[comp.ai] Language Translator

m85_miche@tekn01.chalmers.se (When lispers hack ... the fun begun) (10/06/88)

Hello Out there !

Is there by any chance anyone sitting on a source translating some
language to another ?

I've heard that there is some tryings to translate English to
Chinese .... is there any truth in that ?

Which litterature can I seek what I want ?

Thanks for any reply !

/Michel

mitchell@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Mitchell Marks) (10/11/88)

:
:I've heard that there is some tryings to translate English to
:Chinese .... is there any truth in that ?
:
:Which litterature can I seek what I want ?

_Computational_Linguistics_ had a couple special issues on machine translation
not too long ago: Vol 11 No. 1 (January-March 1985) and Vol 11 Nos. 2-3 (April-Sept 1985)
with a review article by Jonathan Slocum in the first issue and reports of particular
projects filling out the rest of these issues.

A recent book on this topic is _Machine_Translation:_Theoretical_and_
methodological_issues, ed. Sergei Nirenburg, Cambridge U.P. 1987.  The
volume starts with overview articles by Nirenburg and by Allan Tucker,
and contains articles addressing a variety of issues.

            -- Mitch Marks
               mitchell@tartarus.UChicago.EDU

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (10/11/88)

In article <227@tekn01.chalmers.se> m85_miche@tekn01.chalmers.se

>Is there by any chance anyone sitting on a source translating some
>language to another ?
>
>Which litterature can I seek what I want ?

There are several sources of info on machine translation.  Begin with
"Machine Translation" in S. C. Shapiro (ed.), Encyclopedia of AI (Wiley,
1987).

There are two recent books:

Sergei Nirenburg (ed.), Machine Translation:  Theoretical and
Methodological Issues (Cambridge UP, 1987).

and another book by, I think, a fellow named Hutchings, published by
Ellis Horwood, in England; it's a good survey.

There are two major journals:

Computational Linguistics, published by MIT Press for the Association
for Computational Linguistics,

and

Computers and Translation, published by Kluwer Academic Publishers.

					William J. Rapaport
					Associate Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464