[comp.ai] Biological Categorization

reiter@endor.harvard.edu (Ehud Reiter) (01/18/89)

Steve Harnad writes
>"Information content" depends on resolving uncertainty. Objective
>uncertainty is a function of objective consequences: It matters
>whether this is a "mushroom" or a "toadstool," because if I miscategorize,
>I may die. To the extent that categorization is guided by objective
>consequences, it is nonarbitrary ...

The problem here is who makes up the categories?  Professional biologists
don't particularly care if a plant is poisonous or not, or if
an animal is edible - they're much more interested in organ structure,
evolutionary history, biochemical details, and so forth.  The categories
they come up with are pretty good at predicting such details, but they're
much less useful at predicting more mundane attributes like edibility.

So, the categories used by professional biologists may not be very useful
to the average language user.  This would not matter, except for the fact
that the language community at large has been trying to align its biological
categories with the ones used by biologists.  So, the community has decided
that "bird" means a member of class Aves, and thus penguins are birds,
but bats are not.  Similarly, "fish" means member of class Agnatha, Placodermi,
Chondrichthyes, or Osteichthyes.  Thus, a whale is not a fish, since it is
a member of class Mammalia.

In short, how useful modern English biological categories are to the average
language user (as opposed to the professional biologist) may be questionable.

>[Categories] may or may not be human creations, but they must be based on
>objectively observable features if they are to be reliably picked out
>(as they are).

Cladistic and evolutionary taxonomists define categories phylogenetically,
not in terms of observable physiological features (see my previous posting).
Identification procedures that are based on observable features can usually
be constructed, although these may be based on "family resemblance" ideas.
From Ernst Mayr, PRINCIPLES OF SYSTEMATIC ZOOLOGY, pg 88

	"As a heritage from the days when classification was considered
	synonymous with identification, there is an erroneous concept
	of the higher taxon, or rather the members of a higher taxon, as
	the carriers of an identifying character.  A taxon is in fact a
	group of [evolutionary] relatives, and whether or not they have
	the same "characters in common" is irrelevant.  Many taxa are based
	on a combination of characters, and frequently not a single one of
	these characters is present in all members of the taxon, yet such
	a taxon may have a sound "polythetic" basis."

["polythetic" means "Each species possesses a large (but unspecified) number
of the total number of properties of the taxon" - page 83]

I question whether an average language user is in fact capable of
always reliably identifying a "bird", a "mammal", or a "fish" (i.e. a
member of class Aves, class Mammalia, or classes {Agnatha, Placodermi,
Chondrichthyes, Osteichthyes}).  We are taught some special cases in
school (e.g. "penguins are birds, but bats are not", "whales aren't
fish, they're mammals"), but I suspect we would fail on other unusual
cases that are not taught in school (e.g. pterodactyls and ichthyosaurs).

Hilary Putnam (e.g. in "The Meaning of 'Meaning'", chap 12 in MIND, LANGUAGE,
AND REALITY) has suggested that definitions can make reference to expert
knowledge (e.g. "I don't know whether an ichthyosaur is a fish or a reptile,
but I know who to ask to find out").  This sounds like as good a suggestion as
any for how the average language user defines biological categories.

					Ehud Reiter
					reiter@harvard	(ARPA,BITNET,UUCP)
					reiter@harvard.harvard.EDU  (new ARPA)

harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad) (01/22/89)

reiter@endor.harvard.edu (Ehud Reiter) of Aiken Computation Lab
Harvard, Cambridge, MA wrote:

" [W]ho makes up the categories? Professional biologists [categories] are
" pretty good at predicting [biological] details, but much less useful at
" predicting more mundane attributes like edibility...  [H]ow useful
" modern English biological categories are to the average language user
" (as opposed to the professional biologist) may be questionable.

A persistent misunderstanding (or perhaps a divergence of interest)
seems to be running through some aspects of this discussion. In my view,
cognitive theory is not -- and should not ITSELF aspire to be -- amateur
taxonomy or amateur ontology. Cognitive theorists should be trying to
model how categories are represented in the head by testing models of
how devices manage to categorize as people do. The only face-valid
constraint on this enterprise is the data on human (and animal)
categorization performance capacity: What people can actually sort and
label, and what labels and sortings they produce.

Ordinary language users are people; biologists are people; ontologists
are people; sometimes they happen to be the same people, sometimes not.
Sometimes people's categorization performance is reliable and
all-or-none, sometimes not. Sometimes the reliability is or can be
raised to virtually 100% correct all-or-none performance (this is the
core of our categorization capacity) sometimes not. Sometimes (and this
is important) there is (temporarily or permanently) NO BASIS on which
either people OR cognitive theorists can assess whether or not a
categorization is correct, because no detectable consequences follow
from MIScategorization. This may happen (and often does) in certain
anomalous or fuzzy regions of the sample space; but if it happens for
all or most of a "category," then it is simple not a category (or not
yet a category).

So it doesn't really matter who makes up the categories. It just matters
that human performance indicates that they are there, and can be
sorted and labeled on the basis of SOMETHING. If the sorting is all-or-none
and reliable (as it is for a vast core of ordinary cognition) then, I
claim, it must have a classical (invariant featural) basis in the input
instances themselves, or, recursively, in whatever the input instances
are GROUNDED in.

And it also matters that the categories (or, more appropriately,
MIScategorization) must have consequences. This is what guides and
constrains both the categorizer and the categorization theorist. The
categories of ordinary folk are typically calibrated by one species of
consequences (usually related to sustenance and certain [partially
self-imposed] social constraints), whereas the categories of scientists
are calibrated by "empiricism" -- which is to say: the consequences of
experimental tests and the internal coherence and implications of
scientists' explanatory theories.

Sometimes folk and scientific categories square with one another,
sometimes they do not. It is not the cognitive theorist's burden to
equate them, just to model them as both being empirical instances of
human categorization performance capacity. Nor does the "English
Language" integrate them; lay and scientific categories usually simply
get different dictionary entries. In a sense, though, the scientist is
closer to having an integrated category, since he presumably has
internal representations of both, with the lay category encoded as a
special case or weaker approximation of the scientific one. (The
factors of approximation, cumulativity and convergence in
categorization are discussed in my book.) And as POTENTIAL categories
that could be formed by all human beings within one head, it is of
course the burden of the cognitive theorist to model the cumulative
represetation too.

The intuitions and introspections of ordinary folk about HOW they
accomplish their categorizations is likely to be of limited usefulness
to the cognitive theorist. The introspections of scientists may be
somewhat more useful, because they tend to be more explicit about the
features they are using, but even here they have no FACE-validity: It's
what Simon DOES that matters, not what Simon SAYS he does. But, in the
end, no "expert" will be able to do the cognitive theorist's work for
him, which is to model the internal representations that will
successfully generate human performance capacity.

" Ernst Mayr wrote:
" "A taxon is in fact a group of [evolutionary] relatives, and whether
" "or not they have the same "characters in common" is irrelevant. Many
" "taxa are based on a combination of characters, and frequently not a
" "single one of these characters is present in all members of the
" "taxon...  Each species possesses a large (but unspecified) number of
" "the total number of properties of the taxon"

The key here is that "identification procedures based on observable
features can usually be constructed." That seems to give away the store.
No symbol grounding theory (including my own) -- at least no
non-positivistic one -- would require either laymen or scientists to
speak exclusively in an observation language. But their terms must
somehow be GROUNDED in observations, otherwise how is one to say
whether or not the categorization is "correct"? (In fact, how is one
otherwise even to know what the words mean? Unless grounded somehow
is something other than words, they are just meaningless strings
of symbols. That's the symbol grounding problem. And to say that
the "solution" is simply to connect the symbols to objects "in the
right way" is simply to beg the question. For the categorization
problem IS the problem of how symbols come to be connected to objects!)

"Family resemblances" is simply a red herring. Most of this
pseudoproblem is handled by noting that disjunctive features are
perfectly valid features (which is what launched this whole
discussion). So is a complex "polythetic" rule that says "It's an X if
it has at least K out of M properties." Moreover, "common descent"
(though not always available for observation, obviously) seems a
perfectly classical "feature" even on the arbitrary view that only
shared monadic properties qualify as features.

So taxa too, to the extent that they are reliable, decidable,
all-or-none categories at all, must be decided by their consequences:
The consequences are not based on whether or not the biologist
eats, but on whether or not the taxonomic system is internally coherent and
has testable consequences. Internal consistency alone, by the way, is
certainly not good enough, as the long history of arbitrary typologies
mankind has come up with testifies (e.g., astrology, yin/yang, and the
many self-fulfilling, ad hoc, AD LIB classifications that psychologists
have proposed to us across time in place of a substantive predictive
theory); see the prior discussion on imposed vs. ad lib categorization.

" I question whether an average language user is in fact capable of
" always reliably identifying a "bird", a "mammal", or a "fish"...
" I suspect we would fail on unusual cases that are not taught in school
" (e.g. pterodactyls and ichthyosaurs).

It must be repeated that where there is no reliable categorization
performance -- or worse, no objective BASIS for reliable categorization
performance -- there simply IS NO CATEGORY (or not yet a category).
For the cognitive theorist, a category consists of the cases you CAN
sort and label, not those you can't. To ask for more, as I said, is for
cognitive theory to over-reach into the domain of empirical taxonomy or
ontology.

" Hilary Putnam... suggested that definitions can make reference to
" expert knowledge (e.g. "I don't know whether an ichthyosaur is a fish
" or a reptile, but I know who to ask to find out"). This sounds like as
" good a suggestion as any for how the average language user defines
" biological categories.

Putnam is not a cognitive theorist who is concerned with how to model
the internal mechanism that allows us to sort and label inputs. He is
a philosopher concerned with the philosopher's problem of how a name
"fixes" a referent, in the sense that "the elementary particle
physicists will say is basic in the year 2000" seems to "pick out"
something "out there" that I already have "in mind" right now when I
refer to "it." And, in a sense, the physicist's future say-so is a kind
of "feature." But it's more like the "Dumpty-says" feature discussed in
another posting in this discussion. And it's not much use without the
expert oracle. To the cognitive theorist this only indicates that some
categories cannot be sorted without someone else's help. That's not a
very interesting representation.

On the other hand, this example does bring out some interesting
aspects of the grounding problem: The higher levels of discourse
in a grounded symbol system can be quite abstract and removed
from observation, yet they may still be coherent and even informative.
As long as "fish," "reptile,"  and, say, "vertebrate," are grounded, I
can go on to talk and learn a lot about "Ichtyosaurus" knowing only
that it's a vertebrate that's either a fish or a reptile, despite
neither having ever seen one nor being able, with my current resources,
to be able to pick one out if I ever did see one. This is a powerful
and remarkable feature of grounding. But it is a flagrant flouting of
what I've dubbed the "entry-point problem" for category modeling merely
to step into the category network at an arbitrary point like this,
simply supposing oneself to be the HEIR to all the prior requisite
categories (such as "fish" and "reptile") without having worked for
them or or at least specified how THEY got there, and then trying to
say something general about category representations, such as that
"they need not be based on classical features"!

So I may defer to expert knowledge in order to talk at all about
some of my vaguer categories, but that's hardly the paradigm for
my categorization performance and its substrates. According to
my grounding theory, I must have done a lot of hard work by direct
acquaintance with sensory categories before I built up the grounded
system that now allows me to rely on experts' say-so. The theorist has
to do a lot of hard work too, before he can help himself to this
derivative high-level capability.
--
Stevan Harnad INTERNET:  harnad@confidence.princeton.edu    harnad@princeton.edu
srh@flash.bellcore.com    harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu      harnad@princeton.uucp

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/22/89)

From article <Jan.21.13.42.31.1989.10447@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad):
" ...
" No symbol grounding theory (including my own) -- at least no
" non-positivistic one -- would require either laymen or scientists to
" speak exclusively in an observation language.

You underestimate Positivism, of which in fact your theory appears to be
a species.  Here is a passage from Moritz Schlick's "Positivism and
Realism" (1932/3,in Ayer, _Logical Positivism_):  "But when do I
understand a proposition?  When I understand the meanings of the words
which occur in it?  These can be explained by definitions.  But in the
definitions new words appear whose meanings cannot again be described in
propositions, they must be indicated directly:  the meaning of a word
must in the end be _shown_, it must be _given_.  This is done by an act
of indication, of pointing; and what is pointed at must be given,
otherwise I cannot be referred to it."

" But their terms must
" somehow be GROUNDED in observations, otherwise how is one to say
" whether or not the categorization is "correct"? (In fact, how is one
" otherwise even to know what the words mean? Unless grounded somehow
" is something other than words, they are just meaningless strings
" of symbols. ...

Except that even Schlick allows grounding in *possible* experiences,
I see no notable differences from your views.  For a recent argument
against applying this approach to natural language, see Chomsky's
review of Skinner's _Verbal Behavior_.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad) (01/25/89)

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) of University of Hawaii wrote:

[...]

Although I do confess to a lingering sympathy for certain perfectly
valid features of positivism (the "P" word), as well as for
verificationism and the 18th century empiricism from which they grew (I
think positivism was rejected by psychologists just as hastily,
superficially, unselectively and uncritically as it was first accepted
by them), I am nevertheless no positivist, as is quite evident from the
representational model I am proposing. Nor am I a behaviorist (as the
above quote also seems to imply).

The positivists were concerned with MEANING (especially the meaning of
scientific statements): What statements are and are not meaningful, and
in what does their meaning consist? I, on the other hand, am concerned
with categorization: How do we SORT and LABEL categories and USE the
category labels in statements about categories? The positivists claimed
that only "observation statements" -- or statements from which
observation statements could be readily derived -- were "meaningful." I
certainly don't say anything of the sort. In fact, I happen to find
most of the very statements that the positivists wished to reject as
meaningless and metaphysical to be perfectly meaningful, with their
terms perfectly well grounded (in MY sense, i.e., consisting of the
labels of categories that were grounded in the labels of categories
that were grounded in... the labels of concrete sensory categories that
we can sort and label directly). Moreover, most of what the positivists
themselves said becomes trivially obvious and no longer "positivistic"
in any substantive sense if restated in terms of categorization rather
than meaning, as the following transcription shows:

"But when can I sort a category described by a label-string? When I can
sort categories for the labels which occur in it? These can be described
by more label-strings. But in the label-strings new labels appear
whose categories cannot again be described by still more label-strings
[on pain of infinite regress]: the members of a category must in the
end be actually sorted."

This is simply a statement of a version of what I've called "the symbol
grounding problem," plus a fairly obvious constraint on its solution in
the case of categorization. That the positivists too noticed this
problem does not mean that all solutions to it are therefore
positivistic. -- Not that the positivists even offered a solution, mind
you, for "pointing" is certainly no solution to a cognitive theorist,
who must provide the underlying causal mechanism that governs the
success of the pointing, i.e., a representational theory! Successful
pointing to the right category members is the behavioral capacity the
cognitivist must explain! The philosopher simple takes it for
granted.

Behaviorism likewise has as little to offer a cognitive theorist as
does positivism. It's not helpful to know that a subject's successful
pointing performance was "shaped" by his reinforcement history: The
cognitive theorist must come up with the internal structures and
processes that were responsible for that success, given those inputs
and that feedback from the consequences of MIScategorization. (To this
extent one can of course agree completely with Chomsky's critique of
Skinner; but the rest of Chomsky's argument against learning and empiricism
-- the celebrated "poverty of the stimulus" argument -- has so far only
been applied to and provisionally supported in the special case of
certain syntactic categories, certainly not categorization in general!)

[Among the objections to positivism was one that was directed at
empiricism as a whole and has lately been championed by Chomskian
nativists like Jerry Fodor: the problem of "abstraction" or "vanishing
intersections" -- the (alleged) fact that one cannot ground abstract
terms such as "goodness" or "truth" in the features shared by concrete
sensory instances (such as "this good boy" or "that true statement")
because NO FEATURE is shared by all the sensory instances:  their
intersection is simply empty. I, obviously, am not persuaded by this
claim (or the radical nativism about categories that accepting it would
entail -- what I've dubbed elsewhere the "Big-Bang Theory of the Origin
of Knowledge"). Let me note in passing only that this claim has often
been made, but never tested, because testing whether sensory
intersections actually vanish is not in the philosopher's line of work.
Other reasons for rejecting positivism came from some of the
Wittgensteinian considerations, likewise untested, that have surfaced a
few times in this discussion (e.g., that the category "game" has no
invariant features).]

Finally, about the "possible" experience that my theory supposedly
does not allow: On the contrary, MOST of the grounding in my theory is
based on possible rather than actual direct sorting. In fact, even
categories that are unverifiable in principle may be perfectly
well-represented categories in my theory. As an example, I
will use the category of a "peekaboo unicorn," which should be
meaningless to a verificationist. But first, let me just quickly
sketch the representational theory (for details, see the last chapter
of "Categorical Perception: The Groundwork of Cognition"):

There are three kinds of internal representations. "Iconic
Representations" (IRs) are internal analogs of the proximal projections of
objects on the receptor surfaces. IRs subserve relative discrimination,
similarity judgment, and tasks based on continuous analog
transformations of the proximal stimulus; but because they blend
continuously into one another, IRs cannot subserve categorization.

Categorical Representations (CRs) are IRs that have been selectively
filtered and reduced to only the invariant features of the proximal
projection that reliably distinguish members of a category from
whatever the confusable alternatives are in a specific "context" or
sample of alternatives. CRs subserve categorical perception and
object identification.

CRs are also associated with a label, the category name; these
names are directly "grounded" in their IRs and CRs and the
objects these pick out. The labels are also the primitives of a third
kind of representation, Symbolic Representations (SRs). SRs can be
combined and recombined into strings of symbols that form composite SRs
and likewise pick out categories, as grounded in IRs and CRs. CRs pick
out categories by direct perceptual experience; SRs pick them out by
symbolic description, with its primitive terms ultimately grounded in
perceptual representations. SRs subserve natural language.

Here is an example of how my "grounding" scheme would work. The
example is recursive on whatever the primitive categories actually are
(they are certainly not the ones I actually give here):

Suppose the category "horse" ("H") is grounded in the categorizer's
having learned to sort and label horses by direct perceptual
experience, with feedback from mislabeling. IRs have been formed, as
well as CRs that will correctly sort horses and non-horses (within a
sampled context of confusable alternatives).

Suppose the category "having stripes" ("S") is similarly grounded, with IRs
and CRs.

Suppose also that the category "having one horn" ("O") is similarly grounded,
with IRs and CRs.

With the IRs and CRs possessed so far, a categorizer could sort and
label H's, S's and O's from direct experience. Now introduce the
following Symbolic Representation: "Zebra" ("Z") = H & S. It is
evident that, armed only with the IRs and CRs in which "H" and "S" are
grounded, not only WOULD [note the "possible experience"] a categorizer
now be able to sort and label zebras correctly from the very first time he
encountered one (if he were ever to encounter one), but he also now
has a new grounded label "Z" that can henceforth enter into further grounded
SRs, in virtue of the IRs and CRs in which it is grounded.

Let's take yet another nonpositivistic step forward: "Unicorn" ("U") =
H & O. This category, being fictional, will NEVER be encountered, yet
it is perfectly well-grounded. Let's go still further: By similar
means I could define a "Peekaboo Unicorn" which is not only a horse
with one horn, but has the property that it "disappears" whenever any
"sense-organ" or "detecting device" is trained on it (all these
further categories likewise being grounded as above). Hence a
"Peekaboo Unicorn" is a category that is unobservable and unverifiable
IN PRINCIPLE, yet perfectly well-grounded in IRs, CRs, sensory
experience, and actual objects. Such is the power of a viable
grounding scheme.

So do you still think I'm a positivist?
--

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/26/89)

From article <Jan.24.15.34.00.1989.27159@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad):

I see, I think.  You had said:

" But their terms must
" somehow be GROUNDED in observations, otherwise how is one to say
" whether or not the categorization is "correct"? (In fact, how is one
" otherwise even to know what the words mean? Unless grounded somehow
" is something other than words, they are just meaningless strings
" of symbols. ...

which seemed to me to imply that one *does* know what words mean
by virtue of their grounding in observations.  Now, I know that
you don't *intend* to be proposing a theory of meaning.  And if
there is really any difference between the problem of categorization
and the problem of reference, then perhaps you're not.

In regard to my implication concerning behaviorism, I'll remark further
that I had in mind your remarks in other postings about a categorization
being significant only in regard to its consequences.  This seemed to me
to be akin to the central role ascribed to reinforcement in that
B-theory (with which I have certain sympathies, by the way).

>So do you still think I'm a positivist?

Ah, let me put it this way.  I think that the strategy of converting
some sophisticated varieties of philosophical empiricism into a
psychological theory is an interesting and plausible move to make,
whether or not that is exactly what you're doing.  Just as converting
ordinary language philosophy into linguistic theory has been a rewarding
endeavor for linguists.

Thanks for your detailed and very informative discussion.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu