[comp.ai] "Iterative Deepening" reference wanted

ok@quintus (11/16/88)

In my Prolog tutorial, I described a search method intermediate between
depth first and breadth first, called
	Iterative Deepening
or	Consecutively Bounded Depth-First Search

Does anyone know who invented these terms,
and can you give me references to readily available books or journal
articles describing them?  (I know what iterative deepening is, I'd
just like to put proper references into the next draft of the
tutorial.)

hannan@linc.cis.upenn.edu (John Hannan) (11/17/88)

In article <688@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus () writes:
>In my Prolog tutorial, I described a search method intermediate between
>depth first and breadth first, called
>	Iterative Deepening
>or	Consecutively Bounded Depth-First Search
>
>Does anyone know who invented these terms,

Check out "Depth-First Iterative Deepening: An Optimal Admissible Tree
Search," by R. Korf in AI Journal 27(1):97-109 and also a related
article by Korf in IJCAI85 proceedings.  In the intro to his journal
paper, Korf briefly describes the origin of the algorithm but he seems to
have been the first person to use this term.

wine@maui.cs.ucla.edu (David Wine) (11/17/88)

In article <688@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus () writes:
>In my Prolog tutorial, I described a search method intermediate between
>depth first and breadth first, called
>	Iterative Deepening
>or	Consecutively Bounded Depth-First Search
>
>Does anyone know who invented these terms,
>and can you give me references to readily available books or journal
>articles describing them?  . . .

See

  Korf, Richard E., "Depth-First Iterative Deepening:  An Optimal
  Admissible Tree Search", Artificial Intelligence, 27(1985) 97-109.

--David Wine

University of California at Los Angeles                wine@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department                            (213) 825-6010
3531 Boelter Hall
Los Angeles, CA  90024