[comp.ai] Understanding Jokes

caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) (11/01/88)

Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
the funniness of the joke?

dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) (11/01/88)

In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP>, caasi@sdsu (Richard Caasi) writes:

>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
>the funniness of the joke?

I want to know too!  It would make an excellent kill filter for
rec.funny.  -- Dave
Dave Bakin				    (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Blvd.; Santa Clara, CA 95054-3197
Internet:  dsb@rational.com	 Uucp:  ...!uunet!igor!dsb

ijd@otter.hple.hp.com (Ian Dickinson) (11/01/88)

    |  "Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as |
    |  input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on  |
    |  the funniness of the joke?"                                   |

         |  Some  work or program for understanding jokes   |

                                   8.3

But seriously folks...  Mapping any complex human response like emotion
or humour onto the domain of integers is out of the question.  There is
no such thing as the "funniness" of a joke, or for that matter, the degree
to which I am feeling sad at the moment.  What you will find is that a
joke is more or less amusing according to the environment, your mood,
your knowledge about the subject of the joke, etc etc.  Moreover, you
will find different jokes funny for different reasons,  and so they can't
really be compared.  Add to that the observation that my sense of humour
is almost certainly very different from yours (or anybody else's), and it
looks like you are on a no-hoper.

You might find an interesting diversion in trying to define various categories
of funny stories, and attempting to capture the essence of the category.
It _might_ then be possible to take your favourite natural language system
and attempt to spot when a story fits that category.  Puns suggest themselves
as a rich but initially tractable domain (for simple versions anyway).

Food for thought:  There is a joke about monks in a monastery who know each
other so well, and all the funny stories that they tell, that all the stories
are assigned a number.  To tell a story, the monk simple calls out the number.
There is more, but this is not rec.humor.   One reason why this joke is
amusing is that the idea of reducing stories to that level is so absurd
that it's funny.  I am inclined to believe that *any* reductionist approach
to understanding phenomena like humour or emotion is missing the point
entirely.

Ian.

| Ian Dickinson,  HP Labs, Information Systems Centre,    Bristol, England  |
| net: ijd%otter@hplabs.hp.com        |                                     |
|  or:       ijd@hplb.uucp            |  ?-  mind(X),  body(X),  spirit(X). |
| These opinions are all my own work. |                                     |

dhw@itivax.UUCP (David H. West) (11/02/88)

In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) writes:
>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
>the funniness of the joke?

7.3

mike@mfgfoc.uucp (Mike Thompson) (11/02/88)

From article <3244@sdsu.UUCP>, by caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi):

> Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
> input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
> the funniness of the joke?

	Yeah, my program rated your message a one.  :-)

Mike Thompson

anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (11/02/88)

This discussion brings to mind a story by Isaac Asimov (I forgot the name,
remember) in which his mythical world computer "Multivac" is put to the
task of determining from where jokes come.  The scientist doing the study
is an expert joke-teller, but recognizes that except for minor variations
there is no such thing as a 'new' joke.
 (HIT 'N' TO SKIP CONCLUSION)

 The computer comes to the conclusion
that 'jokes' are an artificial construct - like a maze is to a lab rat -
only designed to test something in humans.

AND ONCE THEY REALIZE THAT, ALL OF A SUDDEN JOKES DON'T SEEM FUNNY
TO ANYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD - AND EVERYONE WONDERS - WHAT IS THE
NEXT TEST - AND WHO IS TESTING US?

"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  anderson@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM |UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!jpa
     Joel Peter Anderson         |ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jpa@nosc.mil
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |INET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com

ao@coma.UUCP (Arnfried Ossen) (11/09/88)

In article <349@itivax.UUCP> dhw@itivax.UUCP (David H. West) writes:
>In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
>>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
>>the funniness of the joke?
>
>7.3

9.0
--
Arnfried Ossen, Technical University of Berlin                  <ao@coma.UUCP>
Department of Applied Computer Science                    <ao@db0tui62.BITNET>

smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) (11/09/88)

In article <846@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:
>This discussion brings to mind a story by Isaac Asimov (I forgot the name,
>remember) in which his mythical world computer "Multivac" is put to the
>task of determining from where jokes come.

The name of the story is 'Jokester'.  Asimov wrote it because he loves telling
jokes, and he wanted a sci-fi story to have his six favourite jokes in it.
(Actually, Larry Shaw dared him to do it.  Who's Larry Shaw?  I don't know,
but it is probably someone who knows Isaac :-)

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- smann@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
        -=-

'I have no brain, and I must think...' - An Omynous
'If I don't think, AM I' - Another Omynous

dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) (11/10/88)

In article <333@igor.Rational.COM>, dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) writes:
> In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP>, caasi@sdsu (Richard Caasi) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
> >input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
> >the funniness of the joke?
>
> I want to know too!  It would make an excellent kill filter for
> rec.funny.  -- Dave

Welll....., the folks down in Hollywood (who have very strange ideas
about what a computer is) have db meters on almost every audience in
creation that listens to live programs.  We could always hook up an
ADC to the db meter and feed the input into a computer.  Actually
though, there must be some other measure that could be made into a
rule based system..... (any takers?).

dharvey@wsccs

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (11/11/88)

In article <380@coma.UUCP> ao@coma.UUCP (Arnfried Ossen) writes:
>In article <349@itivax.UUCP> dhw@itivax.UUCP (David H. West) writes:
>>In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) writes:
>>>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
>>>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
>>>the funniness of the joke?
>>
>>7.3
>
>9.0

1.4  (it's already been done.)

(does this mean I'll get a higher or lower mark?  Is there some
pattern to the sequence?  Maybe we could come up with a celluar
automata to generate this sequence....)

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (11/12/88)

In article <380@coma.UUCP>, Arnfried Ossen writes:
> In article <349@itivax.UUCP> David H. West writes:
> >In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP> Richard Caasi writes:
> >>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
> >>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
> >>the funniness of the joke?
> >
> >7.3
>
> 9.0

9.5

Watch out, or the next thing you know, you'll be asking for something
really absurd, like for a test that will give you a number, say
between 0 to 200, that measures intelligence.
--

Chris Long
Mathematics Department

hajek@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Gregory Michael Hajek) (11/13/88)

In article <777@wsccs.UUCP> dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:
>> In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP>, caasi@sdsu (Richard Caasi) writes:
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
>>>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
>>>the funniness of the joke?
>
>Actually
>though, there must be some other measure that could be made into a
>rule based system..... (any takers?).

Well, for a first stab, puns aren't too tough; a reasonable measure could be the
amount of backtracking a pun requires the hearer to make to identify the
actual meaning of a pun, as opposed to its initially conveyed meaning.  .  It
was all the money I had."  The conveyed meaning is that "bucks" = "male deer",
when the actual meaning is "money".  Of course, by this measure garden path
sentences are hysterical, but you could always put a limit on how much
backtracking is just too much work (it becomes too annoying to enjoy the joke).
----------
Greg Hajek {....!uwvax!oddjob!tank!gargoyle!hajek}
"She was the only woman I had ever met who said 'thanks' with an 'x'."

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/14/88)

This assumes that there is such a thing as THE funniness of a joke.
I'm not a USAn, and when a joke is told at this company I often am
left wondering what was supposed to be funny when the others are
laughing their heads off.  Conversely, some of my best jokes are
met with tactful smiles.  There is a _lot_ of cultural background
behind jokes; even a shared language is not enough.  Even when two
people have essentially the same cultural background, they are not
likely to react the same to all jokes.

Even after allowing for differences between hearers, there is still
an assumption that there is a _single_ "funniness" metric for a given
hearer, and it is not at all clear to me that this is the case.  I've
not put a great deal of thought into it, but it feels to me that there
are at least three different kinds of humour-reaction, and that
different jokes excite them in different proportions.  Not all jokes
are primarily bisociative, for examples.

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (11/15/88)

In article <846@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:
>  The computer comes to the conclusion
> that 'jokes' are an artificial construct - like a maze is to a lab rat -
> only designed to test something in humans.
>
> AND ONCE THEY REALIZE THAT, ALL OF A SUDDEN JOKES DON'T SEEM FUNNY
> TO ANYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD - AND EVERYONE WONDERS - WHAT IS THE
> NEXT TEST - AND WHO IS TESTING US?

HAve you ever read The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy and (I think)
The Hotel at the End of The Galaxay

Both of these are remarkable true stories of how the Earth is being
used by Hyperdimensional Mice as an experiment of some sort and that we
are only lab rats (sic).  I should know, I'm one of the research
assistants and boy are you people ever screwing up the experiment.

||        ))
||         ))
||  o   o   ))
||         ))
||        ))

The world's biggest smiley.

marcos@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (M V Lapolla) (11/17/88)

In article <5263@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) writes:

> >This discussion brings to mind a story by Isaac Asimov (I forgot the name,
> >remember) in which his mythical world computer "Multivac" is put to the
> >task of determining from where jokes come.

A computer or a famous scientist who liked telling jokes? I think the later.

> The name of the story is 'Jokester'.  Asimov wrote it because he loves telling
> jokes, and he wanted a sci-fi story to have his six favourite jokes in it.
> (Actually, Larry Shaw dared him to do it.  Who's Larry Shaw?  I don't know,
> but it is probably someone who knows Isaac :-)

If I recall correctly, he or it concluded that there were only 6 types
of jokes, no new jokes only new puns. I wonder, has anyone thought up
a new joke, ever?

M.

marcos@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (M V Lapolla) (11/17/88)

In article <380@coma.UUCP>, ao@coma.UUCP (Arnfried Ossen) writes:
> In article <349@itivax.UUCP> dhw@itivax.UUCP (David H. West) writes:
> >In article <3244@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) writes:
> >>Does anyone know of any work or program that takes a joke as
> >>input and outputs some number, say between 0 to 10, based on
> >>the funniness of the joke?
> >
> >7.3
>
> 9.0

That's not funny! Now 8.6! That's funny!

A.

M.

fransvo@htsa (Frans van Otten) (11/18/88)

In article <763@auvax.UUCP> kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) writes: