[comp.ai] Dualisms for A.I.

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (03/11/89)

In article <2484@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk writes:

> So, the five dualisms:
> 	1) Platonic - i.e. forms versus temporal objects
> 	2) Descartian - including the 10c AI version
> 	3) Ethical - fact and value statements are not reducible to a
>		     common form or means of verification
> 	4) Explanatory - human actions are not 'caused' like natural events,
>		     they involve reasons and motives
> 	5) Epistemological - das ding is nicht das ding an sich

Surely the dualism most relevant to A.I. is mind vs. body?  The
fundamental assumption of Frankensteinian A.I. is that a mind can
exist without a body!

See the second half of _Gestalt Therapy_ for a good catalogue of basic
dualisms and what harm they do.

-:-
	"Six bells by the dog watch."
	"I didn't know watches had bells," said Water Polo.
	"I didn't know dogs had watches," said Isfahani. "It must
	   be an old sea dog."
				--American Pie
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
gls@odyssey.att.COM

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (03/15/89)

In article <820@odyssey.ATT.COM> gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:
>Surely the dualism most relevant to A.I. is mind vs. body?  The
>fundamental assumption of Frankensteinian A.I. is that a mind can
>exist without a body!

No, 3 and 4 are especially relevant as 3 may mean no machine ethics
and 4 means no 'objective' data about outside-the-lab human behaviour.
Like Skinner's behaviourists, AI is full of physics-envy types who
wade in to the study of human behaviour with no idea of the limits of
scientific method.  Dualism 4 is highly relevant as an education to
these types. Winograd and Flores was largely an exploration of the
implications of Dualism 4 for 'intelligent' systems design.  Note
though that the book is very derivative, and there are much better
commentaries on the standpoints discussed (go and ask a social
theorist, or a philosopher if you can find one who isn't a full time
logician).

>> 	3) Ethical - fact and value statements are not reducible to a
>>		     common form or means of verification
>> 	4) Explanatory - human actions are not 'caused' like natural events,
>>		     they involve reasons and motives
>>

>See the second half of _Gestalt Therapy_ for a good catalogue of basic
>dualisms and what harm they do.

fuller reference please?
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (03/21/89)

In article <2592@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
> In article <820@odyssey.ATT.COM> gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:
> >Surely the dualism most relevant to A.I. is mind vs. body?  ...
> >
> No, 3 [Ethical] and 4 [Explanatory] are especially relevant as 3 may mean
> no machine ethics and 4 means no 'objective' data about outside-the-lab
> human behaviour.

In this sense, I agree that dualities 3 and 4 matter consequentially
and as motives for A.I. research.  Science as a destroyer of guilt is
carried out by scientists who want to destroy their guilt.

I still think that if A.I. researchers understood all the consequences
of "mind vs. body," they might lower their ambitions!

> >See the second half of _Gestalt Therapy_ for a good catalogue of basic
> >dualisms and what harm they do.
>
> fuller reference please?

Frederick S. Perls, Ralph F. Hefferline, and Paul Goodman, _Gestalt
Therapy: Excitement and Growth in the Human Personality,_ Bantam, New
York (1977).  The original edition was published by Julian Press in the
50's.  The copyright is now held by Crown Publishers, Inc.  I do not
know what you would have to do to find a copy in Scotland!

Gestalt therapy is a  system of psychotherapy based on a novel inter-
pretation of the principles of cognition.  The book is in two parts.
The first describes some exercises and the theory behind them.  The
second describes some of the theory's cultural and social implications.

-:-
	"Professor!  The computers are on strike!"
	"What?  How dare they!" [Throws window open.]
	Mechanical voices: "More ... input! ... Less ... output!"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
gls@odyssey.att.COM