[comp.ai] Robots & free will

caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) (12/22/88)

>self-directed free thinker.  The question remains.  How does
>it select the subject of its contemplation?
> --Barry Kort

Do we really want this?  Then it wouldn't be long before the robot
becomes aware of inequities between robots and humans and starts contemplating
the violent overthrow of the human race :-)

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (12/23/88)

In article <3328@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) comments
on an earlier posting of mine:

 > > The question remains.  How does [a sentient robot]
 > > select the subject of its contemplation?
 > > --Barry Kort
 >
 > Do we really want this?  Then it wouldn't be long before the robot
 > becomes aware of inequities between robots and humans and starts
 > contemplating the violent overthrow of the human race :-)

And from whom would it learn the art of warfare?  (No smiley.)

--Barry Kort

Today's Quote:	"Knowledge is a key which unlocks the gates of heaven.
		 The same key unlocks the gates of hell.  He who holds
		 the key chooses the gate."

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (12/25/88)

In article <43228@linus.UUCP>, bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) writes:
> In article <3328@sdsu.UUCP> caasi@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Caasi) comments
>  > Do we really want this?  Then it wouldn't be long before the robot
>  > becomes aware of inequities between robots and humans and starts
>  > contemplating the violent overthrow of the human race :-)
> And from whom would it learn the art of warfare?  (No smiley.)

It would wander through the library one day and happen upon a work
of Sun Tzu. (Smiley.)

Seriously, do we have any reasonable hope of creating intelligent
machines that will not duplicate our militarism? That is, even if
we manage to avoid infecting their impressionable little classifier
systems with our own approaches to resolving conflicts, might they
not eventually develop along similar lines?

While humans have taken intra-species conflict and slaughter to
incomprehensible extremes, such behavior is not entirely without
precedent in the animal kingdom. Is such conflict a product of
"intelligence?" That is, as a species becomes more "intelligent,"
does its capacity and predilection for mayhem increase? If that is
true, our mechanical progeny may make us look like amateurs.

My personal, absurdly oversimplified hunch is that warfare is a
societal manifestation of the aggression that results from the action
of male sex hormones on the steroid receptors in the brain.  (Try to
imagine a militaristic society consisting entirely of women and
eunuchs. I don't think socialization accounts for everything.) Since
we have no need to model machine replication after our own,
intelligent machines might also have a crack at being more reasonable
than we can (yet) be.

Cheers/2,

Dan Mocsny

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (12/29/88)

In article <539@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
>My personal, absurdly oversimplified hunch is that warfare is a
>societal manifestation of the aggression that results from the action
>of male sex hormones on the steroid receptors in the brain.  (Try to
>imagine a militaristic society consisting entirely of women and
>eunuchs. I don't think socialization accounts for everything.)

1) some behaviour has a physiological determinant (i.e. most mood disorders)
2) aggression MAY be one of them, but it's not as well established as
   say depression.
3) gender differences in physiologically determined behaviour are even
   dodgier ground
4) I used to teach in a mixed school, where the girls could fight just
   as viciously as the boys (true also of the Bigg Market in
   Newcastle upon Tyne in England :-)).  Finally, Margaret Thatcher
   sent the UK fleet to the Falklands, Golda Meier could send in the
   boys too, and Nancy Reagan ordered the troops into Grenada :-)

On the real topic at hand, usual AI brave new world, machines more
rational than people solving all our problems, yawn yawn, yawn.  What
a narrow view of human activity these kids must have.
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (12/31/88)

In article <539@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (Daniel Mocsny) writes:

 > Seriously, do we have any reasonable hope of creating intelligent
 > machines that will not duplicate our militarism?

I resonated with Dan Mocsny's comments on the potential rise of
militarism among a race of sentient robots.  But intra-species
self-destruction does not strike me as a shining example of
intelligent behavior.  That is, Dan's nightmare could come true
if we merely manage to build semi-intelligent robots.  Or more
precisely, robots lacking in wisdom.

Dan continues:

 > That is, as a species becomes more "intelligent," does
 > its capacity and predilection for mayhem increase?

Clearly its capacity for mayhem increases with its powers of
agency.  But it's predilection for the regrettable application
of those powers depends upon its value system.  Thus, a wise
robot knows which edge of the two-edged sword can be used for
life-affirming applications of its technological prowess.

Dan concludes:

 > My personal, absurdly oversimplified hunch is that warfare is a
 > societal manifestation of the aggression that results from the
 > action of male sex hormones on the steroid receptors in the brain.

There is evidence that business and governmental decisions are
sometimes made on the basis of biochemical reactions in the male
gonads.  Perhaps sentient robots will be immune to such interference
in their rational decision making processes.  Perhaps such robots
will teach us how to behave with similar restraint.

--Barry Kort

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (01/02/89)

In article <2173@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
> 4) I used to teach in a mixed school, where the girls could fight just
>    as viciously as the boys (true also of the Bigg Market in
>    Newcastle upon Tyne in England :-)).  Finally, Margaret Thatcher
>    sent the UK fleet to the Falklands, Golda Meier could send in the
>    boys too, and Nancy Reagan ordered the troops into Grenada :-)

I'm not saying women are incapable of aggression and violence. They
are, but killing on a massive scale has historically been an
exclusively male domain. Even when a woman happens to be the
figurehead in authority and giving the orders, she is making decisions
in the context of male-dominated political structure. After all, she
is sending in the _boys_. What's more, I think I could argue, perhaps
tenuously, that the 2.5 cases you cite might be responses to male
aggression on the other side.

Perhaps a society of women could spontaneously meld themselves into an
effective fighting force, and go forth to heap destruction on each
other without the help of men.  But as we have not the slightest
precedent for such, I think Occam's razor suggests we begin with the
male brain in our search for the roots of organized violence.

I have to side with Gilbert's views on the prospects for
super-rational machines of our invention guiding our affairs with
wisdom and benevolence.  To me this sounds like a long reach, to say
the very least. I think a more realistic approach, though hardly one
I'm going to bet on, is to understand and modify the mechanisms of
violent human behavior. At least we have a thin shred of hope: already
some people, in some contexts, live much of their lives without
_deliberately_ inflicting harm on their neighbors.

Cheers,

Dan Mocsny

marty@homxc.UUCP (M.B.BRILLIANT) (01/04/89)

In article <549@uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
> In article <2173@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
> > 4) I used to teach in a mixed school, where the girls could fight just
> >    as viciously as the boys (true also of the Bigg Market in
> >    Newcastle upon Tyne in England :-)).  Finally, Margaret Thatcher
> >    sent the UK fleet to the Falklands, Golda Meier could send in the
> >    boys too, and Nancy Reagan ordered the troops into Grenada :-)
>
> I'm not saying women are incapable of aggression and violence. They
> are, but killing on a massive scale has historically been an
> exclusively male domain. Even when a woman happens to be the
> figurehead in authority and giving the orders, she is making decisions
> in the context of male-dominated political structure. After all, she
> is sending in the _boys_....

> ...... I think Occam's razor suggests we begin with the
> male brain in our search for the roots of organized violence.

The notion of programmed responses determined by natural selection
seems to me to explain these observations.  It satisfies Occam's razor,
since no new postulates are required.  We have only to believe that
behavior can be influenced (not necessarily determined) by either
genetic factors, or social factors, or both.

Let us consider first a "primitive" low-tech environment in which
infant mortality is relatively high, and survival of the species or
subspecies depends on making babies and rearing them successfully.  In
such a situation, women may fight non-lethally, but a culture that sent
women into lethal combat would be less likely to reproduce successfully
than another that sent men into lethal combat.  A successful culture
would have either socially evolved rules, or a genetic predisposition,
or both, to send males rather than females into life-threatening
situations such as hunting, defense, fire fighting, law enforcement,
etc.  Of course, in case of immediate danger, we will find that "the
female of the species is more deadly than the male," again determined
by natural selection.

Note that I have not decided whether the predisposing factor is in the
male brain, or male hormones, or in cultural bias.  But if we think in
terms of natural selection, we expect such a predisposition to exist.

Now if we consider a high-tech culture, we find overpopulation rather
than underpopulation.  So we can easily afford to use the child-bearing
sex in life-threatening occupations.  We can talk seriously about
sexual equality, because we do not have a shortage of the unique
services that women can provide and men can not.  But the social or
genetic predispositions established in earlier times are still there.

Any attempt to mimic human behavior (partly or completely) in a machine
must either include such socially or genetically determined patterns of
behavior, or carefully define "intelligence" so as to avoid having to.
On the other hand, any attempt to use machines to help plan human
behavior must include not only abstract intelligence, but also the
requirements for survival of the species.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858		Home (201) 946-8147
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!houdi!marty1

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (01/05/89)

In article <549@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (Daniel Mocsny) writes:

 > I have to side with Gilbert's views on the prospects for
 > super-rational machines of our invention guiding our affairs with
 > wisdom and benevolence.  To me this sounds like a long reach, to say
 > the very least. I think a more realistic approach, though hardly one
 > I'm going to bet on, is to understand and modify the mechanisms of
 > violent human behavior. At least we have a thin shred of hope: already
 > some people, in some contexts, live much of their lives without
 > _deliberately_ inflicting harm on their neighbors.

I suppose we can let the neuroanatomists and the psychiatrists and
the psychologists and the sociologists work on the second aproach,
while the cognitive scientists and cyberneticians and computer
engineers work toward the more distant goal.  (Ain't parallel
processing a wonderful invention?)

--Barry Kort

case@ingr.com (Bill Case) (01/17/89)

I wonder what the quantum physics folks would think about the robots
reaching a state of consciousness?  There is pretty universal agreement
among quantum physicists that the universe "manifests" itself during
measurement, and one school of physicists believe that consciousness has a
profound effect on how matter appears.  So what happens when the robots are
out there taking measurements and imposing their consciousness on "reality"?

Just a wacky comment, worded badly.

mark@UNIX386.Convergent.COM (Mark Nudelman) (01/20/89)

   Crossposted to sci.physics from comp.ai:

In article <3550@ingr.com>, case@ingr.com (Bill Case) writes:
> I wonder what the quantum physics folks would think about the robots
> reaching a state of consciousness?  There is pretty universal agreement
> among quantum physicists that the universe "manifests" itself during
> measurement, and one school of physicists believe that consciousness has a
> profound effect on how matter appears.  So what happens when the robots are
> out there taking measurements and imposing their consciousness on "reality"?

I don't think that conscious machines has any real impact on quantum
physics.  In fact (books like _The Tao of Physics_ notwithstanding),
from the viewpoint of quantum physics, the important event is the
MEASUREMENT, which need not involve consciousness per se.  For example,
consider a measuring device which detects a quantum event and prints
the result on a piece of paper.  The device is left alone in a room
for ten years and then a physicist walks in and looks at the paper.
When did the measurement take place, when the machine recorded the data
or when the physicist looks at the paper?  My understanding (which may
certainly be incorrect) is that the measurement takes place when the
data is recorded.  I'm a little unsure about exactly what it is about
the event that makes it a measurement, but I think it has something to
do with the fact that the recording is permanent; that a non-reversible
change in the world has been made as a consequence of the quantum event.

Can some real physicist expand on or correct this?

Mark Nudelman
{sun,decwrl,hplabs}!pyramid!ctnews!UNIX386!mark

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (01/21/89)

In article <3550@ingr.com> case@ingr.com (Bill Case) writes:
>I wonder what the quantum physics folks would think about the robots
>reaching a state of consciousness?  There is pretty universal agreement
>among quantum physicists that the universe "manifests" itself during
>measurement, and one school of physicists believe that consciousness has a
>profound effect on how matter appears.  So what happens when the robots are
>out there taking measurements and imposing their consciousness on "reality"?

I vaguely remember an intriguing gedanken experiment illustrating how this
"manifestation by measurement" carries over from subatomar scales to
everyday experience. It involved "Schroedinger's cat" in a box, and ended
with the conclusion that the cat only exists when the box is open.

Unfortunately I can't remember the details - can somebody out there please
post a concise description?

--
   "Language is a Virus from Outer Space"  -  William S. Burroughs
#  Nici Schraudolph                          nschraudolph@ucsd.edu  #

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/21/89)

<5782@sdcsvax.UUCP> nschraudolph@ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:

>everyday experience. It involved "Schroedinger's cat" in a box, and ended
>with the conclusion that the cat only exists when the box is open.

Not quite.  Apologies to fellow felinophiles...

The question is whether a radioactive atom undergoes fission or not in a
specific time period.  Schroedinger's gedanken experiment is to
construct a box equipped with some poison gas in a canister, the
radioactive atom, and a detector (Geiger counter).  If the atom
fissions, the (presumed infallible) detector detects it and causes the
gas to fill the box.  Now put a cat in the box, seal it up, and wait for
some time.

Is the cat dead after, say, two hours?  That is, did the atom undergo
fission or not?  The only way to answer the question is to open the box
and look (i.e., "make the measurement").

The philosophical dichotomy is that some people say that after two hours
(or whatever) either the cat REALLY IS DEAD, or it REALLY IS ALIVE, and we
just don't know which.  Other people say that UNTIL WE OPEN THE BOX, the
cat is BOTH alive AND dead (or neither alive nor dead) -- the question has
no answer, no meaning in a sense, until that measurement is made.

"Common sense" says that of course the first version is right.  The cat
is either dead or alive, whether we know which or whether we are
ignorant.  But go ahead and prove that common sense -- the act of
"proving" it is in fact the event which is postulated to precipitate a
choice ("collapse of the wave function") in the second version.

c60a-2di@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (The Cybermat Rider) (01/21/89)

In article <5782@sdcsvax.UUCP> nschraudolph@ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:
>I vaguely remember an intriguing gedanken experiment illustrating how this
>"manifestation by measurement" carries over from subatomar scales to
>everyday experience. It involved "Schroedinger's cat" in a box, and ended
>with the conclusion that the cat only exists when the box is open.
>
>Unfortunately I can't remember the details - can somebody out there please
>post a concise description?

Lesse now......

If my memory serves me correctly, it involved a cat, a "minimally
radioactive" substance and a vial of poison gas connected to a particle
detector, all in a light-proof box.  If an alpha (or whatever) particle hit
the detector, the vial would burst and the cat would die.

Erwin Schroedinger proposed that, before you open the box to find out if the
cat were alive or dead, BOTH DEAD-CAT AND LIVE-CAT EXIST IN THEORY.  It is
the opening of the box to take a peek (ie. "measurement") that makes one or
the other a reality.

On the other hand, I have a splitting headache right now, so certain details
may be way off base.  The general framework should be correct, though.

>--
>   "Language is a Virus from Outer Space"  -  William S. Burroughs
>#####################################################################
>#  Nici Schraudolph                          nschraudolph@ucsd.edu  #
>#  University of California, San Diego       ...!ucsd!nschraudolph  #
>#####################################################################
>Disclaimer:  U.C. Regents and me share no common opinions whatsoever.
			My sentiments exactly!  8-)

Adrian Ho a.k.a. The Cybermat Rider	  University of California, Berkeley
c60a-2di@web.berkeley.edu
Disclaimer:  Nobody takes me seriously, so is it really necessary?

bickel@nprdc.arpa (Steven Bickel) (01/25/89)

In article <226@UNIX386.Convergent.COM> mark@UNIX386.Convergent.COM (Mark Nudelman) writes:

> [ deleted ]
>from the viewpoint of quantum physics, the important event is the
>MEASUREMENT, which need not involve consciousness per se.  For example,
>consider a measuring device which detects a quantum event and prints
>the result on a piece of paper.  The device is left alone in a room
>for ten years and then a physicist walks in and looks at the paper.
>When did the measurement take place, when the machine recorded the data
>or when the physicist looks at the paper?  My understanding (which may
>certainly be incorrect) is that the measurement takes place when the
>data is recorded.

     The problem is entirely the fact that someone (with consciousness)
     had to design and build the measuring device.  Their presumptions
     and the interpreters (of resultant data) are always relative to
     "their" consciousness.  My mental model of electrons is one of nodal
     clouds of matter/energy fields.  It was once grain-like particles.
     Whatever I stumble across next may very likely changes all this again
     and any machines I might construct are determined by my models.
     These models appear to spread/migrate/deviate through the scientific
     communities by the processes of conscious human communication.

Steve Bickel

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (01/25/89)

In article <1374@arctic.nprdc.arpa> bickel@nprdc.arpa (Steven Bickel) writes:
>In article <226@UNIX386.Convergent.COM> mark@UNIX386.Convergent.COM (Mark Nudelman) writes:
>>
>> [ deleted ]
>>from the viewpoint of quantum physics, the important event is the
>>MEASUREMENT, which need not involve consciousness per se.  For example,
>>consider a measuring device which detects a quantum event and prints
>>the result on a piece of paper.  The device is left alone in a room
>>
>     The problem is entirely the fact that someone (with consciousness)
>     had to design and build the measuring device.

Quantum events can be recorded on devices which need not have been designed
by an intelligent entity.  I believe that one such case is tracks in mica,
formed by fission products from the decay of radioactive elements.  This is
a clear case of a quantum event recorded by a serendipitous measuring device.

If you want to really get metaphysical, here's a scary thought: the state
of the universe which we see around us is just one of many possible
intermediate states of the universe's wave function, and at the end
of time, GOD (whoever she is) takes the lid off the box containing
the universe and takes a look, and it all collapses into its final state.
[If you start a religion based on this idea, I get 10% of the gross.]

Here's the corresponding comforting thought:  It doesn't matter if
the Universe does collapse into a final state, as long as the
the wave function we currently observe contributes to the final state.
(Does it really matter which slit the photon went through?)

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"I was sad that I had no shirt, until I met a man with no torso"

bickel@nprdc.arpa (Steven Bickel) (01/26/89)

In article <9256@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:

>Quantum events can be recorded on devices which need not have been designed
>by an intelligent entity.  I believe that one such case is tracks in mica,
>formed by fission products from the decay of radioactive elements.  This is
>a clear case of a quantum event recorded by a serendipitous measuring device.

  Measurement of the existence of the track presumes the presense or
  absence of something (particulate matter?).  We will always have
  to measure our measuring devices capabilities with some form of
  consciousness. What forms of consciousness you choose appears to be
  determined by the foundation of life itself and your subsequent
  observations, assessments, and categorizations of these forms.

  The mobius strip logic of metaphysics. :-)

Steve Bickel

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (01/26/89)

>>from the viewpoint of quantum physics, the important event is the
>>MEASUREMENT, which need not involve consciousness per se.  For example,
>>consider a measuring device which detects a quantum event and prints
>>the result on a piece of paper.  The device is left alone in a room
>>
>     The problem is entirely the fact that someone (with consciousness)
>     had to design and build the measuring device.

I always thought that the measurement takes place when the robot sees it, but
the state function doesn't collapse until a person reads the robot.

This is all much more coherent if you allow each person to have his own view of
the universe. When one person makes the measurement, the function collapses for
him; but for another guy outside the room, it's still fuzzy (even more fuzzy,
really, since the state of the first person is now fuzzy too.)

Tomorrow I'll drag out my quantum-for-the-idiot book and look it up.

--Z

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (01/27/89)

For the record, I checked my quantum-for-the-idiot book. According to the author
(John Gribbin), I was wrong. The damn state function collapses if a measurement
is made, even if the measurement is made by a mindless instrument and recorded
on tape that's locked in a closet for ten years. In fact, it'll even collapse if
a measurement is *going* to be made; and if you change your mind and turn off
the instrument *after* the event but *before* the measurement, you'll find that
the function outguessed you and didn't collapse...

--Z

lrm5110@tahoma.UUCP (Larry R. Masden) (02/01/89)

From article <kXrvssy00V4DE1Kldw@andrew.cmu.edu>,
by ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin):

> For the record, I checked my quantum-for-the-idiot book. According to the
> author (John Gribbin), I was wrong. The damn state function collapses if a
> measurement is made, even if the measurement is made by a mindless instrument
> and recorded on tape that's locked in a closet for ten years. In fact, it'll
> even collapse if a measurement is *going* to be made; and if you change your
> mind and turn off the instrument *after* the event but *before* the
> measurement, you'll find that the function outguessed you and didn't collapse.

What does all this mean?  I'm not a physicist but I would guess that a
mindless instrument collapses the state function of a quantum event *for
itself only* when it makes a measurement and records the result on paper
tape.  Until you look at it, the paper tape record is also represented
by a superposition of quantum states.  Just because something is big
dosn't mean that quantum physics don't apply . . . just like "what's his
name's" cat.
--
Larry Masden       	      Voice: (206) 237-2564
Boeing Commercial Airplanes   UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!lrm5110

cam@edai.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) (02/01/89)

In article <IXrfm6y00XoWM0gFtA@andrew.cmu.edu> ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) writes:
>>>from the viewpoint of quantum physics, the important event is the
>>>MEASUREMENT, which need not involve consciousness per se.  For example,
>>>consider a measuring device which detects a quantum event and prints
>>>the result on a piece of paper.  The device is left alone in a room
>>>
>>     The problem is entirely the fact that someone (with consciousness)
>>     had to design and build the measuring device.
>
>I always thought that the measurement takes place when the robot sees it, but
>the state function doesn't collapse until a person reads the robot.

If the wave function collapses only when observed by consciousness,
then one could devise from this an experimental test of whether a robot
- or indeed any artificial or natural creature - had consciousness or
not. On the other hand, one could regard this as the reductio ad
absurdum of the notion that state function collapse happens at conscious
observation.

Chris Malcolm
Department of Artificial Intelligence

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (02/05/89)

/
/ What does all this mean?  I'm not a physicist but I would guess that a
/ mindless instrument collapses the state function of a quantum event *for
/ itself only* when it makes a measurement and records the result on paper
/ tape.  Until you look at it, the paper tape record is also represented
/ by a superposition of quantum states.  Just because something is big
/ dosn't mean that quantum physics don't apply . . .

That makes perfect sense, and it's a pity that it doesn't work that way...

(This discussion is out of place on this board by now, but what the heck.) The
experiment in question has a point source of light shining on two slits. If you
put a measuring device on each slit, then as each photon goes past, it will show
up either at slit A and slit B, then go through and hit approximately beyond
that slit (with a possibility of bending left or right, because of the nature of
waves going through slits. The result is two overlapping fuzzy bright spots on
the wall. Quantum weirdness 1: If you do *not* put measuring devices on the
slits, the photon will go 50 / 50 through *both* slits, have a chance of bending
left or right from each one, and the two "halves" will interfere, producing two
overlapping spots streaked with light and dark bands.
    Now change the wall to a movable screen. Add some lenses so that the waves
coming from the two slits are bent inwards somewhat. If the screen is in, you
have the second experiment; if the screen is out, the photons go past it and
diverge somewhat, so you *can* tell which slit each photon came from -- you're
back to the first experiment.
    According to QM, the photon does the appropriate thing depending on where
the screen is. Even if you pull it out *after* the photon has passed the slits,
it still gets it right. Accckkk.

--Z

(The book I got this from is _Beyond Schroedinger's Cat_, by John Gribbin.)

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (02/09/89)

In article <263@edai.ed.ac.uk> cam@edai (Chris Malcolm) writes:
>In article <IXrfm6y00XoWM0gFtA@andrew.cmu.edu> ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) writes:
>>I always thought that the measurement takes place when the robot sees it, but
>>the state function doesn't collapse until a person reads the robot.
>
>If the wave function collapses only when observed by consciousness,
>then one could devise from this an experimental test of whether a robot
>- or indeed any artificial or natural creature - had consciousness or not.

Neat idea - but how are you going to check the result of your consciousness
test? Look at it? You do that, and naturally you'll find the wave function
collapsed - because you looked!

--

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (02/11/89)

/>If the wave function collapses only when observed by consciousness,
/>then one could devise from this an experimental test of whether a robot
/>- or indeed any artificial or natural creature - had consciousness or not.
/
/Neat idea - but how are you going to check the result of your consciousness
/test? Look at it? You do that, and naturally you'll find the wave function
/collapsed - because you looked!

I shouldn't have brought up the phrase "the function collapses" -- it seems to
be getting in the way. The point of the quantum observer-observed interaction is
that the experiment is affected by whether "someone is looking" (whether an
observation has been made.) This is true even if the observation has trivial
effect on the observed. (For example, an observation can be made as to whether
an electron has gone past. That observation will affect the electron; *but*
experiments can be designed in which the *amount* of effect is too small to
screw things up.)
   In other words, the film in the "two-slit experiment" will show fringes if
the slits were not watched individually, and no fringes if they were. Looking at
the film afterward has nothing to do with anything; the state function has
already collapsed. The experiment measured whether the collapse happened to the
particle before the slits or after them.

--Z

tbone@hubcap.UUCP (Anthony H Behrens) (02/17/89)

Subject: Re: Robots & free will (was Re: The limitations of logic)
Newsgroups: comp.ai

this is an experiment to seee iif it will work.
		oops!(sp)
				: