[comp.ai] "Godel, Escher, Bach ..." by Douglas R. Hofstadter, figure 18

peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) (10/27/88)

In message <6614@venera.isi.edu> Mr. Smoliar writes:

>Since you probably don't mean "a sensible approach to illustration," I would
>argue that the Figure doesn't amount to much unless it allocates space to the
>rules of inference.  (Or do you regard them as involately static as Bach's
>greatness?)

The rules of inference are important.  You can put them just to the right
of the diagram.  My comment had to do with the diagram in respect to the
rest of the book.

There is definitely something missing from figure 18 on p.71.  And of course
it's not "sensible".  I haven't been a sensible person lately.  For a clue,
look at M.C.Escher's "Liberation" or "Reptiles".  It's probably a stupid
idea anyway.  Ignore what I say.

Here's another clue:  The text you are now reading is a 2 dimensional
representation of thoughts from the 3rd and 4th dimension.

"Godel, Escher, Bach ..." is damaging to your mental health.  Why did Douglas
write this book anyway.  I feel like my brain imploded.  I may never think
normal again.  I might have to seek professional help.  There should be a
warning label or something on the book's front cover.

I might do some COBOL programming just to get back in touch with reality.

Today's mind aerobic:  Is there any real difference between the words TIME and
                       INFINITY.

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (10/28/88)

In article <446@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) writes:

>There is definitely something missing from figure 18 on p.71.  And of course
>it's not "sensible".  I haven't been a sensible person lately.  For a clue,
>look at M.C.Escher's "Liberation" or "Reptiles".  It's probably a stupid
>idea anyway.  Ignore what I say.
>
>Here's another clue:  The text you are now reading is a 2 dimensional
>representation of thoughts from the 3rd and 4th dimension.

Escher may be the only artist to successfully capture the three spatial
dimensions and the temporal dimension in a single two-dimensional image.
Clearly, time is missing from the illustration.  It is also missing from
much of what is written about mind, although Gerald Edelman seems to be
holding forth as a potentially viable exception.

>"Godel, Escher, Bach ..." is damaging to your mental health.  Why did Douglas
>write this book anyway.  I feel like my brain imploded.  I may never think
>normal again.  I might have to seek professional help.  There should be a
>warning label or something on the book's front cover.
>
>I might do some COBOL programming just to get back in touch with reality.

Some writers are born clever.  Some achieve cleverness.  Some have cleverness
thrust upon them.  The rest of them keep banging away at the word processors
like the proverbial million monkeys in the desperate hope that if they string
enough words together, eventually something clever will emerge.  If such
writers are fools, then the committees which award prizes to their products
are even greater fools, outdone only by those who admire such accolades and
think that there is merit in anything granted such an award.  Unfortunately,
this situation IS reality.  What you really want to do is escape it.  Go back
to LISP.

peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) (10/28/88)

In message <6634@venera.isi.edu> Mr. Smoliar writes:

>Escher may be the only artist to successfully capture the three spatial
>dimensions and the temporal dimension in a single two-dimensional image.
>Clearly, time is missing from the illustration.  It is also missing from
>much of what is written about mind, although Gerald Edelman seems to be
>holding forth as a potentially viable exception.

Thank you for responding.  However, you are wrong.  Time is very much apart
of the figure.  I believe Time gives definition to every dimension known
to people.  Even the 2 dimensional piece of paper containing figure 18.

Without time, how could you possibly define a point?  A point in a sense,
is the 0th dimension, and there are points in all dimensions.  You can
even be bolder and say TIME is the 0th dimension.

You are very close to the answer I had in mind.  But don't take this too
seriously.  I don't know who Gerald Edelman is, could you please cite some