns.

David:

	But what about th "pseudo-observer effect" (my pseudo-terminology)?
If you beat your child, and then the child proceeds to behave in the manner
you desired him (or her, if she's your daughter and not your son :-) to behave,
then the beating worked (produced the desired effect).  In this fashion, the
parent (or total stranger who beats children) has positive reinforcement of
the beating effecting the behavior.

	Given that the child has responded to being beaten once, it is logical
to assume that he would do so again... this, coupled with the prior positive
reinforcement to the parent (or stranger), makes it more likely that they
will beat the child in the future, given a similar situation.

	Consistent reinforcement is more effective than inconsistent
reinforcement, be it positive or negative.

	Besides, you always have your hands; how often do you happen to have
ice-cream immediately available?

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Signatures; it's not how long you make them, it's how you make them long!' |

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (06/14/88)

In article <2436@uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU> cfh6r@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu.UUCP (Carl F. Huber) writes:
>In article <5323@xanth.cs.odu.edu> wet@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Warren E. Taylor) writes:
>>In article <1176@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>>
>>"Spanking" IS, I repeat, IS a form of redesigning the behavior of a child.
>>Many children listen to you only when they are feeling pain or are anticipating
>>the feeling of pain if they do not listen.

Whoa!  This is not a quote from me!  Myself, I would prefer non-violent
forms of punishment, since I think kids learn the legitamacy of violence
from being spanked.  But, I should mention, I don't have kids, so I may
not be the one to ask about it.

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (06/16/88)

In article <558@wsccs.UUCP>, rargyle@wsccs.UUCP (Bob Argyle) writes:
> We genetically are programmed to protect that child (it may be a
> relative...);

Please avoid expressing your opinions as fact.  There is
insufficient evidence that we are genetically programmed for ANY
adult behavior to allow that proposition to be used as if it were
an uncontestable fact.  (Keep in mind that this does NOT mean
that we are not structured to have certain capabilities, nor does
it deny phenomena like first-time learning.)

> IF we get some data on what 'free will' actually is out of AI, then let
> us discuss what it means.  It seems we either have free will or we
> don't; finding out seems indicated after is it 3000 years of talk.vague.

I hate to call you philosophically naive, but this remark seems
to indicate that this is so.  The real question debated by
philosophers is not "do we have free will", but "what does `free
will' mean".  The question is not one of data, but rather of
interpretation.  Generally speaking, once the latter question is
answered to a philosopher's satisfaction, the answer to the
former question is obvious.

Given this, one can see that it is not possible to test the
hypothesis with AI.