[comp.ai] poetry composing programs

chaudhas@lafcol.UUCP (Chaudhary Sharad ) (10/23/88)

I'm a novice prolog programmer and as a semester project I'm writing
a prolog program that composes simplistic verse. I'm not familiar with
the literature in this field and would appreciate pointers to the
relevant literature. I'm also interested in the more general area
of natural language generators (particularly those written in prolog)
and any references to this field too would be very useful.

                           Thanks in advance
                           sharad

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (10/23/88)

      I once generated poetry using 1940's vintage IBM plugboard-wired
accounting machines.  This was back in the 1960s, when computer time was
harder to come by.  I used an IBM 85 collator, a 402 accounting machine,
and an 82 sorter.  The basic technique involved imposing the grammatical
pattern of an existing poem on random words.  Some additional checks
insured that the word-to-word transitions were similar to ones that had
appeared in other text.

      The result was not particularly profound, but read well in spots.

					John Nagle

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (10/25/88)

In article <288@lafcol.UUCP> chaudhas@lafcol.UUCP (Chaudhary Sharad ) writes:
>I'm a novice prolog programmer and as a semester project I'm writing
>a prolog program that composes simplistic verse. I'm not familiar with
>the literature in this field and would appreciate pointers to the
>relevant literature. I'm also interested in the more general area
>of natural language generators (particularly those written in prolog)
>and any references to this field too would be very useful.
>
>                           Thanks in advance
>                           sharad

	How about a Forth program that composes Chinese Limericks?
See _Forth Notebook_ by Dr. C.H.Ting, Offete Enterprises, 1987
pp. 245 - 250.

( Offete Enterprises in 1306 South B Street, San Mateo, CA 94402)

Dr. Ting has also implemented a tiny Prolog in Forth called Forlog.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}									  {}
{} jax@well	." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"		  {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 300/1200 8-n-1 24 hrs."                 {}
{} JAX on GEnie		." Tell them JAX sent you!"			  {}
{}									  {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

ken@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (10/27/88)

Look for `The policeman's beard is half constructed' by ``Racter''.
From:       Ken Johnson
Address:    AI Applications Institute, The University, EDINBURGH, Scotland
Phone:      031-225 4464 ext 212
Email:	    k.johnson@ed.ac.uk
Quotation:  Everyone said it couldn't be done
	    But he buckled down and set to it;
	    He tackled the Job That Couldn't Be Done,
	    And he couldn't do it.