[comp.ai] VAX VMS Stations for Ai

rkaplan@pacsbb.UUCP (Randy Kaplan) (01/23/89)

Does anyone have any experience with using the DEC VAX Workstations
as a platform for AI development. I am particularly interested in
anyone having some experience with teh nhe new 3100 (or a near predecessor)
Any input would be helpful.

Also, I would like to hear some comments about the Xerox 1186 for
AI work. Is it good? Are there problems,? etc ...

Randy Kaplan
kaplan@vuvaxcom.bitnet

mshapiro@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Blind Man With A Vision) (01/25/89)

In article <524@pacsbb.UUCP> rkaplan@pacsbb.UUCP (Randy Kaplan) writes:

>Also, I would like to hear some comments about the Xerox 1186 for
>AI work. Is it good? Are there problems,? etc ...

Well, the 1186's are no longer in vigue.  Those machines have long
since been replaced by lisp machines which are much better for
this kind of work (assuming you need equipment of this sort).

Texas Instruments has a line of machines called the Explorer.  They
have been shipping a machine called the microexplorer for about a
year.  This is a complete lisp machine based on a macintosh II.

It's 2...2...two machines in one.....

Just a little input.