[comp.ai] lexical items

silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu (04/06/89)

   Frans van Otten, Algemene Hogeschool, Amsterdam, in a paragraph
   dealing with the ongoing Searle topic, uses the following phrases:

 sic! >> It passes the TT.  This means: a human being can't tell the
 sick!>> difference between a Chinaman [SIC!] and The Room.  The behaviour

  His use of English suggests to me that he knows it well enough to be
  conscioussly or subconsciouslly aware that "chinaman" is a pejorative,
  a term invoking contempt.  Racism has no place in scholarship, buster!
  Holland is a small country which once had a big empire (Indonesia etc.)
  where some of the worst colonial abuses were committed!

fransvo@htsa.uucp (Frans van Otten) (04/07/89)

In article <1408@hub.ucsb.edu> silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:

>  Frans van Otten, Algemene Hogeschool, Amsterdam, in a paragraph
>  dealing with the ongoing Searle topic, uses the following phrases:
>
>sic! >> It passes the TT.  This means: a human being can't tell the
>sick!>> difference between a Chinaman [SIC!] and The Room.  The behaviour
>
> His use of English suggests to me that he knows it well enough to be
> conscioussly or subconsciouslly aware that "chinaman" is a pejorative,
> a term invoking contempt.  Racism has no place in scholarship, buster!
> Holland is a small country which once had a big empire (Indonesia etc.)
> where some of the worst colonial abuses were committed!

I hereby apologise for using the word Chinaman.  I did not know this word
has the value you describe.  I am not interested in propagating racism.  I
used it probably because I read it in some other article in this newsgroup.
Apparantly I should have written "Chinese person" or something like that.

Also I hope there will be no follow-ups on Silber's article or on this one;
this is comp.ai, not alt.flame.  I would like to thank Silber for his
correction of my vocabulary.  Hopefully the next time he will use a more
friendly way.
--
	Frans van Otten
	Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam