[comp.ai] Fun with the semantics of paradox

peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) (01/04/89)

When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
Example:  This statement is false.

Infinity is like a paradox.  Consider the following number line:

     +--+--+--+-->
     0  1  2  3

From one point of view, sitting on the number line.  You start running from
the origin to the right, 1, 2, 3, ...  You go on to infinity.  However, from
another point of view, this is always considered ONE number line.  A single
defined entity.  Defined, yet undefined (unbounded), by definition.

Getting back to paradox, here's a test of your understanding:

Paradox is not this sentence.  True or false?

shani@TAURUS.BITNET (01/04/89)

In article <551@soleil.UUCP>, peru@soleil.BITNET writes:

> From one point of view, sitting on the number line.  You start running from
> the origin to the right, 1, 2, 3, ...  You go on to infinity.  However, from
> another point of view, this is always considered ONE number line.  A single
> defined entity.  Defined, yet undefined (unbounded), by definition.

Yes. A great example. You see, the whole point here is, in which logic phase do
you state your deffinition. If you have some knoladge in sets theory then you
probebly know that the set of all natural numbers is the first infinite
ordinal, an thus, it *is* a unit of the next higher ordninal. Infact, every
ordinal is the set of all smaller ordinals, and thus, the priveus ordinal is
his unit.

Now. what does this has to do with paradoxes? because a paradox is meerly an
indication for you that you are looking at things from a too low logic phase.
you can't look at the natural numbers as a unit, from the point of view of
the natural numbers! you have to do what is called a change of a secon degree,
and to pass into a higher logical phase. Ofcourse, the only way to do that
is to know that you are already there, i.e. to look at the set of natural
numbers as a subset of that higher logical phase.

O.S.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/06/89)

I continue to be stimulated by Dave Peru's roving mind.

In article <551@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) writes
about paradox:

 > When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
 > Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
 > Example:  This statement is false.

When sorting sentences into the two categories, TRUE and FALSE, paradoxes
arise with sentences that defy such categorization.  As in most paradoxes,
this one reveals that two categories are insufficient to classify
sentences.  A third category is UNDECIDABLE.  A fourth category is
MEANINGLESS.  A fifth category is AMBIGUOUS.

 > Getting back to paradox, here's a test of your understanding:
 >
 > Paradox is not this sentence.  True or false?

For now, I would categorize Dave's sentence as AMBIGOUS.  Does it
mean "This sentence is not an example of a paradoxical sentence."?
Does it mean "This sentence is not the definition of the category
of objects known as 'paradoxical sentences'."?

Raymond Smullyan speaks of "meaningless sequences of words".  Each
word in the sequence may have unambiguous meaning, but the *sequence*
may not have clear meaning.

--Barry Kort

Today's quote:	"There are two kinds of people in this world:  Those
		 who divide the world into two kinds of people and
		 those who don't."

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/08/89)

In article <551@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) writes:
>When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
>Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
>Example:  This statement is false.

On the contrary, when presented with a paradox, one's mind tends to first
call it true, then false, then true, then false as one considers it
over and over.  It is not resolvable.

A good analogy is an optical illusion.  When one looks at say, the classical
optical illusion that can look like a vase or a couple kissing, one usually
finds one's interpretation slowly oscillating between the two possibilities.
We don't know exactly what is going on at the micro level, but it is likely
that the intermediate level brain networks responsible for segmenting images
are passing up interpretations which then are conciously perceived and
accepted or rejected.  It is a very interesting question, but certainly
can be duplicated by artificial image processing systems.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/11/89)

In article <1975@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu
(Gordon E. Banks) enters the fray on Dave's paradoxical sentence:

>In article <551@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) writes:

>>When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
>>Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
>>Example:  This statement is false.

>On the contrary, when presented with a paradox, one's mind tends to first
>call it true, then false, then true, then false as one considers it
>over and over.  It is not resolvable.

I disagree.  I suggest that we consider the law of logic that trips
us up here:  Aristotle's Law of the Excluded Middle.  This law says
that a sentence must be either True or False.  There are no other
possibilities.  We now know better.  A sentence may be formally
undecidable.  A sentence may be ambiguous, admitting multiple meanings.
A sentence may be a meaningless sequence of words, admitting no meaning
whatsoever.

Now, let us consider the pathological locution, "This sentence is false."
If we abandon the Law of the Excluded Middle, we are left with the
problem of categorizing the locution in question as one of: 1) True,
2) False, 3) Undecidable, 4) Ambiguous, or 5) Meaningless.

We have already tried to categorize the sentence as either True
or False, and come to a contradiction in either case.  So we discard
those two possibilities.  The locution is apparently neither
Meaningless nor Ambiguous.  This leaves only Undecidable, which seems
consistent with everthing else we know about the pathological sentence.

This example illustrates the main idea of paradoxes:  they reveal
the incompleteness of our thinking.  The paradox is not unresolvable.
We resolve it by inventing the previously excluded middle.

Interestingly enough, Saul Kripke has developed several new branches
of logic (Modal Logic and Intuitionist Logic being the two that seem
most interesting here).  Like non-Euclidean geometry, new logics
arise by throwing away unnecessary restrictions in the Axioms of
the formal system.

Not all thinking is deductive.  Some of the most fascinating thinking
is creative.  Cantor and Conway created transfinite numbers in
different ways.  What new possibilities can you imagine if you
throw off the yoke of unnecessarily restrictive rules?

--Barry Kort

and unambiguous.

In article <43519@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>In article <1975@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu
>(Gordon E. Banks) enters the fray on Dave's paradoxical sentence:
>
>>In article <551@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) writes:
>
>>>When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
>>>Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
>>>Example:  This statement is false.
>
>>On the contrary, when presented with a paradox, one's mind tends to first
>>call it true, then false, then true, then false as one considers it
>>over and over.  It is not resolvable.
>
>I disagree.  I suggest that we consider the law of logic that trips
>us up here:  Aristotle's Law of the Excluded Middle.  This law says
>that a sentence must be either True or False.  There are no other
>possibilities.  We now know better.  A sentence may be formally
>undecidable.  A sentence may be ambiguous, admitting multiple meanings.
>A sentence may be a meaningless sequence of words, admitting no meaning
>whatsoever.

Hurm.  Astirottle rears his ponderous head.  He'd never read Rudy Carnap's
eminently unreadable "The Logical Syntax of Language."  All sentences
(ansatzen) can be reduced logically to their syntax; semantics are irrelevant
to logic.

Paradox is no different.  "I am not me" and "this ansatz is untrue"
both reduce to
     _
S => S

or, actually
      _
S <=> S

Such things are essential in developing the contextual meaning of words.
I.e., while syntax (logic) is not dependent on semantics, semantics is
dependent on syntax.  In other (invisible) words:

Sy => Se

Hand me a paradox of any sort, give me twelve years to finish Carnap's
book, and I shall decompose your paradox into it's syntactic contradictions.
It will have no semantic ones.

				--Blair __
				  "2B + 2B,
				   es ist die frage."

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/14/89)

From article <1883@buengc.BU.EDU>, by bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
" ...
" Hurm.  Astirottle rears his ponderous head.  He'd never read Rudy Carnap's
" eminently unreadable "The Logical Syntax of Language."  All sentences
" (ansatzen) can be reduced logically to their syntax; semantics are irrelevant
" to logic.

Hurm.  Where does Carnap say that??

" ...
" S <=> S
"
" Such things are essential in developing the contextual meaning of words.

Do you mean that when people say things that appear paradoxical, they
are really inviting you to find an interpretation of their words that
relieves the paradox?  If so, I agree.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

In article <2996@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <1883@buengc.BU.EDU>, by bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
>" ...
>" Hurm.  Astirottle rears his ponderous head.  He'd never read Rudy Carnap's
>" eminently unreadable "The Logical Syntax of Language."  All sentences
>" (ansatzen) can be reduced logically to their syntax; semantics are irrelevant
>" to logic.
>
>Hurm.  Where does Carnap say that??

It wasn't a quotation.  I pretty much remember that somewhere in there
was a statement to the effect that "the logic of languange is in its
syntax" and only in its syntax.

				--Blair

mirk@warwick.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (01/16/89)

Two people have individually stated in this debate that there are 5
truth values, these being True, False, Ambiguous, Undecidable and
Meaningless.  It is intuitively clear to most people what is meant by
a sentence being either true or false.  The latter three categories
are not so clear.

Am I right in thinking that an ambiguous sentence is one that can
consistently be either true or false and that an undecidable one
cannot be either?  What, then is a meaningless sentence?  Surely
either an ambiguous sentence or an inconsistent one is meaningless?
Or do people simply mean not well-formed?

To clarify what I mean above by my understanding of the terms
ambiguous and undecidable, I suspect that the sentence "This sentence
is true" is ambiguous, since it can consistently be either true or
false, and "This sentence is false" is undecidable, since it cannot be
either.  Both sentences seem to me to be meaningless.

If this is correct, then Dave Peru's original assertion, that the mind
teeters between considering a paradox to be true or false, is correct
of ambiguous sentences, but not of undecidable ones - there is an
analogy here with unstable and unstable equilibrium points of a
physical system.
Mike Taylor - {Christ,M{athemat,us}ic}ian ...  Email to: mirk@uk.ac.warwick.cs
*** Unkle Mirk sez: "Em9 A7 Em9 A7 Em9 A7 Em9 A7 Cmaj7 Bm7 Am7 G Gdim7 Am" ***

wsinkees@eutrc3.UUCP (Kees Huizing) (01/17/89)

From article <905@ubu.warwick.UUCP>, by mirk@warwick.UUCP (Mike Taylor):
> If this is correct, then Dave Peru's original assertion, that the mind
> teeters between considering a paradox to be true or false, is correct
> of ambiguous sentences, but not of undecidable ones - there is an
> analogy here with unstable and unstable equilibrium points of a
> physical system.
In my view, the analogon of an ambiguous sentence is an *indifferent*
equilibrium.

Kees Huizing
Eindhoven Univ of Techn, Dept. of Math & Comp. Sc., Pb 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven
email: mcvax!eutrc3!wsinkees.UUCP or wsdckees@heitue5.BITNET

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (01/17/89)

In article <905@ubu.warwick.UUCP> mirk@uk.ac.warwick.cs (Mike Taylor) writes:
>Two people have individually stated in this debate that there are 5
>truth values, these being True, False, Ambiguous, Undecidable and
>Meaningless.  It is intuitively clear to most people what is meant by
>a sentence being either true or false.  The latter three categories
>are not so clear.
>
>Am I right in thinking that an ambiguous sentence is one that can
>consistently be either true or false and that an undecidable one
>cannot be either?  What, then is a meaningless sentence?  Surely
>either an ambiguous sentence or an inconsistent one is meaningless?
>Or do people simply mean not well-formed?
>
>To clarify what I mean above by my understanding of the terms
>ambiguous and undecidable, I suspect that the sentence "This sentence
>is true" is ambiguous, since it can consistently be either true or
>false, and "This sentence is false" is undecidable, since it cannot be
>either.  Both sentences seem to me to be meaningless.

This has been giving me trouble, too.  Another possible interpretation is that
"meaningless" refers to sentences that are not well-formed;  but then, of
course, they are not really sentences, in which case it does not make sense
to talk of their having truth values.

In article <905@ubu.warwick.UUCP> mirk@uk.ac.warwick.cs (Mike Taylor) writes:
>Two people have individually stated in this debate that there are 5
>truth values, these being True, False, Ambiguous, Undecidable and
>Meaningless.

Wounds more like a communication problem, to me.  Like my ol' anthro
professor usedtasay:

There are three levels of truth:

	1.  The Truth;
	2.  What People Believe is the Truth;
	3.  What People Tell You They Believe is the Truth.

				--Blair
				  "...and whatever my urinalysis says..."

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (01/20/89)

In article <905@ubu.warwick.UUCP> mirk@uk.ac.warwick.cs (Mike Taylor) writes:

>Am I right in thinking that an ambiguous sentence is one that can
>consistently be either true or false and that an undecidable one
>cannot be either?  What, then is a meaningless sentence?  Surely
>either an ambiguous sentence or an inconsistent one is meaningless?
>Or do people simply mean not well-formed?

A classic example of a meaningless sentence is

	"The current king of France is bald."

( Frege, I believe ) which is neither true nor false, since there is no
king of France currently.
--
	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna	AKA	rjc%uk.ac.ed.aipna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

	    "Give me a beer and money sandwich: hold the bread"
			- Waldo 'DR' Dobbs

aam9n@uvaee.ee.virginia.EDU (Ali Minai) (01/20/89)

In article <7282@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
> In article <905@ubu.warwick.UUCP> mirk@uk.ac.warwick.cs (Mike Taylor) writes:
> > ........What, then is a meaningless sentence?  Surely
> >either an ambiguous sentence or an inconsistent one is meaningless?
> >Or do people simply mean not well-formed?
> >
> This has been giving me trouble, too.  Another possible interpretation is that
> "meaningless" refers to sentences that are not well-formed;  but then, of
> course, they are not really sentences, in which case it does not make sense
> to talk of their having truth values.

At the risk of being called naive, let me suggest that meaningless sentences
are those that obey all rules of syntax, but do not make sense in the
context of mundane experience. "Mundane experience", of course, must be defined
in subjective terms. For example, the sentence:

     The colour of her fear was a brilliant orange.

would be considered meaningless by the vast majority of people in most
contexts, though it is certainly well-formed (compare, "The colour of her
skirt was a brilliant orange"). However, in a poem, or indeed, in any
piece of literary writing, this sentence *could* make a great deal of
sense. That this definition of meaninglessness requires a context should
not put us off. After all, ambiguous and undecidable sentences too
are so only in the context of the logic defined by us. One could
convert an undecidable sentence into a decidable one by changing the nature
of the logical substrate which provides the context, e.g. by allowing
contradiction. That we do not is again because of mundane experience.
Thus, logic is merely a subset (in a loose sense) of this experience.
Sentences which are inconsistent within this logic are ambiguous or
undecidable (since logic forces us to think in combinations of 'true'
and 'false'). Sentences which are outside the domain of logic, and
contradict perceptual/linguistic convention, can be considered meaningless.
Meaninglessness cannot be defined in terms of "truth" and "falsehood",
hence the problem.

The statement (above) that "... either an ambiguous or an inconsistent
sentence is meaningless", is, in my opinion, based on a very narrow
and rigid notion of "meaning". As someone pointed out, some paradoxes
can be seen as having two co-existent meanings, only one of which can be
valid at any specific time---rather like a bistable system.

Another issue here is that most paradox arises aout of a confusion between
the language of an assertion and the meta-language by which we judge it.
For example, the paradox in, "This sentence is false" goes away as soon
as we distinguish between the two *levels* of meaning that---together---
generate it.

I hope this makes sense. But then, what does!

Ciao,
     Ali

The opposite of one great truth is another great truth.
                                                        Niels Bohr.

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (01/21/89)

In article <7282@venera.isi.edu>, smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>>To clarify what I mean above by my understanding of the terms
>>ambiguous and undecidable, I suspect that the sentence "This sentence
>>is true" is ambiguous, since it can consistently be either true or
>>false, and "This sentence is false" is undecidable, since it cannot be
>>either.  Both sentences seem to me to be meaningless.
>>
> This has been giving me trouble, too.  Another possible interpretation is that
> "meaningless" refers to sentences that are not well-formed;  but then, of
> course, they are not really sentences, in which case it does not make sense
> to talk of their having truth values.

I don't really see what the problem is about paradoxes like "This statement is
false". Many formal systems contain expressions which cannot be evaluated
within that system. Mathematics contains things like 1/0. Logic contains
things like "This statement is false". Although a logical statement, it has
no logical solution. So what? Why get worried about it?

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/21/89)

In article <7282@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP
(Stephen Smoliar) writes about the distinction between "meaningless
sentences" and "non-well-formed sentences":

 > This has been giving me trouble, too.  Another possible interpretation
 > is that "meaningless" refers to sentences that are not well-formed;
 > but then, of course, they are not really sentences, in which case it
 > does not make sense to talk of their having truth values.

I guess the semanticists can have a field day with this one.  I tried
to avoid the problem by referring to "locutions" as candidates for
classification into the categories True, False, Undecided, Ambiguous,
and Meaningless.

I have no problem defining "sentence" to exclude meaningless sequences
of words.  But we still need a category in which to toss such junk.
Ordinarily, a locution (would-be sentence) is granted the dignity
of sentencehood (innocent until proven guilty).  But such civility
does not preclude the necessity of dealing with the occasional
utterance of nonsense.

--Barry Kort

hh5s@lucifer.acc.virginia.edu (Heiko Hecht) (01/22/89)

It seems to me that the question whether we need more than two truth-values
(true - false) depends on the extent to wich we want to make logic
paradox-proof. To remove paradoxes we basically have three choices:

   1. We declare logic as not applicable to certain sentences:
      e.g. "The king of France is bald" because it has no empirical reference,
           "This sentence is false" because it is self-referencing,
           "All people are liars" because it includes the person who writes it.

   2. We introduce "new" truth values like undecidable or meaningless. The
      question is whether this is a good idea, because it becomes very fuzzy.
      My favorite is "uncomfortable":
      e.g. "You are stupid" is not true, then again it may not be false and
           it is probably undecidable even though it may be very meaningful.

   3. Meta-logic to the rescue! If 1. and 2. don't work, we can always try to
      claim that the sentence in question is actually (or includes) a
      meta-logic sentence that refers to its own truth/falseness.

But what if choices 1. to 3. don't seem to work, does anyone have suggestions
as to how to resolve the following paradox:

      "The following sentence is true"
      "The preceeding sentence is false"    ?

Heiko Hecht (hh5s@virgina.edu)       "Say yes to paradoxes"

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/22/89)

From article <479@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
" ...
" 	"The current king of France is bald."
"
" ( Frege, I believe ) which is neither true nor false, since there is no
" king of France currently.

Russell, but you're following the Strawson line.  Russell said it was
false.  I agree with Russell.

'Meaningless' is a loaded term.  There's no telling its intended
reference until you know what theory is being pushed.  (This should
not be taken to imply that it is different from other terms.)

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

fsjl@pnet12.cts.com (Fragano Ledgister) (01/24/89)

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <479@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
>" ...
>" 	"The current king of France is bald."
>"
>" ( Frege, I believe ) which is neither true nor false, since there is no
>" king of France currently.
>
>Russell, but you're following the Strawson line.  Russell said it was
>false.  I agree with Russell.
>
>'Meaningless' is a loaded term.  There's no telling its intended
>reference until you know what theory is being pushed.  (This should
>not be taken to imply that it is different from other terms.)
>
>		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

Back in the days when I was an undergraduate
studying philosophy (among other things), my
teacher used this example when teaching Russell's
epistemology.

He then went on to say that when he was a graduate
student at the Sorbonne and this phrase came up
he argued that it was true. De Gaulle, he said, was the king of France, and de
Gaulle was bald -- hence the 'present king of France'
was bald.

Since Mitterand is also bald (and since I've been hearing descrip-
tions of him as 'a de Gaulle-like figure'), perhaps
we might consider it to be true today.

UUCP: uunet!serene!pnet12!fsjl
ARPA: crash!pnet12!fsjl@nosc.mil
INET: fsjl@pnet12.cts.com

kerber@uklirb.UUCP (Manfred Kerber) (01/25/89)

Heiko Hecht writes:
>> But what if choices 1. to 3. don't seem to work, does anyone have suggestions
>> as to how to resolve the following paradox:
>>
>>       "The following sentence is true"
>>       "The preceeding sentence is false"    ?

This can be excluded by Russell's "Theory of Types" as described in "Principia
Mathematica" or in the American Journal of Mathematics p.222 ff, Vol.XXX, 1908.
In order to avoid paradoxies Russell introduces a strict hierarchy of types.
The first sentence of the above example is of type "sentence about sentence".
Then the second must be of type "sentence". On the other hand in order to make
a statement about the first, the second must be of type "sentence about sentence
about sentence", both is impossible. So such a self-reference, direct or
indirect, is excluded.
Manfred Kerber

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/25/89)

Let's play with the assertion,

	"The current king of France is bald."

If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get

	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.

Or in slightly more melifluous English,

	Every person who happens to be the current king of France
	also happens to be bald.

Now in Aristotelian Logic, the above is equivalent to the denial of
its negative:

	It is not the case that there is a non-bald individual
	who is the current king of France.

Or again, in clearer English,

	There is no one who is both non-bald and the current
	king of France.

I think we would all agree that the above statement is a meaningful
and accurate description of the French state of affairs. That is, the
assertion is True.

So if you believe in the Law of the Excluded Middle, the original
assertion and the denial of its negation have equivalent truth
values (namely True).

If this line of reasoning leaves you uneasy, consider the possibility
of throwing away the Law of the Excluded Middle.  Then we can no longer
transform an assertion into the denial of its negation, and we can
pleasantly argue over the category into which the "current bald
king of France" can be tossed.

--Barry Kort

engelson@cs.yale.edu (Sean Philip Engelson) (01/26/89)

>Heiko Hecht writes:
>>> But what if choices 1. to 3. don't seem to work, does anyone have suggestions
>>> as to how to resolve the following paradox:
>>>
>>>       "The following sentence is true"
>>>       "The preceeding sentence is false"    ?

In article <3715@uklirb.UUCP>, Manfred Kerber resolves the paradox by
introducing Russell's hierarchy of types, saying that the first is of
types "Sentence about Sentence", thus the second must thus be of type
"Sentence", but it's also "S about S".  However, if you allow infinite
types, the paradox remains, as both sentences can be of type T, where
T is defined as the fixed point of T', as follows:
	T' = "Sentence" | "Sentence about T'"
Each sentence is of type T and can thus refer to the other.  Is there
any a priori reason to exclude infinite types?

	-Sean-
Sean Philip Engelson, Gradual Student	Who is he that desires life,
Yale Department of Computer Science	Wishing many happy days?
Box 2158 Yale Station			Curb your tongue from evil,
New Haven, CT 06520			And your lips from speaking
(203) 432-0677				   falsehood.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
                -- Albert Einstein

In article <3715@uklirb.UUCP> kerber@uklirb.UUCP (Manfred Kerber) writes:
>Heiko Hecht writes:
>>> But what if choices 1. to 3. don't seem to work, does anyone have suggestions
>>> as to how to resolve the following paradox:
>>>
>>>       "The following sentence is true"
>>>       "The preceeding sentence is false"    ?
>
>This can be excluded by Russell's "Theory of Types" as described in "Principia
>Mathematica" or in the American Journal of Mathematics p.222 ff, Vol.XXX, 1908.
>In order to avoid paradoxies Russell introduces a strict hierarchy of types.
>The first sentence of the above example is of type "sentence about sentence".
>Then the second must be of type "sentence". On the other hand in order to make
>a statement about the first, the second must be of type "sentence about
>sentence about sentence", both is impossible. So such a self-reference,
>direct or indirect, is excluded.

How bout a few symbols?

1.  S1 ==> S2
           __
2.  S2 ==> S1

note the precise notation.  "==>" says that if S1 is true, then S2 is
true.  It says nothing about what happens if S1 is false.  Thus,
since S2 claims S1 is false, then we know nothing of the validity of S2.

It's not a paradox, it's incomplete.

				--Blair
				  "Any ideas?  Any at all.  About
				   anything.  C'mon, just a _little_
				   thought.  Don't be such a
				   politician.  C'mon, you can do it..."

diana@coracle.cis.ohio-state.edu (Diana Smetters) (01/27/89)

<
< 	"The current king of France is bald."
<
< If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get
<
< 	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.
<

I think that some of the controversy may stem from the alternate translation,
where:
	"The current king of France is bald."

is rendered into logic as:

 "There exists an x, such that x is the current king of France and x is bald."

due to a different theoretical analysis of definite descriptions. This
statement is false, without causing any problems with the law of the
excluded middle.

--Diana Smetters

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (01/27/89)

/
/ In order to avoid paradoxies Russell introduces a strict hierarchy of types.
/ The first sentence of the above example is of type "sentence about sentence".
/ Then the second must be of type "sentence". On the other hand in order to make
/ a statement about the first, the second must be of type "sentence about
sentence
/ about sentence", both is impossible. So such a self-reference, direct or
/ indirect, is excluded.

I'm not positive about this, but it was my understanding that that produces a
weaker system. Godel showed that a mathematical system *can* talk about the
truth (at least, about provability within itself) without self-contradiction.
That is, the above sentences can be allowed, but are given the status
"unprovable".
   Now we humans think we can do better than that; we keep saying that we can
define truth without that sort of cop-out, which is why we get so tangled by
these paradoxes...

--Z

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (01/28/89)

In article <48717@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> engelson@cs.yale.edu (Sean Philip Engelson) writes:
[refers to the paradox: "The following sentence is true"/"The preceding
sentence is false"]
>In article <3715@uklirb.UUCP>, Manfred Kerber resolves the paradox by
>introducing Russell's hierarchy of types, saying that the first is of
>types "Sentence about Sentence", thus the second must thus be of type
>"Sentence", but it's also "S about S".  However, if you allow infinite
>types, the paradox remains, as both sentences can be of type T, where
>T is defined as the fixed point of T', as follows:
>	T' = "Sentence" | "Sentence about T'"
>Each sentence is of type T and can thus refer to the other.  Is there
>any a priori reason to exclude infinite types?

You said it yourself: "the paradox remains".  (Well, an a posteriori
reason, I suppose...)  Ever since Russell showed that the system of
logic Frege had just published was self-contradictory, people have
been trying to find ways of avoiding the paradoxes of self-reference.
However, all the solutions so far seem (IMHO) pretty ad hoc.

--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (01/28/89)

In article <43843@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
>Let's play with the assertion,
>
>	"The current king of France is bald."
>
>If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get
>
>	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.
[further discussion deleted]

I would part company with you here.  Your rephrasing in logic doesnt
seem to me to mean the same.  If someone unaware of the French system
of government asked you "Is the current king of France bald?" would
you reply "No"?  I would reply "France is not a monarchy".  The statement
"The current king of France is bald" makes a false presupposition, and
if I were trying to formalise the English language, I would not want to
assign any truth-value to that sentence.

--

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (01/28/89)

>In article <43843@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
> Let's play with the assertion,
>
> 	"The current king of France is bald."
>
> If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get
>
> 	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.

And this statement, according to first order logic, is equivalent to :

	For all x, x is not the current king of france or x is bald

Which is true (when the or is understood not to be exclusive).

In article <32698@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Diana Smetters <diana@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:>

> "There exists an x, such that x is the current king of France and x is bald."
> [which is false]

Actually I think this the correct (logic) interpretation of the
statement.  The problem is that the statement implies indirectly that
there exists a current king of france, in fact the statemnet assumes
this.  When this assumption is shown to be false, the statement
becomes false (according to logic).

But this is missing the point.  Two-valued logics can not deal with the
information in this sentence.  The truthness or falsness is not the
point, it's the meaninglessness.  The english statement does not say
`there is a current king of france', nor does it say `all people are
either the current king of france or bald'.  The point is that we, as
humans, are able to form sentences like this and understand that there
is no `truth value' associated with it - it's meaningless.  of course,
if you had a many-valued logic you might be able to have values for
things like meaningless (see the first posting on this subject).

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc

In article <416@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@uea-sys.UUCP (me) writes:
>you reply "No"?

Sorry, I meant "Yes".
--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) (01/28/89)

From an absolutely non-technical, lay perspective, here are some ideas about
the truth value of "The current king of France is bald".  My intuition is
that the logic paraphrasis of the sentence is

>> "There exists an x, such that x is the current king of France and x is
>> bald."  [which is false]
(Diana Smetters <diana@cis.ohio-state.edu> in article
<32698@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>).

Compare:

	"The king of France [Louis XIV] was bald"

is true; but both

	"The current king of France is bald", and
	"The current king of France WAS (used to be) bald"

contain a linguistic presupposition (rather than an assumption)
that a king exists in France that is 'current'.  Since this is false,
the falsehood of the entire proposition lies on the fact of the non-
existence of a king in France, not on whether he is or used to be
bald (verb tense makes no difference).  (In fact, aren't we dealing with
several, embedded logical propositions?).  And since the statement

	"The current king of France"

(uttered while pointing at a portrait or photograph) is false in itself,
why claim that the whole sentence is "meaningless"? (cf. Christopher A.
Welty (weltyc@cs.rpi.edu) in article <374@rpi.edu>):

CW>The point is that we, as humans, are able to form sentences like this and
CW>understand that there is no `truth value' associated with it - it's
CW>meaningless.

In fact, I have the feeling that people understand that the whole statement is
false (fallacious) precisely because there is no king in France, that is,
precisely due to
powerful mechanisms of linguistic pressuposition.  While the statement does
not *assert* that there is a current king of France, it *presupposes* it
linguistically, in very much the same way as the statement "The sun shines"
presupposes `The sun is' (for clarity, I hope, compare the meaningless of

	The current kangkt of France is bald ,

where the presupposed proposition `The kangkt is' cannot be true nor
false.  Or not?).

Celso Alvarez
sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/29/89)

From article <19625@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez):
" ...  (In fact, aren't we dealing with several, embedded
" logical propositions?).

Yes, and together with the fact that only a non-embedded clause
can be straightforwardly denied, I think that's all there is
to it.  If in a conversation the problem sentence is stated,
and one replies 'No', this would be taken as denying that the
guy is bald.  That's because 'is bald' is predicate of the
matrix sentence -- it has to do with the *syntactic* relation
between assertion and response.  If one wishes to deny that
there is a king of France, which is also part of what was
stated, a simple 'No' won't do.

Although we haven't discussed here the definiteness of the
description 'the king of France', the above is roughly along
the lines of Russell's analysis.

I see no warrant here for distinguishing between assertion and
presupposition if this means any more than matrix versus embedded.
I think the intuition that the sentence is meaningless in the
event there is no king of France is founded on a confusion
between a sentence's being false, on the one hand, and the
syntactic resources offered by natural language for conveying
that it is false, on the other.

Mind the syntax, and the semantics will take care of itself.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/29/89)

In an article long, long ago, someone asked how to resolve
the following paradox:

 >        "The following sentence is true."
 >        "The preceeding sentence is false."

If one adopts Aristotle's Law of the Excluded Middle, then
one has that the above pair of sentences is mutually inconsistent.
But remember our discussion about Intuitionist Logic, where
we threw away the Law of the Excluded Middle, and invented
a few middle possibilities besides True and False.

Consider, if you will, the following pair of sentences:

	"The following sentence is provable."
	"The preceding sentence is unprovable."

The paradox seems to have vanished.  The first statement
can be both True and Unprovable.  The second sentence
can be both True and Provable.  (But please don't ask
me to supply the proof.  I didn't say they were provable
by *me*!)

The point is twofold:  Not all True sentences are provable
and not all unprovable sentences are False.  Thus we need
a third category: Undecidable.

We can then resolve the paradox by chastising both sentences
for overstating the case.  They could have gotten along
very nicely if they had scaled back their dogmatic assertions
along the lines of the second, more harmonious pair.

--Barry Kort

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/29/89)

In article <43843@linus.UUCP>,  I took the assertion,

 	"The current king of France is bald."

and put it into symbolic logic notation to get

 	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.

In article <32698@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Diana Smetters
<diana@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

 > I think that some of the controversy may stem from the
 > alternate translation, where:
 >
 >	"The current king of France is bald."
 >
 > is rendered into logic as:
 >
 > "There exists an x, such that x is the current king of France
 >  and x is bald."
 >
 > due to a different theoretical analysis of definite descriptions. This
 > statement is false, without causing any problems with the law of the
 > excluded middle.

Ain't it amazing how English is so ambiguous, that even educated
people can reasonably disagree on the semantics of a simple word
like "the"?

--Barry Kort

kerber@uklirb.UUCP (Manfred Kerber) (01/30/89)

In answer to Blair P. Houghton:

>How bout a few symbols?
>
>1.  S1 ==> S2
>           __
>2.  S2 ==> S1

No, this notion is not sufficient, because one has also 1.' NOT S1 ==> NOT S2,
analogous for 2. So in both cases one has a ``<==>'' instead of a ``==>''.
One gets S1 <==> NOT S1. It is a real paradox.

In answer to Sean Philip Engelson:
>In article <3715@uklirb.UUCP>, Manfred Kerber resolves the paradox by
>introducing Russell's hierarchy of types, saying that the first is of
>types "Sentence about Sentence", thus the second must thus be of type
>"Sentence", but it's also "S about S".  However, if you allow infinite
>types, the paradox remains, as both sentences can be of type T, where
>
>T is defined as the fixed point of T', as follows:
>      T' = "Sentence" | "Sentence about T'"
>Each sentence is of type T and can thus refer to the other.  Is there
>any a priori reason to exclude infinite types?
No, there is no a priori reason to exclude infinite types, but the
paradoxies of Russell can be a reason to avoid self-refential assertions.
One method is to use a strict hierarchy of types. This does not exclude
to use infinitely many types, but your fix point construction is not okay.
I see no problem to use types associated to each ``ordinal number''
inclusive omega ordinals, as e.g. by:
T(1) = "Sentence", T(i) = "Sentence about Sentence of Type T(k) with k<i"
So one can have types:
T(1),T(2),T(3),...,T(omega),T(omega+1),T(omega+2),... and so on, where
omega is the ordinal associated to N, the set of natural number.
Indeed one gets a weaker system as Andrew C.Plotkin remarks. An assertion
as "This sentence is true" is excluded without being paradox.
Manfred Kerber

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (01/31/89)

In article <19625@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) writes:
> [...] since the statement
>
>	"The current king of France"
>
>(uttered while pointing at a portrait or photograph) is false in itself,
>why claim that the whole sentence is "meaningless"?

You are adding here a context to the statement, implying that the more
formal meaning of the statement is `This is the current king of
France'.  But that, I would claim, is a COMPLETELY different statement
than just "The current king of France", because this statement is NOT
false.  It is based upon the presupposition (which, as you point out,
is the correct term) that there IS a current king of France.  But the
statement itself DOES NOT make this claim.  I claim that the
understanding of this statement requires a notion beyond that of truth
or falsehood.

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/31/89)

In article <416@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@uea-sys.UUCP (Richard Kennaway)
takes exception to my translation of "The current king of France is bald."
into symbolic logic notation  Richard writes:

 > I would part company with you here.  Your rephrasing in logic doesnt
 > seem to me to mean the same.

I am glad you see it that way, Richard, for that was the point I was
attempting to make.  The conventional symbolic logic notation does not
have the expressive power to handle pathological sentences such as
the cited example.  There are more recent advances in symbolic logic
which are worth investigating if one wishes to decide how to dispose
of the current king of France.

In addition to answering "True" or "False", a modern thinker is permitted
to respond with "Huh?" or "Mu" among other possibilities.

--Barry Kort

sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) (02/01/89)

In article <429@rpi.edu> weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) writes:
CAW> In article <19625@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu
CAW> (Celso Alvarez) writes:

CA>  the statement "The current king of France" (uttered while pointing at a
CA>  portrait or photograph) is false in itself,

CAW> You are adding here a context to the statement, implying that the more
CAW> formal meaning of the statement is `This is the current king of
CAW> France'.  But that, I would claim, is a COMPLETELY different statement
CAW> than just "The current king of France", because this statement is NOT
CAW> false.

If for you "The current king of France" is NOT false (your emphasis), then
it is true.  Its meaning is `There is a king in France at present'.  But "The
current king of France is bald" must be false, because, while there happens
to be a king, there happens to be no bald person who is the king of France.

Without adding a (temporal and spatial) context, however, "The current king
of France" is true.  It just depends on when the statement was uttered.
My point is, the context affects the truth-value of "The current king of
France" as much as it affects that of "The current king of France is bald".

CAW> I claim that the understanding of this statement requires a notion
CAW> beyond that of truth or falsehood.

I don't see any basic difference between "The current king of France"
and "There is a king in France at present" in terms of propositional
content.  The problem is that truth/falsehood is linguistically built in
presuppositions.  The typical example of linguistic presupposition (profusely
employed by lawyers and other experts of interrogation) runs along the
lines of "Did John stop drinking heavily?"; the fact that John didn't use
to drink heavily cannot be denied just with a simple "yes".

I prefer to see the truth-value of utterances in terms of native (e.g.
speakers') categories.  If the categories employed in philosophy of
language or logic contradict those of natural conversationists, speech
act theory is futile.  While most people probably recognize the
difference in the falsehood of "The current king..." and that of "The
Earth is square", if presented with the statement about the king, people
would probably say 'It's false', 'It's absurd' or 'It makes no sense'.
If forced to choose between true-false, some might say 'It's false,
because it makes no sense'.  But I doubt anyone would reason 'It's
TRUE, because it makes no sense'.

And how about the logicity of these non-sequitors (I'll translate)?:
	It was Thursday, yet it was raining ("Era jueves, y sin embargo llovia")
	Although Camoes was Portuguese, he was one-eyed ("Camoes, aunque era
			portugues, era tuerto").
or...
	It's half overcrowded in here.
	I'm mildly/fairly exhausted.
	The prisoner was sort of riddled with bullets.

Celso Alvarez
sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu

laverman@prismab.prl.philips.nl (Bert Laverman) (02/01/89)

In article <429@rpi.edu> weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) writes:
  (As well as many others)

>>	"The current king of France"
>>
>> [.. many statements about him and those statements deleted ..]

This morning in the newspaper I found an article telling that the current
claimer of the French Throne died in a skiing accident. Fate let the
(supposed) descendant of `guillotined' Louis meet a steel cable at
appropriate height.
So anyway, whatever statement about the current King of France will
alas be invalid. :-/
BTW I saw his photo: He had enough hair!

# Disclaimer:
# I don't post
# If I do, certainly not on behalf of my employer

chalmer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (david chalmers) (02/02/89)

In article <44071@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre (Barry Kort) writes:
>Consider, if you will, the following pair of sentences:
>
>	"The following sentence is provable."
>	"The preceding sentence is unprovable."
>
>The paradox seems to have vanished.  The first statement
>can be both True and Unprovable.  The second sentence
>can be both True and Provable.  (But please don't ask
>me to supply the proof.  I didn't say they were provable
>by *me*!)
>
>The point is twofold:  Not all True sentences are provable
>and not all unprovable sentences are False.  Thus we need
>a third category: Undecidable.
>
>We can then resolve the paradox by chastising both sentences
>for overstating the case.  They could have gotten along
>very nicely if they had scaled back their dogmatic assertions
>along the lines of the second, more harmonious pair.

Sorry.  It's kind of obvious that if a sentence is provable, then
it's PROVABLE that it's provable.  Because if a proof exists,
a PROOF that the proof exists just consists in displaying the
original proof.  Got that?  (There may be weird logics in which
this is untrue - for instance where a proof could 'exist' but be
unable to be constructed - but this kind of thing isn't relevant
here.)

Here are your two statements again:
     1:  Sentence 2 is provable.
     2:  Sentence 1 is unprovable.

So: if Sentence 1 above is True, then (by reading what it says)
Sentence 2 is provable.  But as we've just said, this entails
that the statement "Sentence 2 is provable" is itself provable.
But this statement is just Sentence 1!  So now we see that
Sentence 1 is provable, CONTRADICTING Sentence 2.  So, oops,
now Sentence 2 is FALSE, so it can't be provable.

Continuing on the merry-go-round of paradox...this means that
Sentence 1 has to be false.  But if that's the case, then of
course it's unprovable, so Statement 2 is TRUE after all!

Aaargh!  Stop!  I want to get off.  But in fact this yields the
only resolution of this 'paradox.'  That is:  Sentence 1 is
false (and thus unprovable), and Sentence 2 is true but unprovable.
Check it out - it's consistent.

(Now someone might say to me: haven't you just PROVED that
Sentence 1 is unprovable, so doesn't that make Sentence 2 provable
after all...but I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.)

Never underestimate the power of a paradox to bite its own tail.

                Dave Chalmers    (dave@cogsci.indiana.edu)
                Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition
                Indiana University

In article <418@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@uea-sys.UUCP (Richard Kennaway) writes:
>In article <416@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@uea-sys.UUCP (me) writes:
>>you reply "No"?
>
>Sorry, I meant "Yes".

Please take this discussion over to rec.arts.dichotomy

				--Blair
				  "Sorry, it's just that
				   We here on comp.ai are
				   meditating, and our machines
				   have better mantras than we do,
				   and we're grumpy over it."

long@hpsgrt1.HP.COM (Shyh-Lai LONG) (02/02/89)

/ hpsgrt1:comp.ai / weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) /  6:32 am  Jan 31, 1989 /

----------

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (02/02/89)

In article <3038@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <479@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
>" ...
>" 	"The current king of France is bald."
>Russell said it was
>false.  I agree with Russell.

Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I can't agree it is false
since I would not say that

	"No he isn't"

Is the natural responce.

I don't actually think it is meaningless either.

--

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (02/02/89)

In article <3781@uklirb.UUCP> kerber@uklirb.UUCP (Manfred Kerber) writes:

 > One gets S1 <==> NOT S1.  It is a real paradox.

The paradox goes away if you admit the possibility that S1
is unprovable (or undecidable).  Then we merely have
that S1 is unprovable if and only if NOT S1 is unprovable.

Therefore I have proven that S1 is unprovable.
(I have also proven that NOT S1 is unprovable.)

Any questions?

--Barry Kort

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (02/02/89)

In article <3091@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> dave@cogsci.indiana.edu
(David Chalmers) brilliantly analyzes the 2-sentence paradox:

	"The following sentence is provable."
	"The preceding sentence is unprovable."

David, a bit dizzy from his ride, steps off the merry-go-round
and concludes:

 > Sentence 1 is false (and thus unprovable),
 > and Sentence 2 is true but unprovable.

 > Check it out - it's consistent.

Actually, I think we have to clarify the meaning of "provable".
We have a Goedel sentence here which is formally unprovable
(underivable) using deduction.  But we can nevertheless see that
it is true if we permit ourselves to transcend the rules of formal
derivation.

What would happen if I edited the sentences to read:

  "The following sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."
  "The preceding sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."

We can see that the two sentences have now become identical:

  "This sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."

Or, if you prefer,

  "It is evidently the case that this sentence is not formally derivable."

And here we have the seeds of intuitionist logic.

--Barry Kort

peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) (02/02/89)

From the original posting:

>When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
>Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
>Example:  This statement is false.
>
> [bunch of stuff deleted]
>
>Paradox is not this sentence.  True or false?

The meaning of the sentence "Paradox is not this sentence" I think is
kind of neat.  Consider the sentence "This statement is false", which I
think is the same in meaning as the following two sentences:

     The next sentence is false.
     The previous sentence is true.

Anyway, the meaning of the sentence "This statement is false" creates
something we call a paradox.  The sentence "Paradox is not this sentence"
I think goes one step further.  In the first case, it's like a snake
eating its own tail.  In the second case, it's like the snake had
finished eating.

gary@cgdra.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) (02/03/89)

Article <583@soleil.UUCP> peru@soleil.UUCP (Dave Peru) says :
>When you view the meaning of a paradox, your brain is on a razor's edge.
>Depending on what side you fall, the paradox is decidedly true or false.
>Example:  This statement is false.

  What I think is happening is that people are assuming that a given English
sentence must have some kind of logical truth/falsehood to it, merely because
we can state it as a sentence.

  I can think of literally thousands of perfectly good sentences that are in
fact total nonsense, to wit:

  "Bananas are elephants."
  "All good men are Buicks."
  "Truth is defined to be that which is sugar."
  "For something to be false means that it is wavy like a reed in a gale."

  All these sentences are perfectly good from a purely syntactical viewpoint,
ie they are gramatically correct, but that says nothing about whether or not
they actually MEAN anything.

  I think this also applies to such things as:

  "This sentence is paradox."

  "The following sentence is false."
  "The previous sentence is true." (or whatever the doublet is)

  My point is that English allows the generation of thousands of sentences
that need not have any meaning. Thus, there is more to a 'correct' sentence
than just following grammatical rules.

  Does thus make sense?

Great spirits have always encountered   | First, it was Nuclear Winter. Then it
violent opposition from mediocre minds. | became the Ozone Hole. The beast has
		     - Albert Einstein  | risen again -- The Greenhouse Effect!
Gary Strand             Eigennutz geht vor Gemeinnutz            (303) 497-1398

dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers) (02/03/89)

In article <1361@ncar.ucar.edu> gary@cgdra.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) writes:
>  What I think is happening is that people are assuming that a given English
>sentence must have some kind of logical truth/falsehood to it, merely because
>we can state it as a sentence.
>
>  I can think of literally thousands of perfectly good sentences that are in
>fact total nonsense, to wit:
>
>  "Bananas are elephants."
>  "All good men are Buicks."
>  "Truth is defined to be that which is sugar."
>  "For something to be false means that it is wavy like a reed in a gale."
>
>  All these sentences are perfectly good from a purely syntactical viewpoint,
>ie they are gramatically correct, but that says nothing about whether or not
>they actually MEAN anything.

Sure these sentences mean something.  They're quite coherent to me.  The only
trouble with them is that they're FALSE.  This is a far cry from being
meaningless.

>  I think this also applies to such things as:
>
>  "This sentence is paradox."
>
>  "The following sentence is false."
>  "The previous sentence is true." (or whatever the doublet is)

Now these sentences (at least the last pair, anyway) are different.  The last
pair cannot be assigned truth-values (not even false ones), which means that
something different is going on.  This leads a lot of people to the conclusion
that they're meaningless.

For a lot of people, the reason they draw this conclusion is that (for them)
meaning is DEFINED in terms of truth-value.  Personally, I think this is
putting the cart before the horse.  Truth-value or no truth-value, these
sentences are meaningless because they are CONTENT-FREE.  They say nothing
about the world; they say nothing interesting at all about anything but their
own truth-value.  And as truth-values have to be ultimately grounded in
reality, this is equivalent to saying nothing at all.

Someone might say to me: 'in Godel's theorem, doesn't he construct some silly
sentence equivalent to "This statement is false", and use it to draw powerful
conclusions about mathematics?  So how can you say that this sentence is
meaningless?'.  But the beauty of Godel's construction is that at the SAME
TIME as the sentence is talking about itself, it is also talking about a
complex mathematical proposition (because the statement can be interpreted on
two levels).  So this seemingly "meaningless" sentence is in fact grounded in
hard reality.

So that's the lesson: meaning comes first, and truth-value second.

And I should set one thing straight.  There is absolutely no paradox about
the statement "This sentence is paradox."  The statement is simply false.

    Dave Chalmers      (dave@cogsci.indiana.edu)
    Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition
    Indiana University

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (02/04/89)

This sentence is false.

(IMHO, a paradox is a function of the language it is expressed in, and
not of the universe.  YOU may not understand it, but so what?)

Disclaimer:  "It's mine!  All mine!!!"
					- D. Duck

dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers) (02/04/89)

In article <44270@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:

>What would happen if I edited the sentences to read:
>
>  "The following sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."
>  "The preceding sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."
>
>We can see that the two sentences have now become identical:
>
>  "This sentence is formally unprovable but informally provable."

Yep, I'm with you Barry.  This sentence is almost like Godel's sentence
"This sentence is formally unprovable", with the extra twist if recognizing
it's provability at "one level up" (the level of meta-logic, if you like).

One minor problem: the sentence need not now be paradoxical or cause any
difficulities - it's quite OK for THIS sentence simply to be false.

One major problem: it would be difficult to make such a statement cause any
problems a la Godel.  To do this it would have to be grounded in a given
system (to make it really meaningful, as opposed to word play), where it
talked about itself in a concrete way.  But if you grounded it in "Level 0"
(normal) logic, then any claims it makes about "Level 1" ('informal') logic
won't have the viciously circular property that makes it bite it's own
tail.  If you ground it in Level 1, informal logic (as I think you'd
prefer), then there are no longer any problems, the statement is simply
true, and provable within the system.  (Though its truth might vary with
the formulation.)

>And here we have the seeds of intuitionist logic.

Why?  I guess the intuitionists were happy that unprovable statements
exist, because this was what they had always thought, but for different
reasons.  I think that an intuitionist would deny the validity of "informal
provability," though.

    Dave Chalmers

In article <44268@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
>In article <3781@uklirb.UUCP> kerber@uklirb.UUCP (Manfred Kerber) writes:
>
> > One gets S1 <==> NOT S1.  It is a real paradox.
>
>The paradox goes away if you admit the possibility that S1
>is unprovable (or undecidable).  Then we merely have
>that S1 is unprovable if and only if NOT S1 is unprovable.

Sure, you've shown that S1 is unprovable.  But the paradox is still there.
It still seems that S1 can be neither true nor false.  According to the
views of most mathematicians, meaningful mathematical statements must have
some truth-value, irrespective of whether or not they are provable.  Even
Godel's result never argued with this (his famous unprovable sentence G,
say, was in fact true, although the proof had to be outside its
particular system.)  To abandon the notion that a meaningful mathematical
statement must be either true or false leads one straight into the arms of
the intuitionists.  (Well, I guess there are a few of them about.)

All the problems with S1 stem from the fact that it is not meaningful - it
talks about nothing apart from it's own truth-value, so it is not grounded
in reality.  So any 'paradox' shouldn't worry us.

    Dave Chalmers

P.S.  Will people please shut up about the French royal family.  This is
really semantic games with absolutely no interesting conceptual problems
behind it all.

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (02/04/89)

From article <505@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
" In article <3038@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
" >From article <479@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
" >" ...
" >" 	"The current king of France is bald."
" >Russell said it was
" >false.  I agree with Russell.
"
" Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I can't agree it is false
" since I would not say that
"
" 	"No he isn't"
"
" Is the natural responce.

I agree that that is not the natural response.  Neither is "No, there
isn't." This has to do with syntactic constraints between assertion and
reply in conversations -- to a first rough approximation, a reply
must correspond to the main clause in what it is a reply to.  If we thus
distinguish between the sentence *being* false and the circumstances
that determine whether we can give a *reply* to the effect that it is
false, we can avoid resorting to a peculiar third truth value (in this
specific case, anyway).

So, I say, the sentence means the same as "There is a (unique) current
king of France, and he is bald," but it has a different structure and so
is not syntactically equivalent in that the two sentences admit of
different replies.

The description of such examples in terms of presuppositions and third
truth values is a pre-theoretical taxonomy.  It doesn't tell us what is
really going on, but just supplies a terminology for enumerating the
facts.

In article <3145@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> jwm@aplvax.UUCP (Jim Meritt) writes:

>This sentence is false.
>
>(IMHO, a paradox is a function of the language it is expressed in, and
>not of the universe.  YOU may not understand it, but so what?)

1.  Read R. Carnap, _The_Logical_Syntax_of_Language_, and discover that
logic is independent of the language.
        _
2.  S = S   is in symbolic-logic language, but has a depiction in every
language I know of, and is paradoxical regardless of the words or their
arrangement, so long as the syntax can be reduced to its logic, and,
extrapolating from Carnap, the language would be entirely useless if
it couldn't.

3.  No comment on what I think 'IMHO' could possibly mean to you :-)

				--Blair
				  "Everyone out of the building.
				   Walk, don't run."

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (02/07/89)

In article <17219@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> dave@duckie.cogsci.indiana.edu
(David Chalmers) writes:

 > In article <44270@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:

 > > And here we have the seeds of intuitionist logic.
 >
 > Why?  I guess the intuitionists were happy that unprovable statements
 > exist, because this was what they had always thought, but for different
 > reasons.  I think that an intuitionist would deny the validity of
 > "informal provability," though.

I was hoping to propel us into a journey of discovery of intuitionist
logic, a subject which intrigues me (mainly because I barely comprehend
it).  If I understand Kripke's ideas, intuitionist logic admits a powerful
new method of proof based on a formalization of analogy.  I suspect that
intuitionists are reasoning by analogy when they turn up those delicious
true but underivable theorems.

--Barry Kort

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (02/08/89)

In article <43843@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
>Let's play with the assertion,
>
>	"The current king of France is bald."
>
>If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get
>
>	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.
>
>Or in slightly more melifluous English,
>
>	Every person who happens to be the current king of France
>	also happens to be bald.

This is fine as far as it goes;  but, at least for the sake of argument, we
should acknowledge that this is NOT the approach which Bertrand Russell took
in his paper "On Denoting" (MIND, 1905).  There, Russell introduced a specific
denotation clause, that is, a form which explicitly stood for the denotation of
some entity;  so he was concerned with the interpretation of expressions which
used this form, such as using "C(the father of Charles II.)" to represent a
sentence about the father of Charles II.  Quoting from his paper:

	Observe that, according to the above interpretation, whatever
	statement C may be, "C(the father of Charles II.)" implies:--
	"It is not always flase of x that 'if y begat Charles II., y is
		identical with x' is always true of y,"
	which is what is expressed in common language by "Charles II.
	had one father and no more."  Consequently if this condition
	fails, EVERY proposition of the form "C(the father of Charles II.)"
	is false.  Thus e.g. every proposition of the form "C(the present
	King of France)" is false.

Most of the paper is concerned with justifying this rather convoluted
interpretation.  In a nutshell, the point is tries to make is the following:

	Thus "the present King of France," "the round square," etc.
	are supposed to be genuine objects.  It is admitted that such
	objects do not SUBSIST, but nevertheless they are supposed to
	be objects.  This is in itself a difficult view;  but the chief
	objection is that such objects, admittedly, are apt to infringe
	the law of contradiction.

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (02/08/89)

In article <43843@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
>Let's play with the assertion,

>	"The current king of France is bald."

>If we put this into symbolic logic notation, we get

>	For all x, if x is the current king of France, then x is bald.

Says who?

I certainly would not take this as a valid translation.

Apart from anything else, the second sentence contains all the problems
of the first, it is of the form

	\/x (x=King) -> bald(x)

Which is, of course equivalent to

	bald(King)

However This is just hiding the problem ( the definite reference to an
non existent entity ) behind a layer of verbage.

	"The Current King of France"

Still does not refer, so, in the above FOPC, the constant 'King' has a
somewhat strange status.

Now, if you are takeing "the current king of France" to be a description
( on a par with 'blue' ) which I can just about see, then your
translation does not mean the same thing as the original - since it now
describes a property of a set ( the set of entities which are "the
current king of France" ) rather than an individual.  This is less
problematical since an empty set is a perfectly straght forward object.

If one really doesn't want to bring in possible worlds, then I believe
that the only alternative is to say the sentence is 'odd' in some way (
meaningless being another way of saying 'odd' ). The sentence does not
have a meaning in its own right since if it was used by someone the
natural responce by a well informed English speaker would not have any
relationship to the assertion made by this sentence, one would deny the
presupposition.

--

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (02/09/89)

In article <3201@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <505@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):

>" "The current king of France is bald."		(1)

>" I would not say that

>" 	"No he isn't"					(2)

>" Is the natural responce.

>I agree that that is not the natural response.  Neither is "No, there
>isn't." This has to do with syntactic constraints between assertion and
>reply in conversations -- to a first rough approximation, a reply
>must correspond to the main clause in what it is a reply to.

But there _is_ no subordinate clause, unless we introduce one as a
crowbar to get the facts to fit the theory. A perfectly respectable
responce ( not a reply, however ) would be

	"but there _is_ no king of France"		(3)

I would never say

	"No, there isn't"				(4)

would even be a candidate, since (1) makes no _assertion_ of existence,
it just presumes it.

>If we thus
>distinguish between the sentence *being* false and the circumstances
>that determine whether we can give a *reply* to the effect that it is
>false, we can avoid resorting to a peculiar third truth value (in this
>specific case, anyway).

Ok, I don't like third truth values either, however I don't think that
the way to go is to add more and more complexity to the 'meaning' we
ascribe to an utterance. I don't think that (1) has a meaning in
isolation any more than

	" This is black "				(5)

does. Without knowing what I am pointing at you can neither agree nor
disagree with (5), you can only decide that I am foolish for saying it.

>So, I say, [ (1) ] means the same as "There is a (unique) current
>king of France, and he is bald," but it has a different structure and so
>is not syntactically equivalent in that the two sentences admit of
>different replies.

Here is a shot at trying to change your mind. ( not original by any
means ). If (1) is false ( as it must be if it has the meaning which you
give it ) then, assuming we do not throw out the law of the excluded
middle, its negation must be true - ie either

	" The current king of France is not bald "	(6)

or, more conservativly,

	" It is not true that the current king of 	(7)
	  France is bald "

Certainly I would not assert (6). If (7) is true but (6) isn't then we
must explain why they are not logically equivalent - I think most people
would say that they were. On your reading, (6) means

	" There is a unique king of France and he is	(6')
	  not bald "

whereas (7) means

	" Anyone who is king of France is either	(7')
	  not bald or shares the throne "

( I think I have done my rewriting correctly, no doubt someone will
correct me if not ).

Now, I can't give a cast iron proof that (7') is an incorrect reading,
certainly it seems rather farfetched to me.

>The description of such examples in terms of presuppositions and third
>truth values is a pre-theoretical taxonomy.  It doesn't tell us what is
>really going on, but just supplies a terminology for enumerating the
>facts.

Why is this so for presuppositions and third truth values and not for
syntactic constraints on replies?

Certainly 3-valued logics can be defined just as formally as syntactic
constraints, as can rules for deriving presuposition sets from sentences.

>		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

--
	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna	AKA	rjc%uk.ac.ed.aipna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

	    "Give me a beer and money sandwich: hold the bread"
			- Waldo 'DR' Dobbs

kerry@bcsaic.UUCP (Kerry Strand) (02/11/89)

"The current king for France" has certainly gotten his PR.

Consider the statement "The bald king is bald."

Obviously, this is a true statement.

Does it matter that there is no bald king as to whether this statement
is true or not?  Some would say that the statement is false if the
presupposition that a bald king exists is false.  Neither syntax nor
semantics is sufficient to determine the truth value of the statement;
it takes knowledge of the context of the statement to determine that.
--
Kerry Strand        kerry@atc.boeing.com     uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!kerry
Boeing Advanced Technology Center                         (206)865-3412

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (02/11/89)

From article <529@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):
\>" "The current king of France is bald."		(1)
\
\>reply in conversations -- to a first rough approximation, a reply
\>must correspond to the main clause in what it is a reply to.
\
\But there _is_ no subordinate clause, unless we introduce one as a
\crowbar to get the facts to fit the theory.

Did I say there was?  (I might resort to a crowbar, but I haven't
yet.)

\...
\Here is a shot at trying to change your mind. ( not original by any
\means ). If (1) is false ( as it must be if it has the meaning which you
\give it ) then, assuming we do not throw out the law of the excluded
\middle, its negation must be true - ie either

Correct.  Its logical negation must be true.  Neither (6) nor
(7) below is the logical negation of (1), however.  Your (7'),
or something along those lines, is the logical negation of
(1).

\	" The current king of France is not bald "	(6)
\
\	" It is not true that the current king of 	(7)
\	  France is bald "
\
\Certainly I would not assert (6). If (7) is true but (6) isn't then we
\must explain why they are not logically equivalent - I think most people
\would say that they were.

Yes, I'd say that, too.

\ On your reading, (6) means
\
\	" There is a unique king of France and he is	(6')
\	  not bald "

Yes.  The negative in the main clause of (6) goes with the corresponding
clause in (6').

\whereas (7) means
\
\	" Anyone who is king of France is either	(7')
\	  not bald or shares the throne "

No, of course it doesn't.  You've made a theory here that putting 'it is
not true that' in front of a sentence (of English) gives its logical
negation, then attributed that theory to me, apparently.  Straw man.

\>The description of such examples in terms of presuppositions and third
\>truth values is a pre-theoretical taxonomy.  It doesn't tell us what is
\>really going on, but just supplies a terminology for enumerating the
\>facts.
\
\Why is this so for presuppositions and third truth values and not for
\syntactic constraints on replies?

Syntactic constraints on replies are there anyhow -- that's just a
fact.  Describing one set of facts in terms of others -- what I
proposed -- is an explanation.  Devising a terminology for some
facts in a way that does not do this -- what you propose -- is
not an explanation.  That's the difference.

\Certainly 3-valued logics can be defined just as formally as syntactic
\constraints, as can rules for deriving presuposition sets from sentences.

I don't see what formalization has to with it.  You don't think that
bad theories are incapable of being formalized, do you?

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (02/15/89)

> I was hoping to propel us into a journey of discovery of intuitionist
> logic [...]  If I understand Kripke's ideas, intuitionist logic admits a
> powerful new method of proof based on a formalization of analogy.

Firstly: intuitionistic logic is not Kripke's invention, as this seems to
imply.  He made important contributions to it in the mid-sixties but is hardly
the dominating figure in it.  It's a formalization, done by Arend Heyting
before Kripke was born, of an approach to the foundations of mathematics due
to L. E. J. Brouwer, dating back to 1920 or so.

Secondly: it has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with analogy.  It is a logic designed
for an ontology of potentially infinite formal constructions.

It even has something surprising to say about Rolle's Theorem, but I'm not
going to say what.  Read it up.  The net is no place for detailed tutorials.

Here are some places to look to find out more about it; they get tougher, and
more recent, as you go down the list.  There is a VAST literature on it, with
connections to everything from the theory of meaning to polymorphically typed
lambda calculus.  Almost any book on the philosophy of mathematics will have
something about it (usually borrowed from Heyting).

	A. Heyting: "Intuitionism - an introduction", North-Holland (short and
		zippy but predates the modern semantics of Beth and Kripke)
	M. A. E. Dummett: "Elements of Intuitionism", Oxford University Press
		(for the philosophical issues)
	M. C. Fitting: "Intuitionistic Logic Model Theory and Forcing", North-
		Holland (good for the Beth-Kripke semantics)
	D. van Dalen: article in volume II of the "Handbook of Philosophical
		Logic", D. Reidel (maybe the best introduction for logicians)
	D. Bridges and F. Richman: "Varieties of Constructive Mathematics",
		Cambridge University Press (more specifically mathematical)
	M. Beeson: "Foundations of Constructive Mathematics", Springer-Verlag
		(huge encyclopaedia)
	J. Lambek and P. J. Scott: "Introduction to Higher Order Categorical
		Logic", Cambridge UP (for the link with lambda calculus and
		the most recent semantics for intuitionistic logic)
	A. S. Troelstra & D. van Dalen: "Constructivism in Mathematics",
		North-Holland (a new and even huger encyclopaedia; I haven't
		seen this yet)
	J. L. Bell: "Toposes and Local Set Theories", Oxford UP (I haven't
		seen this yet; covers the same ground as Lambek & Scott, but
		Bell can write much more intelligibly than Lambek)

> I suspect that intuitionists are reasoning by analogy when they turn up
> those delicious true but underivable theorems.

From an intuitionistic standpoint, this is gibberish.  Intuitionists identify
the notions of truth and proof; there is no transcendent arbiter of truth like
a set-theoretic model.  As there are many intuitionistic formalisms of varying
degrees of power, naturally they don't all prove the same things; this also
occurs in classical foundational approaches, but has different implications
for an intuitionist, as they can't measure the success of a formalism by its
degree of approximation to a divine cribsheet of mathematical truths.

Intuitionists take two different attitudes to this problem.  Brouwer thought
there was no way to close off the limits of provability - mathematical
ingenuity could always come up with new and stronger principles of proof, so
statements are never definitively underivable.  On the other hand people like
Martin-Lof think there can be a final, definitive theory of all mathematics,
and what it can't prove is meaningless (Martin-Lof said he'd found it, about
five times :-).  On either account, "true but unprovable" is a vacuous concept.

There is one place where analogy comes into (classical) undecidability, but
not *proof* by analogy.  I posted Friedman's example of a PA-undecidable
sentence to sci.logic two weeks ago; it is in a precise sense a finite
analogue of a theorem about infinite objects.  But Friedman's proof of its PA-
undecidability - a proof using principles that would make any intuitionist's
toes curl, incidentally - is not remotely an analogue of the infinitistic
original, still less a "proof by analogy", and the analogy isn't what makes
Friedman's theorem PA-undecidable.

I don't believe there *are* any proofs by analogy, anyway.  The whole point of
logic is to undercut "obvious" analogies, like that between words of identical
grammatical category, to show why you can't reason about them in the same way;
aren't "proofs by analogy" all like:
		Nobody is taller than Jim
		Jim is taller than Mary
	so:	Nobody is taller than Mary???

--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho