[comp.ai] Randomness, the universe, and Turing machines

jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) (09/20/88)

In article <7059@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@bd.sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>In article <388@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>
>>But is there any reason to suppose that the universe _is_ a Turing machine?
>
>None whatever.  The conjecture is almost instantly disprovable: no Turing
>machine can output a true random number, but a physical system can.  Since
>a function is surely "computable" if a physical system can be constructed
>that computes it, the existence of true random-number generators directly
>disproves the Church-Turing conjecture.

Two comments.  First, I think "deterministic automaton" is a more apt
(putative) metaphor for the universe than a Turing machine.  Turing machines
have infinite tapes, symbols, read/write heads, etc.;  it is a model of
computation, and bandying it about as an analogy for the workings of the
universe in this sort of discussion is sloppy, and bound to make theorists
wince. ;-)

Regarding "true randomness": randomness, in a theoretical sense, is more
closely related to predictability than determinism.  Turing machines are
certainly capable of outputting highly unpredictable sequences which would
satisfy any statistical criteria of randomness you care to invent.  If, by
"random", you mean to imply nondeterministic behaviour, the existence of
"true", physically realizable random number generators is contingent upon
the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics (no hidden variables).
Can you supply a proof that God does indeed play dice with the universe?

-- Jim Lewis
   U.C. Berkeley

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (09/21/88)

In article <26154@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
> In article <7059@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@bd.sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
> >In article <388@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

> Regarding "true randomness": randomness, in a theoretical sense, is more
> closely related to predictability than determinism.  Turing machines are
> certainly capable of outputting highly unpredictable sequences which would
> satisfy any statistical criteria of randomness you care to invent.  If, by
> "random", you mean to imply nondeterministic behaviour, the existence of
> "true", physically realizable random number generators is contingent upon
> the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics (no hidden variables).
> Can you supply a proof that God does indeed play dice with the universe?

A deterministic universe implies that all our actions, including this posting,
are determined.  The philosophical implications of this should be obvious.

Quantum mechanics is even worse than randomness.  The observations have proper-
ties which observe probabilistic rules, but what happens between observations
is worse (from a mathematical point of view.  No value judgments here :-)).
I have no difficulty with probability as a property of the universe, with its
behavior included in the description of the physical laws.  This has nothing
to do with unpredictibility, but with indeterminism.

Then there is free will.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (09/21/88)

From article <936@l.cc.purdue.edu>, by cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin):
> A deterministic universe implies that all our actions, including this posting,
> are determined.  The philosophical implications of this should be obvious.

I knew you were gonna say that ;-)

But seriously, why does it seem so counter-intuitive.  If you put a
dozen balls in a box and shake it, the resulting trajectories will
seem--to the uninformed eye--random and unpredictable.  But given the
proper information [note I don't say observational powers and thus avoid
the Uncertainty Principle], one can exactly predict the paths that the
ball will take.

Now scale that model up by many thousand orders of magnitude.  Instead
of balls, we have subatomic particles and more subtle forces at work,
but the principle is still the same.  We may never haveenough
information to exactly predict events in the universe, or even a
reasonable subregion thereof.  But the inability to make the exact
calculation doesn't mean that the universe isn't exactly, completely
deterministic.

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    The last thing one knows in constructing
MESARD@BBN.COM               a work is what to put first.

gbn474@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregory Newby) (09/21/88)

In article <936@l.cc.purdue.edu>, cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

> Then there is free will.
>
> Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907

No, No.  Please, not free will again.  It's been debated to death
on comp.ai, with no result (except of course insult).

I picked up a book by Karl Popper (_Of Clouds and Clocks_, actually a
lecture) which reminded me of the discussion that went
on here.  He, as it happens, supports the notion of free will, but
must conclude in the end that he has no way to test the theory.
  And if it ain't testable, it ain't science (ref:  your introductory methods
textbook from ___101).

--newbs
  (
   gbnewby@rodan.acs.syr.edu
   gbn474@leah.albany.edu
  )

ps:  i *had* to say that.

cdfk@otter.hple.hp.com (Caroline Knight) (09/21/88)

>Now scale that model up by many thousand orders of magnitude.  Instead
>of balls, we have subatomic particles and more subtle forces at work,
>but the principle is still the same.  We may never haveenough
>information to exactly predict events in the universe, or even a
>reasonable subregion thereof.  But the inability to make the exact
>calculation doesn't mean that the universe isn't exactly, completely
>deterministic.
>
>--
>unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    The last thing one knows in constructing
>MESARD@BBN.COM               a work is what to put first.
>BBN, Cambridge, MA                                      -- Blaise Pascal
>----------

Balls are only models of atoms - if the "real" (whatever that means!)
form of atoms is different then this argument has no substance.

All you have said is:

If one can model atoms by something purely deterministic like balls
then they are purely deterministic

Sounds tautological to me.

Caroline Knight
HPLabs, Bristol, UK

dorn@fabscal.UUCP (Alan Dorn Hetzel) (09/21/88)

If you remain convinced that the universe is deterministic, and awaits only
adequate observational and computational resources to be modeled, I have some
bad news for you...

I don't want to make this a mega-message, so I'll just put it this way;

Check out a few books on Quantum Physics / Chaos Theory.

Dorn
gatech.edu!fabscal!dorn

p.s. FOLLOWUPS to sci.physics PLEASE>

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (09/22/88)

>must conclude in the end that he has no way to test the theory.
>  And if it ain't testable, it ain't science (ref:  your introductory methods
>textbook from ___101).

Does this mean we're back to belief systems again?

Of course, `what is the answer to this question'
has another answer: Shut up.

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (09/22/88)

In article <29891@bbn.COM>, mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) writes:
> But seriously, why does it seem so counter-intuitive.  If you put a
> dozen balls in a box and shake it, the resulting trajectories will
> seem--to the uninformed eye--random and unpredictable.  But given the
> proper information [note I don't say observational powers and thus avoid
> the Uncertainty Principle], one can exactly predict the paths that the
> ball will take.

> Now scale that model up by many thousand orders of magnitude.  Instead
> of balls, we have subatomic particles and more subtle forces at work,
> but the principle is still the same.  We may never haveenough
> information to exactly predict events in the universe, or even a
> reasonable subregion thereof.  But the inability to make the exact
> calculation doesn't mean that the universe isn't exactly, completely
> deterministic.

This Laplacian view of the Universe died out a long time ago, both in
quantum mechanics, and non-equilibrium statistical thermodynamics.
Amongst other things, the Laplacian view depends on both locality,
and linearity of the equations involved, neither of which holds true
in either of these cases.

For a good introduction to this, see I. Prigogine's books, such as "Being to
Becoming" (Freeman).  The implications for large AI systems are quite
apparent.

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (09/23/88)

In article <1024@leah.Albany.Edu> gbn474@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregory Newby) writes:
>  And if it ain't testable, it ain't science (ref:  your introductory methods
>textbook from ___101).
and if it is tested, it may still be uncertain  (ref: any proper
discussion of hypothetico-deductive methods)

>ps:  i *had* to say that.
Me too
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (10/04/88)

For an interesting report on the subject of predictability vs. chaos,
see the current issue of Scientific American.  According to recent
studies, an infinitesimal perturbation in the initial conditions
of the orbit of Pluto leads to exponentially divergent solutions.
After 30 million years, the two solutions can place Pluto on opposite
sides of its orbit about the Sun.  And if the orbit of Pluto is chaotic,
then the whole Solar System is chaotic as well.  [The article can be
found the the Science and the Citizen column, and is titled "God takes
a nap".]

--Barry Kort

To Mr. Juergen Cronau:
University of Dortmund, Department of Computer Science, W-Germany
UUCP:   cronau@exunido

I'm also interested in logic programming and deductive databases.
Can you send me information about your selected papers?

Thanks in advance.

Kuan, Yih-pyng
Computer Science Department
Michigan State University