[comp.ai] Provided: biblio-ref for Chinese Room

ejs@orawest.ARPA (05/04/89)

In article <526@dlt1.uucp> vendelma@dlt1.uucp (Ronald Vendelmans) writes:
>Recently there was a discussion on the net about Searle's Chinese Room.
>... I'm not sure whether the discussion started as a reaction
>on some article in a magazine, for example.
>... can anyone give me references to
>written material about the Chinese Room problem (other than Searle's
>article itself)? Any information is welcome.
>Many thanks in advance!
>Ronald
>Ronald Vendelmans           vendelma@dlt1.uucp
>BSO/Research
>PO BOX 8348
>NL 3503 RH Utrecht          phone ..31/0 30 911911
>The Netherlands

Besides any article that Searle wrote about the "problem"
(thought experiment is more like it, or perhaps straw man)
Searle wrote a short book that presents much of the motivation
for his position. It was published in the U.S. about 5 years ago,
and is called, I think _Minds, Brains, and Science_.
I am not sure about the last word, and there may be a subtitle;
but that should be enough to help you find it.
It's about 120 pages, in trade paperback, as I recall.

If you are really interested, then I think you ought to read the book,
to get a clearer idea of what the starting position was.
I say starting position, because much of the discussion rather
diverged from the original statement of the issues.

Happy hair-splitting!

John Sebes

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (05/06/89)

In article <520@orawest.UUCP> orawest!ejs@unix.sri.com (e john sebes) writes:
>Searle wrote a short book that presents much of the motivation
>for his position. It was published in the U.S. about 5 years ago,
>and is called, I think _Minds, Brains, and Science_.

My critical review of Searle's book appeared as:

Rapaport, William J. (1988), ``To Think or Not to Think''
_Nous_ 22:  585-609.
			William J. Rapaport
			Associate Professor of Computer Science
			Co-Director, Graduate Group in Cognitive Science
			Interim Director, Graduate Research Initiative
                       	                  in Cognitive and Linguistic Sciences

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464