[comp.ai] Applied AI and CAM

martin@prodix.liu.se (Martin Wendel) (11/09/88)

I am doing a project on applied AI and CAM.

It concerns building an AI planning system for automating
NC-Lathe operations planning. My goal is that the system
will be competent enough to support unmanned manufacturing
on our NC-Lathe.

I would be most grateful if You could send references
concerning this area of AI.

nau@mimsy.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (11/13/88)

In article <76@prodix.liu.se> martin@prodix.liu.se (Martin Wendel) writes:
>I am doing a project on ... building an AI planning system for automating
>NC-Lathe operations planning. ...
>I would be most grateful if You could send references
>concerning this area of AI.

I and my students have done lots of research in this area.  A few of the
published papers are listed below.

D. S. Nau, ``Automated Process Planning Using Hierarchical Abstraction,''
{\em TI Technical Journal},  Winter 1987, pp. 39-46.  Award winner, Texas
Instruments 1987 Call for Papers on AI for Industrial Automation.

D. S. Nau and M. Gray,  ``Hierarchical Knowledge Clustering:  A Way to
Represent and Use Problem-Solving Knowledge,'' J. Hendler, ed., {\em Expert
Systems: The User Interface}, Ablex, Norwood, NJ, 1987, pp. 81-98.

D. S. Nau, R. Karinthi, G. Vanecek, and Q. Yang,
``Integrating AI and Solid Modeling for Design and Process Planning,''
{\em Second IFIP Working Group 5.2 Workshop on Intelligent CAD},
University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, Sept. 1988.
--
Dana S. Nau
Computer Science Dept.		ARPA & CSNet:  nau@mimsy.umd.edu