[comp.ai] Category Theory in AI

dpb@hen3ry.Philips.Com (Paul Benjamin) (08/22/88)

In article <1572@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
>I can't imagine what category theory has to contribute to knowledge
>representation (though I can just about imagine it helping to describe
>neural nets in a more abstract way). Can the philabs people say more
>about what they're up to?

Well, not really, in a public forum.  But Mike Lowry of the Kestrel
Institute has pointed out that a representation can be viewed as
a category, and a shift of representation as a morphism.  The
question of whether this insight is very productive is open, but at
least it gives us a formal notion of representation, and we've
built on this some formal notions of abstraction and learning.
We'll let you know if this turns out to be fruitful.

Paul Benjamin