[comp.ai] Human use of available intelligence.

pfry@oracle.uucp (Philip M. Fry) (12/15/88)

In article <659@htsa.uucp> fransvo@htsa.UUCP (Frans van Otten) writes:
> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) )
> [Assume] that the human brain is very powerful. 'Normal' people
>use this power quite scattered (see my article about multiple 'kinds' of
>intelligence). Idiot savants use most of their brain power for a very
>small task.
>--
>                         Frans van Otten
>                         Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam
>			 Technische en Maritieme Faculteit
>                         fransvo@htsa.uucp

This reminds me of the often-stated but never-documented comment that people
only use 15% of their available brain power.  How is this number derived?
Any good references?

Phil Fry
pfry%oracle.uucp@hplabs.hp.com
{hplabs,pyramid}!oracle!pfry

In article <516@oracle.UUCP> pfry@oracle.UUCP (Philip M. Fry) writes:

>This reminds me of the often-stated but never-documented comment that people
>only use 15% of their available brain power.  How is this number derived?
>Any good references?

I think it was just an estimate, albeit one of Einstein's estimates.

				--Blair
				  "From the people who brought
				   you 'light travels at the same
				   speed in all frames of reference.'"

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (12/16/88)

In article <516@oracle.UUCP> pfry@oracle.UUCP (Philip M. Fry) writes:
>This reminds me of the often-stated but never-documented comment that people
>only use 15% of their available brain power.  How is this number derived?
>Any good references?

I've seen recent articles that claim this is bogus.
It is apparently possible, by using some form of NMR, to measure energy
consumption in the brain non-invasively, so you can get a 3D picture of
which parts of the brain were most active while someone was working on
a problem.  There was a short note in the Science & the Citizen section
of Scientific American about this within the last four years.

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (12/18/88)

In article <868@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <516@oracle.UUCP> pfry@oracle.UUCP (Philip M. Fry) writes:
>>This reminds me of the often-stated but never-documented comment that people
>>only use 15% of their available brain power.  How is this number derived?
>>Any good references?
>
>I've seen recent articles that claim this is bogus.
>It is apparently possible, by using some form of NMR, to measure energy
>consumption in the brain non-invasively, so you can get a 3D picture of
>which parts of the brain were most active while someone was working on
>a problem.  There was a short note in the Science & the Citizen section
>of Scientific American about this within the last four years.

Several of those brain activity images have been published.  I think both
NMR and radioactively-tagged sugars have been tracked.

At least one study gave each subject problems which were within or outside
the subject's areas of expertise and compared brain activity to expertise.
The problems within the subject's area of expertise used *LESS* of the
brain than problems outside expertise, and naturally solved the former
faster and better than the latter.

Further studies are needed.  It is likely that the brain is simply used
less due to more efficient retrieval and processing.  Someone without
similar expertise probably wastes more brain energy to reach a good
answer.

(Humor follows)

Thus, the "smarter" one is at something, the less of the brain is used.
The 15% (I've heard 5%) estimate is said to be an estimate by Einstein.
Einstein is considered "very smart", thus he should have used very
little of his brain.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco