[comp.ai] Q. re: suspension of common-sense reasoning during dreams

silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu (03/22/89)

In dreaming, common-sense reasoning is usually suspended, also the
general "physics" of the world model invoked during a dream is quite
different from the waking model.
I am interested in any NET-speculation re: this phenomenon and its
interpretation from the standpoint of a-i.

wcalvin@well.UUCP (William Calvin) (03/23/89)

See Allan Hobson's recent book, THE DREAMING BRAIN (1988), highly rec.

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/24/89)

In article <1368@hub.ucsb.edu> silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>In dreaming, common-sense reasoning is usually suspended, [...]
>I am interested in any NET-speculation re: this phenomenon and its
>interpretation from the standpoint of a-i.

REM sleep has been shown to promote memory consolidation.

Set metaphoric_mode=on

If your evaluator were an independent parallel process continuously
evaluating whatever is pointed at by the current data pointer, you
could get some pretty strange values during garbage collection.

-David West

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (03/27/89)

In article <1368@hub.ucsb.edu> silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>In dreaming, common-sense reasoning is usually suspended, also the
>I am interested in any NET-speculation re: this phenomenon and its
>interpretation from the standpoint of a-i.

In _Parallel_Distributed_Processing_ Volume 1, the chapter on Boltzman
Machine learning algorithm (I think one author was T. Sejnowsky)
briefly presents an allegory between the "unclamped" learning period
of a Boltzman machine and dreaming.  As I am far, far away from my
copy of PDP, and it is habitually out of my school's library, could
someone else fill in the details.

-Thomas Edwards