[comp.ai] Minsky's Record

staff_bob@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/25/89)

>In article <1470@tank.uchicago.edu>, staff_bob@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>> It might be convenient for
>> Minsky to ignore this sound, scientific research, just as it's convenient
>> for him to ignore the fact that he hasn't made a significant contribution
>> to the field of AI since it was in its infancy, and most of the trails
>> he blazed have turned out to be dead ends, but that makes it no less
>> valid.
>
>And statements that a major figure in AI research hasn't
>made a significant contribution since the field was in its infancy are all
>the better for evidence to back them up.

I regretted making this remark almost as soon as I had posted it. By way
of excuse, I was responding to the following comment

In article <7301@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes...

>Granting that you HAVE
>the sort of right hemisphere you want to "clean up" (and I tend to agree
>with Minsky that one should be suspicious of such brain division),

and was somewhat miffed at the idea that someone should cite Minsky as a
refutation of brain laterality. As it turns out, there seems to have been
something of a misunderstanding here, so we shall let that rest.

By way of defense, I took a quick survey of some of the AI reference books
that I was able to quickly get my hands on. Here are the results:

In "The Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems Sourcebook", Hunt(1986),
the bibliography contains approximately 200 references. None cite Minsky.

In "Inside Computer Understanding", by Schank and Riesbeck, out of approximately
100 references in the bibliography, one cites Minsky. It is dated 1963 and
entitled "Steps Towards Artificial Intelligence."

In "Artificial Intelligence", by Ranan B. Banerji, the bibliography contains
81 references. The single citation of Minsky is :
Minsky and Papert, 1969. "Perceptrons: An Introduction to Computational
Geometry." MIT Press

In "An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence", out of 75 some references,
1 cites Minsky. That citation is dated 1975, and entitled "A framework for
representing Knowledge", in "The Psychology of Computer Vision" ed.
P.H.Winston.

In "The Handbook of Artificial Intelligence" we find 5 references to Minsky
out of some 400. Of these only two are less than twenty years old. These
are the reference cited above from 1975 and a publication with the same
title "A framework for representing knowledge" in J. Haugeland(ed.)
"Mind Design: Philosophy, Psychology and Artificial Intelligence".

Finally, in 'The Knowledge Frontier "Essays in the Representation of
Knowledge"', Minsky is cited 3 times in a bibliography of some 350
citations. These citations are the 1975 paper mentioned above,
a 1980 MIT Tech Report entitled "Learning Meaning" and a 1980
article in "Artificial Intelligence" entitled "Why People Think Computers
Can't".

This is not a very impressive resume for such a giant in the field,
especially if we keep in mind that someone of Minsky's stature is
capable of publishing almost at will. I'm sure that he has published
a good deal, but  in my cursory review, he doesn't seem to get
quite as much mention as some othe big names, such as Berliner,
Charniak, McCarthy, Newell, Simon, Winograd and Winston. I wish
I could have gotten my hands on Winston's latest AI book. As both
Winston and Minsky are from MIT, I would expect more mention of
Minsky in Winston's bibliography. In this review, though, it seems
that only Minsky's "Framework for representing knowledge" can be
considered any sort of contribution that is generally cited and
has been made in the last twenty years.

As for my 'dead end' statement, I would like to retract it. It was
based primarily on my apparently mistaken association of Minsky with
perceptrons. I am now advised that Minsky's primary association with
perceptrons was that he showed that they are computationally equivalent
to the modern computer, effectively killing them.

I am not attacking Minsky here, only defending myself. It should be easy
enough to see how I could form such an opinion. Dr.Minsky is no doubt
a giant in the field. Given that fact, and given all of the resources
available to him, doesn't it strike you as odd that he is so little
cited in broad scoped AI reference books? that was the basis for my
remark, which I do consider somewhat ill advised.

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (01/25/89)

It might be interesting to see who Minsky's grad students were,
and what they have accomplished.  He no doubt has had more
influence than simply his own publications.

Dave

sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) (01/26/89)

To reduce the significance of Minsky's contribution to our understandind
of automated intelligence and cognition to the number of citations which
have appeared in the recent literature sounds like something that a tenure
committee might do, but not a historian of artificial intelligence. How
many people in this group who have never read anything of Minsky's have,
nonetheless, been influenced by his ideas? I daresay nearly all. To
criticize "The Society of Mind" and his opinion on the basis of a lack of
supportive evidence might be entirely appropriate but to impeach him on the
basis of a publication record seems to be a bit narrow minded. Minsky's
contributions as a catalyst are, probably, immeasurable.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/29/89)

I was distressed to see the recent postings on this newsgroup
disparaging Minsky for insufficient publications.

First, I would like to quote a brief passage from _The Tomorrow
Makers_ by Grant Fjermedal, from his interview with Gerald
Jay Sussman:

	"I think Minsky has got a good chance of having influenced more
	people than almost anybody I know in the computer world.  Just
	take the number of heads of departments of computer science that
	are Minsky's students."  [p. 78]

Second, I would like to point out that early in my career, I wrote
extensively, noting that my superiors were grading me on my
publication record.  I later discovered that almost no one was
reading anything I wrote.  Since then, I have scaled back my
writing in favor of more one-on-one interactions which appear
to be a more effective form of communication.

Perhaps Minsky, too, has discovered more effective ways of
disseminating knowledge than by burying his ideas in pounds
of little-read papers.  Creating brilliant minds would seem
to be a greater achievement than creating brilliant documentation.
(Ask any software engineer.)

--Barry Kort

converse@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Tim Converse) (01/31/89)

	The comments I've seen in this thread have mainly addressed the
question of to what extent research contribution is necessarily reflected in
publication record.   Those on the pro-Minsky side have argued that there are
many ways that a person can influence a field other than through publication.
I agree, and Minsky is a great example of this sort of impact.

	The running assumption, though, has been that Minsky's publication
record *is* sparse.  Is this even true?  I was surprised to find four
references to Minsky in Hopcroft and Ullman's text on automata and formal
language theory, including attribution of the proof that a two-counter
machine can simulate an arbitrary Turing machine.  I suppose I shouldn't
be surprised, in that Theory and AI were probably closer and friendlier in
those days.   :-)

    -- Tim Converse--    1606 E. Hyde Park #4E,  Chicago, IL  60615
   converse@gargoyle.uchicago.edu      ..!ihpn4!gargoyle!converse
 "If it wasn't for disappointments / I wouldn't have any appointments"