[comp.ai] humans and understanding

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (04/01/89)

fransvo@htsa.uucp (Frans van Otten) writes:
> This discussion has degraded into a fight between two groups with different
> viewpoints:
>
>   1. Humans have some mysterious powers that are responsible for their
>      having a mind.  Animals might also have these powers, maybe even
>      martians.  This property might be inherent to the building material;
>      carbon-hydrogen has it, Si doesn't.
>
>   2. Understanding etc. are properties which arise from a certain way to
>      process information.  The information theory is what matters, not
>      the way it is implemented.  If we humans can do it using our hardware
>      (neurons etc), then computers are able to do this using theirs.

If this is accurate, it explains why I have trouble choosing sides in
this debate!  I believe that understanding always links one kind of
experience with another--that it is by nature metaphoric.  The most
obvious example is words and reality.  Computers have only one reality--
they do not *need* to understand.  To bring up a theological example, God
understands nothing because She knows everything.

By the same token, Gilbert's statement is not convincing the deter-
minists in this group because it is weaker than it needs to be.  We
can apply the idea of measurable "performance" *only* to tools.  It has
no meaning when applied to people, except insofar as we regard people as
tools.

Popular culture does indeed influence us to regard people as tools.  For
example, the typical magazine article about how our schoolchildren are
falling behind in studies implies that they must be enabled to catch
up--for *our* benefit.  The public is an illusion created by print media.
Media like Netnews undermine that illusion.

-:-
	  A disciple of another sect once came to DRESCHER as he was
	eating his morning meal. "I would like to give you this
	personality test," said the outsider, "because I want you
	to be happy."

	  DRESCHER took the paper that was offered to him and put it
	into the toaster, saying, "I wish the toaster to be happy too."

						--A. I. Koans
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
gls@odyssey.att.COM