[comp.ai] MetaDiscussion on the Chinese Room Style of Argument

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (03/08/89)

In article <18287@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> dave@cogsci.indiana.edu
(David Chalmers) writes:

 > Can we talk about something else now?

Good idea, Dave.  Let's open the floor for nominations.

I propose a discussion on the persuasive power of such curious
lines of reasoning as "proof by vigorous assertion", and the
effectivenes of such rhetorical techniques as "invective utterance."

I wonder if there is a superior method of response besides satire
or silent contempt.

Remember, the goal of the dialectic process is convergence toward
durable and timeless truths, with preservation of dignity as a
subordinate goal.

Or not.

--Barry Kort

"I don't entertain other people's ideas.  Their ideas entertain me."

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/10/89)

From article <46028@linus.UUCP>, by bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort):
> In article <18287@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> dave@cogsci.indiana.edu
> (David Chalmers) writes:
>
>  > Can we talk about something else now?
>
> Good idea, Dave.  Let's open the floor for nominations.
>
> I propose a discussion on the persuasive power of such curious
> lines of reasoning as "proof by vigorous assertion", and the
> effectivenes of such rhetorical techniques as "invective utterance."
>
> I wonder if there is a superior method of response besides satire
> or silent contempt.

A few methods come to mind:

	PROOF BY INTUITIVE OBVIOUSNESS:  "It's obvious to the most
		casual observer that..."

	PROOF BY DIVINE INSPIRATION:  This method of proof is often
		supported by Vigorous Assertion.  Also known as
		Proof by Invocation of Authority.  Particularly
		effective if the person arguing is the authority
		invoked.

	PROOF BY THE QUESTION'S EXISTENCE:  The idea is "If it
		weren't true, you wouldn't be asking me to prove
		it.  QED."  Not applicable in all situations.

	PROOF BY EXERCISE LEFT TO THE READER:  Often invoked by
		textbooks.  Also known as Proof by Graduate Student.
		Supported by Intuitive Obviousness and Invocation
		of Authority.

	PROOF BY EXAMPLE:  "My dog's got no nose.  (How's he smell?)
		Awful.  Therefore, all dogs smell awful."

	PROOF BY SPACE/TIME CONSTRAINT:  "I have a marvelous proof
		of this theorem, but unfortunately it's too large to
		fit in this small margin."  Or, "I don't have time
		to go into the gory details right now, but..."

Now that I think about it, all of these have been used in the Chinese Room
argument already.  Perhaps I should have stuck with silent contempt.

"Trees don't fall in the forest when no one's around to hear them.  Sometimes
they just happen to be on the ground when you see them again."

--
Jeff Erickson     \  Internet: krazy@claris.com          AppleLink: Erickson4
Claris Corporation \      UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!krazy

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/11/89)

In article <46028@linus.UUCP>, bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) writes:
> I propose a discussion on the persuasive power of such curious
> lines of reasoning as "proof by vigorous assertion", and the
> effectivenes of such rhetorical techniques as "invective utterance."
>
> I wonder if there is a superior method of response besides satire
> or silent contempt.

Vote for the creation of talk.philosophy.interminable, and then vote
that the discussion be moved there.
Or comp.ai.red-herrings (an entirely different kettle of fish).

The previous set of topics (Chinese rooms, Turing Tests, Symbol
Grounding) bears approximately the same relation to AI that Zeno's
Paradox bears to automobile engineering.  (Think about it.)