[comp.ai] Confusion symbols and representations

usenet@xyzzy.UUCP (Usenet Administration) (05/03/89)

From: throopw@bert.dg.com (Wayne A. Throop)

Very well, Ray and I were indeed using "symbol" and "represent" differently.
I'll adopt Ray's meanings for this posting.  (I leave to another day the
puzzling characterization of discrete representation as "analog".)

Ray adds a further illustration of what distinguishes symbols for
representations:

> [..A..] direct [..causal..] relationship is what I mean by "represent".
> The level
> of the alcohol in a thermometer "represents" temperature.  The "40" printed
> next to the alcohol column "symbolizes" a quantity.

Given this, I contend that computers represent the world around them
every bit as much as humans do.  Take for example the bit pattern stored
in the usenet facesaver archives which represents my face.  The magnetic
spots on disk (or whatever) have a causal relationship to shape and visual
properties of my face.  Those magnetis spots represent me every bit as
much as the patterns of firing neurons in some human's visual cortex
represent me when that human looks at me.  There is a causal relationship
from me, through the camera, through various processing, ending in magnetic
spots every bit as valid as the causal relationship from me, through an eye,
through various processing ending up in (likely to be discrete) patterns
in the visual cortex.

Turning to other computer senses, we have the ascii representation of
keystrokes which transmit my keystrokes to readers of this newsgroup.
These are representations as Ray explains the term.  Even the pattern of
dots on your screen is a ('nother) representation of my keystrokes, because
there is still a causal relationship.  Symbolism only comes in when the
reader assigns arbitrary (to the "physics" or "causality" of the situation)
meaning to these bits upon reading the screen.

Note that none of this shows any reason why sufficently complicated
computer systems cannot be intelligent entities, capable of assigning
symbolic meaning to abstract or concrete objects just as humans do.

--
If at first you doubt, doubt again.
               --- William Bennett

GA.CJJ@forsythe.stanford.edu (Clifford Johnson) (05/04/89)

In article <5620@xyzzy.UUCP>,
usenet@xyzzy.UUCP (Usenet Administration) writes:
>> [..A..] direct [..causal..] relationship is what I mean by "represent".
>> The level
>> of the alcohol in a thermometer "represents" temperature.  The "40" printed
>> next to the alcohol column "symbolizes" a quantity.
>
>Given this, I contend that computers represent the world around them
>every bit as much as humans do.

To step further into the infinite regress of mirrors that comprise
"authentic" forms of (direct) representation, I would further
contend that a person can represent a computer -- and indeed does
so when his actions are driven by rules based on computer output.