[comp.ai] Plan 5 for Inner Space - A Sense of Mind.

Gordon@ucl-cs.UUCP (06/19/89)

The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
Intelligent System with the following characteristics. The system
is to run in real time and be portable. Memory and processing units
must be in the same enclosure, run on low power and not overheat.
(a) Full colour binocular vision, with motion perception.
(b) Speech processing and speech synthesis.
(c) Natural language ability :-
    (1) Semantic ability
    (2) Translation.
    (3) Ability to summarise.
    (4) Humour (optional).
(d) Learning ability.
(e) Ability to control a large number of servo mechanisms, with strength
    and sensitivity.
(f) Other tasks, as yet unspecified, but the system must be able
    to cope with extra requirements, as and when the need arises,
    using characteristic (d).

Queries: Time to completion? Cost?

cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (06/21/89)

[  Sorry. Couldn't resist.  :-)  ]

In article <300@ucl-cs.UUCP> Gordon@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
>The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
>Intelligent System with the following characteristics. The system
>is to run in real time and be portable. Memory and processing units
>must be in the same enclosure, run on low power and not overheat.
>(a) Full colour binocular vision, with motion perception.
>(b) Speech processing and speech synthesis.
>(c) Natural language ability :-
>    (1) Semantic ability
>    (2) Translation.
>    (3) Ability to summarise.
>    (4) Humour (optional).
>(d) Learning ability.
>(e) Ability to control a large number of servo mechanisms, with strength
>    and sensitivity.
>(f) Other tasks, as yet unspecified, but the system must be able
>    to cope with extra requirements, as and when the need arises,
>    using characteristic (d).
>Queries: Time to completion? Cost?

My associate (translation: "wife") and I just succeeded with your
third such unit.  The first unit has already mastered the Natural
Language Ability section, although (c.4) is still in the planning
stages.

The second unit is having trouble with (e).  However we do not
considered this to be a system failure, as we have the full
expectation that additional funding and research will cause this unit
to begin functioning with better motor/servo control.

The second unit requires certain cloth devices to be applied, there
being occasional, unpredictable, and uncontrollable leaks at the
output.  However the first unit appears to have mastered control of
(his) output ports, by application of principle (f).

Another anomaly: although the first unit has "strength" as in (e),
"sensitivity" is somewhat lacking at the present (translation: "He
breaks things a lot").  It is our _SINCERE_ desire that not _TOO_ much
additional funding will be required before this new feature can be
implemented.

The third unit has just emerged from the planning stage.  Even though
this is the latest unit, we do not expect a quantum leap in
functionality, although by repeated application of principle (d),
anything is possible.

My associate and I consider the ongoing advancement of these units to
be challenging, their production has been quite stimulating.  [joke
about their original conception deleted -- this is a family newsgroup]

We have a concern that we have not met one of the original project
goals.  Clearly our units have not demonstrated any "overheating"
problems up to the present, but we feel they may fail at operating at
low "consumption", especially in the long range analysis (translation:
"teen age years").  Our Forward Looking predictions and surveys of
similar units (which are already in the field) indicate that the cost
may exceed the present budget, for which reason I am evaluating
alternative funding sources.

The total costs appear to be astronomical.  Again, due to our field
studies of other units which are 15 to 18 years old, we predict each
unit will require its own communication mechanism with its own ringing
device.

Furthermore, others have indicated that approximately half of the
units in the field consume increasingly large amounts of time in self
examination, especially front of the family mirror.  Although there
seems to be an emphasis on self improvement, each such improvement
appears to cost the originators of the project, rather than the units
themselves.

CONCLUSION: My associate and I are extremely pleased with our units.
However we have been as yet unable to publish our results as original
contributions to the extant literature.  Nonetheless we are already
looking forward to future attempts, whether successful or not, at
producing additional units.

Marshall
	Marshall P. Cline	ARPA:	cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
	ECE Department		UseNet:	uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!cline
	Clarkson University	BitNet:	BH0W@CLUTX
	Potsdam, NY  13676	AT&T:	315-268-6591

russell@minster.york.ac.uk (06/22/89)

In <300@ucl-cs.UUCP>, Gordon outlines the specification
for a real-time, portable intelligent system, with
>(a) Full colour binocular vision, with motion perception.
>(b) Speech processing and speech synthesis.
>(c) Natural language ability :-
>  (1) Semantic ability
>  (2) Translation.
>  (3) Ability to summarise.
>  (4) Humour (optional).
>(d) Learning ability.
>(e) Ability to control a large number of
>   servo mechanisms, with strength
>   and sensitivity.
>(f) Other tasks, as yet unspecified,
>    but the system must be able
>    to cope with extra requirements,
>    as and when the need arises,
>    using characteristic (d).

He then asks,
>Queries: Time to completion? Cost?

What is this?  Or, more sensibly, why do you want to do this?
In my opinion, I could have fun creating such a system, at a cost of
approximately 4 thousand pounds.

In more detail:

Project conception: 9 months.
Project learning and maturing: 5 years.
Costs based on a tenner a week for fuelling the system,
and five a week for encasing it.

Russell.
:-)

Gordon@ucl-cs.UUCP (06/25/89)

< From: Marshall Cline <cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
< Newsgroups: comp.ai
< Subject: Re: Plan 5 for Inner Space - A Sense of Mind.
< Date: 20 Jun 89 18:26:50 GMT
< Sender: news@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
<
< [  Sorry. Couldn't resist.  :-)  ]
<
[...]
< [...]

As usual, more interest in the implementation than the design.

Gordon.