[comp.ai] Object oriented languages for expert systems

clutx.clarkson.edu (collins anthony g,,,) (03/22/89)

Can anybody tell me  about their experience with object oriented languages
to write expert systems ? The task that I am doing involves simulation
of a plant and fault diagnosis. How tough is it to combine object oriented
approach with rule-based approach ? Is it even necessary to do so ?
I also require good graphics capability. Has anybody worked with Nexpert
Object? If so would you recommend it for this task ?

Please Email to k500@clutx.clarkson.edu
Thanks in advance.

Arun

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (03/23/89)

In article <2717@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> k500@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu.UUCP
writes:

 > Can anybody tell me  about their experience with object oriented languages
 > to write expert systems ? The task that I am doing involves simulation
 > of a plant and fault diagnosis. How tough is it to combine object oriented
 > approach with rule-based approach ? Is it even necessary to do so ?
 > I also require good graphics capability. Has anybody worked with Nexpert
 > Object? If so would you recommend it for this task ?

Together with an undergraduate from the University of Connecticut,
I developed a DigiTalk Smalltalk color-animated model of a local
area network, complete with fault conditions and an integrated
Prolog diagnostic system.  The student made it a summer intern
project plus senior design project.  It was a lot of fun, and
took about 20 work-weeks of effort, spread over a 9-month period.

Prolog is well-integrated into DigiTalk Smalltalk.

--Bary Kort