[comp.ai] The universe and stuff.

dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers) (04/03/89)

In article <5754@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Sanjay Singh) writes:
>Agreed, if anything, the existence of higher intelligences creates
>entropy faster than anything else.

Well, in a sense higher intelligence (and high-level structures in general)
tend to work against the inexorable flow towards entropy, by magnifying
low-level randomness into high-level patterns.  Both of these carry information,
but at the high level it is much more robust than at the low level.  High-level
structures allow information to be conserved and transmitted - witness human
brains, books, computers - thus providing relief against the Second Law, at
least in the short term.

Of course, you can't get something for nothing.  The Second Law is a corollary
of the fact that it is impossible for new information to be created in a
deterministic universe.  So where does high-level information, such as that
found in people and books come from?  The answer is: from low-level randomness.
Such randomness carries information, but only in a very tentative form.  But
occasionally this randomness gets magnified into information at the top-level
(for instance, by genetic mutation or by creative acts in the mind).
At the top level, natural selection can apply (whether to organisms or to
ideas), ensuring that the information which is left around is not a random
mess but is in fact selected for quality.

But, unfortunately, the Second Law tells us that this can't go on forever.  In
the end the supply of low-level information will be eaten up and turned into a
homogeneous mass, and the top level will have no information to feed upon.  At
this stage the top level will turn into an almost empty, deterministic system.
(Shades of Symbolic AI!)  Of course, steps will be taken to preserve as much
information as possible at the top level.  In fact, this is already happening.
The printing press and more recently the computer have seen to that.

>This may sound misplaced, but can anyone CONCISELY and PRECISELY
>explain the strong and weak anthropic principles. What are the implications,
>if any, for intelligent machines? Is this more related to the
>idea of life, or intelligence? ie. Does the anthropic principle say
>something exclusively about life, or exclusively about intelligence, or
>both?

The Weak Anthropic Principle:
  Human life exists.  From this fact we can draw conclusions about the way the
  universe is, and about the laws of physics, in an a priori fashion without
  the need for direct observation.

For instance:  from the fact that we are here today we can conclude that the
laws of physics must be such as to allow the evolution of complex systems.  We
can also conclude, for instance, that the laws of gravity are such that a planet
will not always plunge directly into the sun.  There are less trivial examples,
but I can't think of any offhand.

The Strong Anthropic Principle:
  The laws of physics *must* be such as to allow the development of intelligent
  life.

In a sense, this is obvious.  Along the lines of the Weak Anthropic principle:
we are here, so the universe must be structured so that we could get here.  But
the SAP claims more.  It says, almost, that a universe without intelligent life
is absurd.  If there existed such a universe, there would be no-one to know
about it, and so in what sense could it exist?

There has also been proposed:

The Final Anthropic Principle:
  The universe must be such as to allow the existence of an *infinite* amount
  of intelligent life.

Don't ask me about this one.  I could never understand the justification for it.

The most common application of Anthropic Principles is to argue against
religious arguments, and similar lines of thought.  "Wow, isn't it *amazing*
that the universe allows the existence of intelligent life.  For instance, if
certain physical constants had been just 2% different, then the proton would be
unstable and things could never get off the ground.  There must be something
out there just making these things go right."

To which the answer is:  "No.  If these things had been different, we wouldn't
be here to talk about them.  As it happens, we are here to talk about them.
Therefore we shouldn't be surprised that the universe is this way."

[By analogy:  Somebody might say "Isn't it amazing that Earth has just the
right temperature and atmosphere to support human life?"  Of course this is not
amazing.  If Earth had been different we would not be here to talk about it.
But presumably life could still have evolved on other planets around the
universe, maybe only a few, but all of them going "Wow, isn't it amazing that
*this* planet..."]

The Anthropic Principle may be tautological, but it is still interesting.
Various people have tried to argue against it, but in its Weak form it is
impregnable.  The Strong form is interesting but open to question.

The AP can be viewed as a part answer to that age-old question, and still the
second (or third) most burning philosophical question that exists: Why, of all
the possible universes, are we in this one?  Don't the laws of physics seem a
little arbitrary?  The AP says: well, we couldn't have just any old set of
laws of physics.  The laws have to be such that intelligent life can exist
(otherwise we wouldn't be here to talk about it).  For all we know, that rules
out most possible sets of laws.  Some even go so far to claim that ours is the
*only* possible consistent universe in which intelligent life can develop, but
I think that this is implausible.

  Dave Chalmers
  Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition
  Indiana University