[comp.ai] cybernetics of various forms

fn@harlqn.UUCP (Phil Knightbridge) (11/14/88)

Since CYBERNETICS is the study of communication and control of
living bodies as compared to those of mechanical or electrical
then socio-cybernetics is concerned initially with the model of
society as a living entity and hence comparing its communication
and control with that of an electrical or mechanical system.

Psycho-cybernetics I find a little more interesting to define but
has clearly been included to complement the use of socio-cybernetics
since it must relate to the control and communication of the mind/soul
as a living entity. In examination of the workings of the human being
I would be interested to know where Psyco-cybernetics ends and
Cybernetics (related to the human being) begins. The fact that someone
somewhere has decided to coin the phrase implies that there is a border
at which the mind and rest of the bodily functions merge. Has this
realy been determined ?

Phil Knightbridge

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (11/20/88)

In article <1519@harlqn.UUCP> fn@uucp (Phil Knightbridge) writes:
>Since CYBERNETICS is the study of communication and control of
>living bodies as compared to those of mechanical or electrical

Hm, I don't think this is true.  In fact, my understanding is that
Cybernetics is exactly interested in what might be different in control
and communication in organisms vs. non-organisms.  Thus Cybernetics (and
Systems Science) speaks directly to the Origin of Life and Evolution
problems, as well as design and management of human organizations and
information systems.

>Psycho-cybernetics

I don't know exactly what the original poster was referring to, but all
I know the term "psycho-cybernetics" from is this hideous little
paperback intending to use it as somewhat similar to "the power of
positive thinking," e.g.  self-help and mind-control for the spiritually
impoverished.  I got a sinister sense of mass-marketting from it,
similar to "Dianetics".

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

lammens@sunybcs.uucp (Johan Lammens) (11/21/88)

In article <1519@harlqn.UUCP> fn@uucp (Phil Knightbridge) writes:
>Psycho-cybernetics I find a little more interesting to define but
>has clearly been included to complement the use of socio-cybernetics
>since it must relate to the control and communication of the mind/soul
>as a living entity. [...]

Why do you say the mind/soul? It is just a general phrase, or do you
mean different entities by the mind and the soul? If so, I would be
interesting in knowing exactly what.
JL.

Jo Lammens     Internet:  lammens@cs.Buffalo.EDU
               uucp    :  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!lammens
               BITNET  :  lammens@sunybcs.BITNET