[comp.ai] The prince of France is bald.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (02/02/89)

Consider the assertion,

	The prince of France is bald.

From this assertion, we can logically conclude any of
three consequents:

	The prince of France is heir apparent to the throne.

	The prince of France has no hair apparent.

	The prince of France has made a monkey out of his father
	(e.g. the king of France is a hairy parent.)

Clear?

--Barry Kort

In article <44267@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:

>	The prince of France has made a monkey out of his father
>	(e.g. the king of France is a hairy parent.)
>
>Clear?

Shouldn't that be "...prince of France's son has..."

				--Blair
				  "One should always make the pun
				   agree with its antecedent..."

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (02/07/89)

In article <2046@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

 > Shouldn't that be "...prince of France's son has..."
 >
 > 				--Blair
 > 				  "One should always make the pun
 > 				   agree with its antecedent..."

Huh -- Apparently so.

--Barry Kort

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (02/09/89)

In article <44267@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
>Consider the assertion,

>	The prince of France is bald.				(1)

>From this assertion, we can logically conclude

>	The prince of France is heir apparent to the throne.	(2)

Presumably because 'The' implies uniqueness.

I dissagree.

From someone asserting (1) we can imply that they would believe (2) (
assuming that they are following all sorts of conventions ). In the
abstarct, the sentence does not imply the latter at all ( even given a
set of axioms about royal succession and so on ).

--
	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna	AKA	rjc%uk.ac.ed.aipna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

	    "Give me a beer and money sandwich: hold the bread"
			- Waldo 'DR' Dobbs