[net.unix-wizards] VAX 730 system

etk@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (07/17/86)

We're running a VAX/730 system under 4.2bsd, it has an "idc" controller
for the R80 and RL02 disk plus a UDA50 for an RA81. Has anyone out there
had any luck with trying to use the RL02? I'd like to be able to use
either the root or "g" partiton of this disk as an archival area and
perhaps leave a mini-root there for catastrophic rebuilding of the system.
However, everytime I try to access it as device "rb1" (rb0 is the R80)
the system crashes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bzs@bu-cs.bu.EDU (07/20/86)

>From: etk%ittvax.atc.itt.uucp@BRL.ARPA
>We're running a VAX/730 system under 4.2bsd, it has an "idc" controller
>for the R80 and RL02 disk plus a UDA50 for an RA81. Has anyone out there
>had any luck with trying to use the RL02? I'd like to be able to use
>either the root or "g" partiton of this disk as an archival area and
>perhaps leave a mini-root there for catastrophic rebuilding of the system.
>However, everytime I try to access it as device "rb1" (rb0 is the R80)
>the system crashes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a 730 running 4.2bsd with an R80 and RL02. I have no trouble
either accessing or booting from the RL02 (I have a root and usr
partition on the RL02 that works fine all by itself, we even have
another 730 system that has only 2 RL02s running 4.2bsd satisfactorily
[not much else though].)

Either you've got something wrong in your config file or you
are having hardware problems, it should work fine. Then again,
I *don't* have a UDA50 on the system, perhaps that is somehow
your trouble?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <609@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> etk@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP writes:
>We're running a VAX/730 system under 4.2bsd, it has an "idc"
>controller for the R80 and RL02 disk plus a UDA50 for an RA81. ...
>everytime I try to access [the RL02] as device "rb1" (rb0 is the
>R80) the system crashes.

I recall a fix for idecc() somewhere along the 4.3 beta test line.
Perhaps your RL02 has a bad spot.  You might try running 4.3 (I
hear it is finally shipping) or poking about in idcecc().
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris