[comp.ai] <7749@klaatu.rutgers.edu>

don@trsvax.UUCP (11/30/88)

>  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
>  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
>--JoSH

Let's see now, my computer can do actions (such as print a file),
make statements (it tells me when some command is illegal), exercise
judgment (isn't that what a conditional jump means?), believe knowledge
(I've got several files of "knowledge" on my hard disk), and pay
attention (it waits at the command line for an infinite amount of time
until I'm ready to tell it something).  I've never thought of my
MS-DOS machine as intelligent until now :-)

I think your definition is not a good working definition for
intelligence, at least not in the AI domain.

Don Subt			The opinions expressed above are
Tandy Corp.			strictly mine, not my employer's.
817-390-3068			...!killer!ninja!sys1!trsvax!don

josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) (12/01/88)

    >  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
    >  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
    >--JoSH

    Let's see now, my computer can do actions (such as print a file),
    make statements (it tells me when some command is illegal), exercise
    judgment (isn't that what a conditional jump means?), believe knowledge
    (I've got several files of "knowledge" on my hard disk), and pay
    attention (it waits at the command line for an infinite amount of time
    until I'm ready to tell it something).  I've never thought of my
    MS-DOS machine as intelligent until now :-)

    I think your definition is not a good working definition for
    intelligence, at least not in the AI domain.

    Don Subt

I claim that when you say your pc is making statements or
believing knowledge you are using metaphor rather than actually
using the words in the basic senses I (and Webster) meant them.
I had a reason to say "make statements" rather than "display character
strings" and "believe knowledge" rather than "store information".

If you hear that a person paid attention to X, and, believing Y,
exercised his judgement and stated Z, you understand a considerably
more complex relationship between those activities than happens
in MS-DOS (or even in unix :^).

However, it is interesting to reflect on the readiness with which
you (in common with most people) anthropomorphize the simple actions
which your pc does perform.  This leads me to believe that when
computers/programs are capable of such activities even in very
rudimentary form, people will be quite willing to call them
intelligent.

In fact, I'd be more than ready to call my computer intelligent
if it understood the single word "No!"

--JoSH

pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Mark E. P. Plutowski) (12/02/88)

In article <Nov.30.21.04.13.1988.9038@klaatu.rutgers.edu> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) writes:

    >  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
    >  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
    >--JoSH

To which Don Subt replies,
   " ...my computer can do [such] actions... "

To which Josh replies,
    >I claim that when you say your pc is making statements or
    >believing knowledge you are using metaphor rather than actually
    >using the words in the basic senses I (and Webster) meant them.

This is just the point Don was making.  *You* are using
words erroneously, while Don (et.al.) was using them precisely
within the context in which we discuss these matters on this net.
Mark Plutowski				INTERNET: pluto%cs@ucsd.edu
Department of Computer Science, C-014   	  pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego     BITNET:	  pluto@ucsd.bitnet
La Jolla, California 92093   		UNIX:{...}!sdcsvax!beowulf!pluto

josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) (12/02/88)

    >  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
    >  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
    >--JoSH

    To which Don Subt replies,
       " ...my computer can do [such] actions... "

    To which Josh replies,
    >I claim that when you say your pc is making statements or
    >believing knowledge you are using metaphor rather than actually
    >using the words in the basic senses I (and Webster) meant them.

...To which Mark Plutowski replies:
    This is just the point Don was making.  *You* are using
    words erroneously, while Don (et.al.) was using them precisely
    within the context in which we discuss these matters on this net.

If my claim was just the point Don was making, and I used the words
erroneously, then Don must have used them erroneously.  In fact, Don
was not making a great point, but a joke, complete with ":-)".
Of course, we were actually making opposite points, which is what
you meant to say.  If you were more concerned with "discussing
these matters" and less with mindless repartee, you might have
observed that there is an element of truth on both sides.

You might have seen that the difference between the two
interpretations has a lot to say about the nature of what
we call "intelligence".  Is it the degree of interconnectedness
between the simple mechanical operations that distinguishes
knowledge from data storage, judgement from "if (i>3)"?

I suggest you spend your time considering these questions.
You'll learn a lot more about intelligence that way, than
you will from introspection.

--JoSH

pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Mark E. P. Plutowski) (12/03/88)

In article <Dec.1.23.36.31.1988.9255@klaatu.rutgers.edu> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) writes:

>    >  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
>    >  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
>    >--JoSH
>
>    To which Don Subt replies,
>       " ...my computer can do [such] actions... "
>
>    To which Josh replies,
>    >I claim that ... you are using metaphor[s] rather than actually
>    >using the words in the basic senses I (and Webster) meant them.
>
>...To which I replied,
>    *You* are using words erroneously,...

>...To which Josh replies:
>... If you were more concerned with "discussing
>these matters" and less with mindless repartee, you might have
>observed that there is an element of truth on both sides.
>
>You might have seen that the difference between the two
>interpretations has a lot to say about the nature of what
>we call "intelligence".  Is it the degree of interconnectedness
>between the simple mechanical operations that distinguishes
>knowledge from data storage, judgement from "if (i>3)"?

To which I say, (I'll be short)

Granted.  You have a point. But when *you* get steamed over a
humorous (but quite possibly valid) alternative interpretation of what
you are trying to say, whose fault is it?
You should thank us for pointing out these (other) interpretations
for you!!      :-(   :-|   :-}   ;-)

Back to the subject.  Until these terms are better defined,
one can be perfectly justified in claiming that they apply to current
computers.  Perhaps this is acceptable; if not, then the definition
needs revision, since obviously from one perspective the application
to computers is (although tongue firmly planted in cheek) not so
far-fetched.  I'm looking forward to any sound and complete defintions
of:		KNOWLEDGE, BELIEF, INTUITION, INDUCTION,
		IMAGINATION, INTELLIGENCE.
believe me.

don@trsvax.UUCP (12/05/88)

>    >  Intelligence is the capacity to do actions, make statements,
>    >  exercise judgement, believe knowledge, and pay attention.
>    >--JoSH
>
>    To which Don Subt replies,
>       " ...my computer can do [such] actions... "
>
>    To which Josh replies,
>    >I claim that ... you are using metaphor[s] rather than actually
>    >using the words in the basic senses I (and Webster) meant them.
>
>...To which Mark replied,
>    *You* are using words erroneously,...

>...To which Josh replies:
>... If you were more concerned with "discussing
>these matters" and less with mindless repartee, you might have
>observed that there is an element of truth on both sides.
>
>You might have seen that the difference between the two
>interpretations has a lot to say about the nature of what
>we call "intelligence".  Is it the degree of interconnectedness
>between the simple mechanical operations that distinguishes
>knowledge from data storage, judgement from "if (i>3)"?
>
>To which Mark replies:
>
>Back to the subject.  Until these terms are better defined,
>one can be perfectly justified in claiming that they apply to current
>computers.  Perhaps this is acceptable; if not, then the definition
>needs revision, since obviously from one perspective the application
>to computers is (although tongue firmly planted in cheek) not so
>far-fetched.  I'm looking forward to any sound and complete defintions
>of:		KNOWLEDGE, BELIEF, INTUITION, INDUCTION,
>		IMAGINATION, INTELLIGENCE.
>believe me.

Well, I think this is finally getting back to my point.  Our definitions are
not complete.  My original response was showing that the definition given
for intelligence was not reasonable and was given in terms of concepts which
are understood for humans, but which are vague and open to interpretation
when applied to computers.  I am sorry if my original comments were too vague
and led to a flaming contest.

Perhaps more insight would result if we could somehow come up with new words
for machine intelligence which avoided comparisons with human intelligence.
Just a thought.

% make me stop
don't know how to make me.  Stop.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (12/09/88)

In article <193600003@trsvax> don@trsvax.UUCP writes:

 > Perhaps more insight would result if we could somehow come up
 > with new words for machine intelligence which avoided comparisons
 > with human intelligence.

Perhaps it would be constructive if we itemized some of the structural
elements of human intelligence.  We can start with the simpler
components and work our way up to higher cognitive functions over time.

First there is the issue of knowledge representation.  We know from
Lisp that a tree is isomorphic to a list of nested lists, and a great
deal of knowledge can be represented this way.  Roget's Thesaurus is
one of the largest collection of ideas arranged in outline form.  The
Dewey Decimal system is another.

More elaborate than the tree topology is the semantic network, which
can have loops.  We know from Hypercard that the semantic network is
a useful structure for navigating through a knowledge base.  And the
success of Infocom's text adventure games suggests that humans enjoy
wandering through Markov Processes, and visiting every node.

Humans also store knowledge as metaphors, parables, and analogies,
but I have yet to understand how analogical knowledge is represented.

Humans also engage in deductive and inductive reasoning, and we know
from rule-based expert systems that networks of cause and effect
relationships can be traversed like a squirrel searching a tree
for his acorn.  Forward-chaining from hypothesis to conclusion is
the easier path.  Goal-directed backward chaining is the more
interesting challenge for diagnostic expert systems.  The Resolution
Theorem Prover provides the algorithm for Prolog and related languages.

Reasoning by analogy (model-based reasoning) will probably be the next
method to succumb to the silicon thinker.  I imagine the simplest
way a computer can recognize an analogy is by comparing the topological
structure of its knowledge bases.  If two trees or two semantic
networks bear a family resemblance, it may be possible to match them
node for node and complete the analogy.  Pattern matching of large
structures may be a formidable technical challenge, but in principle
there appears to be no theoretical obstacles.

Beyond analogy we can look forward to inferential reasoning
(discovering previously unknown cause and effect pairs), and
visual reasoning (useful for ambulatory robots).  I know that
I can walk around without bumping into walls, but I'm not
sure I can explain to a computer just how I'm doing it.
Still, if MIT can have artificial insects crawling around the
labs, I suppose others don't suffer my inability share such
knowledge.

So far, nothing I have mentioned is beyond the realm of silicon.

And as far as I can tell, the human cognitive faculties which we
value for their elegance are all fair game for the silicon Golem.

--Barry Kort