[comp.ai] Playing dice with the universe.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (09/20/88)

I don't know if God plays dice with the universe.  But I do know that
us humans do play dice, and the outcome of our games does effect the
course of history.  Casting lots is as old as recorded history.

--Barry Kort

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (09/21/88)

In article <40141@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Kort) writes:
>I don't know if God plays dice with the universe.  But I do know that
>us humans do play dice, and the outcome of our games does effect the
>course of history.  Casting lots is as old as recorded history.

Yes, we humans play dice.  But that doesn't prove they deliver _RANDOM_
results.  "Unpredictable", "random", and "independent" are distinguishable
properties.  Dice could be as determined as the digits of pi and still be
as humanly unpredictable.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (09/22/88)

In article <453@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Yes, we humans play dice.  But that doesn't prove they deliver _RANDOM_
>results.  "Unpredictable", "random", and "independent" are distinguishable
>properties.  Dice could be as determined as the digits of pi and still be
>as humanly unpredictable.

Richard, since we have departed from the original question to a technical
dialogue on the meaning of "random", could you supply us with your
definitions of "random", "unpredictable", and "independent"?  Are
there other related terms in the lexicon that we can further explore
and distinguish?  (After that, we can see if any of them capture the
the metaphor of "God playing dice with the universe".)

--Barry Kort