[comp.ai] Prolog, etc.

fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) (08/31/88)

Does anyone know of a PD version of Prolog that will run under UNIX.
It must come with source since we would like to able to use it on
any UNIX machine (including Gould, SUN, VAX, etc.)? We currently have
XLISP and I would very much like to augment this with a PROLOG for
my AI students. If it can be FTP'd, so much the better! Thanks for
responding...

Also, we would be interested in any functional languages (like ML) that
are easily available on the net.

-paul fishwick
fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

| Paul A. Fishwick.......... INTERNET: fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu     |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: {gatech|ihnp4}!codas!uflorida!fishwick|
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |

newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) (08/31/88)

In article <17357@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) writes:
> Does anyone know of a PD version of Prolog that will run under UNIX.
> It must come with source since we would like to able to use it on
> any UNIX machine (including Gould, SUN, VAX, etc.)? We currently have

We use C-Prolog on our UNIX machines (VAX, MIPS, 3B20, UNIX PC, etc.)
It is based on the Prolog system written in IMP by Luis Damas (and
Lawrence Byrd) for the ICL 2900 computers.  For more info, contact
Fernando Pereira, EdCAAD, Dept. of Architecture, University of Edinburgh.

Newton Lee
AT&T Bell Laboratories

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (09/01/88)

In article <1034@mtund.ATT.COM> newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) writes:
>In article <17357@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a PD version of Prolog that will run under UNIX.
>> It must come with source since we would like to able to use it on
>> any UNIX machine (including Gould, SUN, VAX, etc.)? We currently have
>
>We use C-Prolog on our UNIX machines (VAX, MIPS, 3B20, UNIX PC, etc.)
>It is based on the Prolog system written in IMP by Luis Damas (and
>Lawrence Byrd) for the ICL 2900 computers.  For more info, contact
>Fernando Pereira, EdCAAD, Dept. of Architecture, University of Edinburgh.
>
>Newton Lee
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

C Prolog is not public domain and never has been.
Fernando hasn't been at EdCAAD for about five years; he is currently
at SRI Cambridge.  EdCAAD is still the place to ask about C Prolog.

You might find Stony Brook Prolog more what you're looking for.
It's covered by a GNU-style "copyleft", but that shouldn't bother
a .edu site.  The contact is Saumya Debray: debray@arizona.edu.

I'd be tempted to mention that Q------ Prolog is really great, more
than worth the price, but it doesn't run on Goulds, so I shan't (:-).

By "any UNIX machine", I hope Fishwick means "any 32-bit byte-addressed
virtual-memory machine running V.2 or later or 4.1BSD or later".  A 286
running Xenix is a UNIX machine, but don't expect porting C Prolog or
SB Prolog to it to be trivial.

apl_aimh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Marty Hall) (09/03/88)

In article <17357@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Prolog that will run under UNIX.
>It must come with source .....

SB Prolog is a PD, compilable C&M Prolog with source included.  They say
that it runs on "Berkeley UNIX or related operating systems," I know that
it compiles and runs fine on a Sun under 3.x.  The University of Arizona
will ship you 1600 bpi tar tapes for "distribution costs" of $20 in
N. America, $40 overseas.  I am unaware of anonymous ftp sites.
	SB-Prolog Distribution
	Department of Computer Science
	University of Arizona
	Tucson, AZ  85721

				Regards-
					- Marty Hall
-------
--
apl_aimh@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu   Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MS 100/601
...uunet!jhunix!apl_aimh      AAI Corporation