[comp.ai] Summary: References on cooking expert systems

yk@a.nl.cs.cmu.edu (Yasusi Kanada) (03/05/89)

Here's the summary of the replies to my question.  I thank everyone
who replied to it.

[Question]
I'm interested in expert systems on cooking, i.e., planning of cooking,
advising for it, etc.  I'm interested not only in REAL expert systems, but
also researches on them.  I heard there are some papers on cooking
expert, but the only information I know now is that Texas Instruments made
an expert system for Campbell Soup.  The detail is found in the following
book.

Harmon, Mans, Morrissey: Expert Systems, Tools & Applications,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1988.

Thanks in advance.

-Yasusi Kanada
 yk@a.nl.cs.cmu.edu

[Replies]
Several persons mentioned to Kris Hammond's thesis.  The following
mail is from one of them.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 89 22:36:29 CST
From: converse%tartarus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Tim Converse)

    My advisor, Kris Hammond, did his thesis on a project called CHEF,
(at Yale University -- comment by YK)
which planned Szechwan recipes.  This was not a 'real' system, i.e.
was done for theoretical reasons rather than practical ones.   His
theoretical interest is in 'case-based planning', which is the process
of transforming old plans to fit new problems.   This system started
off with a base of recipes, and then created new ones in response to
requests for particular dishes.

   The title of his book is "Case-based planning: Viewing planning as
a memory task", and it's published by Academic Press.

    -- Tim Converse--    1606 E. Hyde Park #4E,  Chicago, IL  60615
   converse@gargoyle.uchicago.edu      ..!ihpn4!gargoyle!converse
 "If it wasn't for disappointments / I wouldn't have any appointments"
----------------------------------
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 12:59:33 -0500
From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM

I recall two people who have used this domain recently for
dissertations: henry kautz (Phd at Rochester in 87, not at bell labs)
and Jim Schmolze (Phd at UMASS, now at Tufts).  Also there was some
early NL work by a fellow named Scaggs (around 72 or 73).    I also
think that Brad Goodman (BBN) is working on a NSF sponsored project
with someone at BTL in this domain.  Tim
-------------------------------------
From: feit@sunybcs.uucp (Elissa Feit)
Date: 1 Mar 89 19:43:45 GMT

In article <4380@pt.cs.cmu.edu> yk@a.nl.cs.cmu.edu (Yasusi Kanada) writes:
>I'm interested in expert systems on cooking, i.e., planning of cooking,
>advising for it, etc.  I'm interested not only in REAL expert systems, but

At last year's ACL, Robin Karlin presented a paper, "Defining the
Semantics of Verbal Modifiers in the Domain of Cooking Tasks"
(available in the Proceedings of the 26th Annual Meeting of the
Association for Computational Linguistics, June 1988), in which she
described parts of the nat'l language interface to a computer system
operating within the domain of cooking tasks. Perhaps you can follow
up on that.

Elissa  Feit	(feit@cs.buffalo.edu // feit@sunybcs.bitnet)